vegan burgers at McDonalds?

Rex

I'm sure many of you know about fast-food restaurants now offering vegan food, but is it vegan? The food, who knows if its really vegan, but I mean is the action right? Isn't eating a vegan burger at BK or McDonalds just like eating a meat burger? I'm saying this because you're still supporting their cruelty to animals by consuming their products. Let me know what everyone thinks about this.

look.. if you buy ''vegan'' burgers from mcdonald or any other fast-food place, it's obvious that you're going to help mcdonalds, and at the same time you're telling mcdonalds what to produce.. and because mcdonald is so ''mainstream'', a lot of people out there will get to know more vegan stuff.. and perhaps even be more open-minded about it.. in which is a good thing.

it's a way to make vegan... friendly.

I agree with both of you, I know it sends a message but many fast-food places don't even let people know that they provide vegan burgers. Before I went vegan, I never knew BK provided vegan burgers and McDonald's doesn't even have it listed on its menu. I've never seen BK announcing vegan burgers, like they do with the whopper. Maybe you're right we just need to consume more and let them know about our demanding veganism, but then again you're helping them provide cruelty to animals with your own money.

I agree with both of you, I know it sends a message but many fast-food places don't even let people know that they provide vegan burgers. Before I went vegan, I never knew BK provided vegan burgers and McDonald's doesn't even have it listed on its menu. I've never seen BK announcing vegan burgers, like they do with the whopper. Maybe you're right we just need to consume more and let them know about our demanding veganism, but then again you're helping them provide cruelty to animals with your own money.

the bk-burgers are not vegan.. they contain both eggs and dairy..

the only one that i know that sells vegan burger is Johnny Rockets..

they have a vegan option called ''streamliner''.. w/ the soy burger from boca. and some other stuff.. it's obviously not the healthiest thing in town.. but it's a good place for a lazy teenager to go with his girlfriend..

and if you're buying something from mcdonalds, of course you're going to give them more money for more cruelty to animals, just like if you go to walmart or publix and buy stuff from them, their goal is not to kill animals, but to make profit, the point is, that they're not going to use their meat if you buy soy, therefore, they're going to need more soy, and less meat, and that's going to be available for everybody..

Edited by andgbr

If they do sell real vegan burgers(as some McDonalds do...haven't been to one in years though) its kinda a good thing. Even if it gets a little popular it slows the production line and has potential to remove something else from the menu. I know it'll never outsell a big mac but say it outsells the fish fillet sandwhich or something...thats a good think in my opinion.

If they do sell real vegan burgers(as some McDonalds do...haven't been to one in years though) its kinda a good thing. Even if it gets a little popular it slows the production line and has potential to remove something else from the menu. I know it'll never outsell a big mac but say it outsells the fish fillet sandwhich or something...thats a good think in my opinion.

who knows, everybody start buying vegan from mcdonalds.. sooner or later they add another vegan friendly option..

vegans will have more places to kill themselves without killing animals, and be able to socialize more..

if we really want to persuade people into veganism, we cannot act like a bunch of outcasts..( not in public.. lol )

The real vegans will choose better places to buy their food.

The thing I like about the health conscious type of people is that they know how to be a smart consumer in regards to their food(at least it appears this way to me).

Sure, things are becoming a little more green and such nowadays, and its ok that people will jump on the bandwagon, but the ones who really want to take charge of their health and what they eat will find the knowledge to make the best choices and make sure that they go out of their way to do what is best for them or others.

hm?

well vegans are vegans,

I'm just saying everyone is at different levels, but do you think the majority of them eat from mcdonalds?

I would doubt that a vegan with alot of experience being vegan would choose to eat at mcdonalds for most of their food.

McDonalds have a vegan burger at their joints in Sweden. I've tried it once for fun and it was ok. When it comes to fast food I prefer other things though, like falafel.

