Howdy

kalozojo

Welcome! I really enjoy Wyoming. I haven't been in years, but I've driven through a few times during my cross country travels.

Thanks for finding our online vegan community. We have an awesome group here and I've made a lot of friends. I'm sure you'll do the same.

All the best and welcome aboard!

Hello & Welcome!

What part of Wyoming are ya in? I lived in Laramie for a couple of years - it's a lot better socially than many folks think. Sadly, the only association most folks have with the town is the atrocity commited against Matthew Shepard... Oh yeah, where did ya move to WY from?

I am in Laramie, Wy...We really like it here. We moved here from Amarillo , TX. At first we joked how terrible it was that we were moving from the town known for killing Brian Deneke to the town known for killing Matthew Shepard...we had a hate crime theme going! (Incidently, Brian was a friend of mine...and before anyone asks...no he was not vegetarian, though we had many discussions about it) I had heard so much about the nazis other white supremecists here in this part of the country, but so far I haven't seen too much of it. I guess you were probably at UW, you don't seem like a Wyotech guy, though I could be mistaken. I am starting my graduate experience here in their History program. I'll be studying Native American ethno-History with a graduate minor in American Indian Studies...fun,fun,fun! How about you? What did you study? (I'm just assuming you came here as a student, since you were here only a few years and 1/3 of the population is college students)

If I can expand on why we like Laramie so much...

First off, to our great surprise, there is actually a vegetarian restaraunt here (Sweet Melissa's) and they know what vegan is! (In Texas a girl once said... "Oh, you don't eat any animal products? What do they call people like that, vagabonds?"-Seriously, she said that!!! HE-larious!) Anyways, the food is great and all dishes are labled vegan or lacto-ovo so its real easy to find something good to eat!

The mountains are absolutely amazing here!!! We really enjoy taking the dogs to The mountains and letting them run free through the trails...though we do keep an eye out for other hikers and their dogs...our dogs are big and friendly, but I can see how they can be scary running up on you in the woods! The first time we were there they went out of their minds with excitement! I hope that makes up for the 10 hour drive they had to endure to get here!

So far the people here seem to be pretty nice...but because of the sparce population we haven't had to deal with too many, and thats actually kinda nice for a change...

I noticed an "Earth Ship" in the town of Centennial outside of Medicine Bow/Snowy Range...in case you don't know...thats a house made out of tires and cans...solar powered...collects rain water in a cistern and recycles the gray water for planters in the south facing rooms of the house...completely self sufficient...I worked on a few in Texas and I'm anxious to approach the owners and ask how their house has been working (there weere some gliches in early designs). Even with some of the design problems they are extremely cool and despite the sound, they can be quite attractive. The first one I built is actually a spa now...

Welcome! I lived in Laramie as well (with loveliberate) and we actually moved there for a job and to live closer to our friends who lived there at the time. We enjoyed it while we lived there and the nature is very nice. Laramie is cooler than most people might think, probably because of the University. We also like going to Ft. Collins once in a while...there are many more healthfood store options (including the Co-op). Plus getting vegan Asian food in Laramie is next to impossible (if you like flavor).

Since moving to Portland we often joke [sarcastically] about "When are we going back to Laramie?"

Being vegan here is easy and almost carefree. It is the best place we have ever lived in many ways but especially for being vegan.

Enjoy your time in Laramie, I am assuming you have found Medicine Bow Natural Foods and the other one around the corner. There is also a cool outdoor shop where they make just about everything right there. They also have big 50% off sales a couple of times a year that are like a party with food and drinks!

They were starting to get a nice Farmers Market going and the folks who are building the Earth Ship in Centennial are Potters and sell their Pottery there and are very open to bringing folks out to see their place.

UW brings in tons of awesome social ans cultural events for free or cheap that are totally worth checking out, and anywhere else you would pay top dollar. We saw Michael Franti, Chuck D (speaking) and the Wailers all for free!

If you are into Nature....the UW outdoor school, a couple of local conservation groups, and even the Forest Service all have group led hikes and events that are fun and informative. Cross Country skiing is big out there! the local Herb shop does Herb walks and other events as well. Most of these are free / donation/ reasonably priced and take place not just in the immediate area around Laramie, but around Wyoming and even into adjacent states.

My suggestion for visiting the wilderness is to take a trip out to the Red Desert. Also I recommend a trip to some of the hot springs on the back side (west side) of the Medicine Bow.

We made great friends in Laramie, people who have since scattered all around but we are still close with them.

The co-op shut down about 3 months ago- at least that is what we were told. For vegetarian food supplies we must go to Ft. Collins. The farmers market is pretty cool, but very few veggies/farmers, at least this early. Mostly bread, bison meat, musicians, hotsauce and a potter. When we go again Friday I will speak with the potters to see if they are the ones fron Centennial.

We love Ft. Collins as well...there is a great Mediterrainan restaraunt called Al salams-incredible food! We also enjoy Boulder and the Falafel King there...not bad for Med. fast food! The Left Hand Book collective is awesome there...great stuff!

After we do our time in Laramie we hope to relocate to the Seattle area...my wife's family has a house and land in Snoqualmie...that place is BEAUTIFUL! I'm convinced Seattle is the greatest city in the world!

We love Ft. Collins as well...there is a great Mediterrainan restaraunt called Al salams-incredible food! We also enjoy Boulder and the Falafel King there...not bad for Med. fast food!

I just moved to Portland from the Ft.Collins area. My favorite place in Ft. Collins is Avogadro's Number... they make a really good tempeh "burger" and they will happily veganize it by replacing the cheese with avocado on request. It's a fun atmosphere especially in the summer, they often have live music out on a huge patio. Also, when in Boulder try VG Burgers for vegan fast food, The Leaf for gourmet vegan dishes, and there is a little store called The Three Little Figs. It is 100% vegan and the people who own it are sooooo friendly. They often have small events going on like vegan mac & cheese contest/ chili cookoffs, etc. If you are ever in Denver you must go to Watercourse. They have an amazing menu that everything can be made vegan, and even more amazing vegan desserts.. Ginger Pear "cheese"cake... sooooo gooooood. I've also eaten at Sweet Melissa's in Laramie... very good chili

Watercourse IS awesome! Where are the other places you mentioned in Boulder? Are they on Pearl St.? We ate at Turley's a few times, not exclusively vegetarian, but a few good dishes.

It is so hard for us to eat anywhere other than Al-Salams when we are in Ft. Collins...we love that place so much! And the owner is so incredibly nice! After our children were born, on their first visit he gave them gifts!

Also...what is up with the mass migration to Portland?! Is it primarily due to friends made on this site or is their something else going on? I've noticed several people have moved from either this area or others to Portland.

There were 2 natural foods stores when we were in Laramie: Medicine Bow & Whole Earth Grainery. They are (were?) literally right across the alley from each other. Here's a Happy Cow link that includes their addresses, etc: http://happycow.net/north_america/usa/wyoming/laramie/index.html

But even if they are gone, the Safeway has a good amount of natural foods that are vegan. Heck, even WalMart has some decent options.

I think they're both gone now...but I will definately double check...as for Safeway...VERY expensive more than $4 for Silk milk, though they occasionally have tofu 10 blocks for $10-not quite the deal we were used to (5 gal. bucket for $15-approx. .30 cents a block) but not too bad. Even plain old veggies and fruit are outrageously priced there, but we 're finding some bargains here and there...

Sprawl-Mart actually has a "generic" Soy milk, and its not too bad, alot like Silk- but we feel bad cause we'd like to support White Wave, I think we'll compromise and buy both.

Why do you like to support white wave??? They are owned by the largest Dairy Company in the US. I have no problem with it because they have made soymilk mainstream but there are far better businesses out there now

For just that reason...they made good soymilk and tofu and other vegan products fairly mainstream...I do feel a certain amount of brand loyalty...honestly I didn't know they were owned by dairy manufactureres and find that a bit odd since they were sued a few years back by the dairy industry for calling their product "milk". But then those bastards would sue their moms if they thought it'd make 'em an extra buck!Besides, at this point Rupert Murdoch and PepsiCO own just about EVERYTHING, so all is lost anyways...

Come to think of it, I had a friend who worked for White Wave and he seemed a bit bitter towards them...I think it had to do with employee treatment, but I'm not sure, he never really elaborated...either way, if I find a worker owned collective that sells 1/2 way decent soy milk, tofu, etc...I'll change...but til then I guess I'll be on the White Wave...

If I remember right there may be a buying co op in Laramie. Folks get together and make an order and then the truck comes a couple of times a month and delivers the goods. We have lived in many small towns and learned to basically shop for the month, and then we would go to the nearby bigger town / city and shop 1x a month. Now I have a hard time not shopping by the month!

Unfortunately a lot of times in small towns the corporate products win by default. We used to get Silk ( I really like Silk) at Wallyworld when we really needed it, cause they had it and it was cheap there.