McDonalds isn't big because they exploit animals and the planet, it's big because it gives customers what they want. If someone can produce vegan food that addicted (to junk food) people like, it's McDonalds.

real vegans? pff...

well, i wouldn't eat anything from mcdonalds even if it was vegan... because mcdonalds only knows how to produce garbage.. but having a vegan option helps a lot those trying to end the ''meat-addiction''....

it's a start.

i agree with you to the point that we all should be eating healthy stuff in which would bring more people into veganism, but the majority of people like unhealthy stuff, so, if we're planning to make people go vegan, the easiest way is through a similar diet ( full of sodium and processeds, and toxins, etc.. ). don't you think?

and then, we try to persuade them into a healthier vegan diet.. ( whole-foods > etc.. )

like you said, there are ''levels'' of veganism..

not everyone can start from the middle..

REAL VEGANS do what is neccessary to force change. This will force change. If vegans only support vegan businesses thats fine but vegan businesses will only grow so big. However we can make places more vegan friendly which has the potential of making veganism an easier choice for those who have trouble doing so.

Anyway of course the MAJORITY of vegans don't eat at McDonalds because most of them don't have anything to eat yet. Buying at non vegan grocers is what has made Soy Milk and other things like Boca available to nearly everyone. This makes those foods available to those who aren't vegan and its worth giving them the chance. I know people that aren't vegan but like Boca more than regular burgers so they buy them because they taste better and its available. If your mindset of REAL VEGANS were taken(I'm assuming you never go shopping at major grocery chains right) these people would be killing more cows.

In my opinion, what is more important:

Getting McDonalds to have vegan alternatives

or

Spending your money in an independent healthfood shop which already has dozens of vegan items

I think the latter is far more important, given that companies like McDonalds make it harder for smaller companies, as well as being highly unethical. If people eat a vegan meal at McDonalds, it's not like I think that's the end of the world. But I don't think the motivation really makes sense.

My biggest problem would be trusting that the food were actually VEGAN...if it were then I'd probably eat there on occation. Even if it were a completely VEGAN fast food place its still better to not eat fast food...anyway if you do support a fast food place that has vegan options it may get them to carry the options everywhere. It is good to support a local store but it also can only go so far in terms of benefiting veganism because they are small and probably want to stay that way.

Ehhh...I doubt it had anything special in it anyway. Chances are it tastes good as they are looking to establish a market but I doubt it would be healthy if it were cheap...its probably got lots of yummy gluten, corn meal, TVP and God knows what else. I don't think its losing anything if it doesn't have anything but protein and fat in it anyhow...oh and the 1g of fiber in the white bread

they have a vegan option called ''streamliner''.. w/ the soy burger from boca. and some other stuff.. it's obviously not the healthiest thing in town.. but it's a good place for a lazy teenager to go with his girlfriend..

Beware, the french fries at Johnny Rockets are not vegetarian. They have beef in the flavoring.

McDonalds have a vegan burger at their joints in Sweden. I've tried it once for fun and it was ok. When it comes to fast food I prefer other things though, like falafel.

They do? I thought they skipped that one years ago. I don't thik they have any down here - but what do I know? I haven't been there in 6 years or so..

Falafel rocks! In Malmö we have falafel joints in every corner. 15 spänn! ($2) One place still sells them for 10 though.

Beware, the french fries at Johnny Rockets are not vegetarian. They have beef in the flavoring.

lucky me i never ate those french fries.. lol..

i have only been there once ( about 1 year ago.. ).. and the streamliner was the only thing that i felt like eating..

They do? I thought they skipped that one years ago. I don't thik they have any down here - but what do I know? I haven't been there in 6 years or so..

Falafel rocks! In Malmö we have falafel joints in every corner. 15 spänn! ($2) One place still sells them for 10 though.

Yup, the McBean is vegan. I had one this sunday.

If you're in Gothenburg, go to Kungstorget for falafel (and Angered after what I've heard). They're so good you almost start crying. Seriously.