What Melons aren't GMO?

I think you can never really tell. Lots of things(probably most) are modified and you can't tell because they are trying to get tiny advantages that may not be visual. You'd have to go to the farm and even they may not even know for sure.

I know that the seedless ones are GMO. If it has a label on it, look for these numbers. Conventionally grown fruits and vegetables have 4 digit numbers, and generally start with a 3 or a 4; organically grown fruits and vegetables have 5 digits and start with a 9; genetically modified produce also have 5 digits and begin with an 8. For example, the PLU for a conventionally grown banana is 4011; an organic banana is coded 94011; and a genetically modified banana is 84011.

I know that the seedless ones are GMO. If it has a label on it, look for these numbers. Conventionally grown fruits and vegetables have 4 digit numbers, and generally start with a 3 or a 4; organically grown fruits and vegetables have 5 digits and start with a 9; genetically modified produce also have 5 digits and begin with an 8. For example, the PLU for a conventionally grown banana is 4011; an organic banana is coded 94011; and a genetically modified banana is 84011.

Is that always the case? That's interesing. I'm assuming they're the same numbers in Canada. I know bananas are 4011 here. I'm going to check that when I'm at the grocery store tomorrow. Thanks!

I find it hard to believe the 4011 banana is conventionally grown. Its the most popular produce object there is and I doubt its not modified. Even though they say its not I simply don't believe it. When money is in the way I think people are more than willing to lie about things.

Is that always the case? That's interesing. I'm assuming they're the same numbers in Canada. I know bananas are 4011 here. I'm going to check that when I'm at the grocery store tomorrow. Thanks!

GMO is illegal in the EU and we have both seedless grapes and watermelon.

i come across melons and other fruits like watermelon that are seedless. this always puzzles me and i avoid them.

how can a fruit be seedless? doesnt that go against the definition of what a fruit is?

i wish people would stop tampering with food

Really seedless watermelons aren't seedless. They have seeds that don't have shells on them. This renders them unable to germinate new melons but they are still seeds. Grapes are a bit different though. They have small sacks in them that would be where a seed belongs...its hard to see them though.

Personally, I don't see a problem with most gmo, I guess it depends on what it is. Nature does it too, but thinks like adding sugar and sweetening things I'm not such a fan of, but I do like seedless if that was the only thing they did.

Edited by Zack

Personally I think hybrids are pretty much the same thing. Its just a slower process with a smaller number of alterations that can be made. Unless its accidental and done in nature its not all that natural. Its like people having kids together just to have a smart child or an athlete...you can do it from a sperm bank and call in very unnatural or you can do it the old way. The good are still the same but the process is only a tiny bit different.

I've never heard of GMO bananas. I can never find a good list, or how to avoid GMO's on the net. Does anyone know a good site?

So I went shopping yesterday without much hope for non-GMO melon, and I found the un-amaginable!: At a produce stand - Org Watermelon for........29 cents a lb.!!!

That's cheaper than ANY produce I've seen. The average for produce here is $1 lb.

I'm actually quite confused on the GMO thing...same goes for meat even though I'll never buy it. There are non-GMO and non-Hormone fed cows that are sold as organic to the public but the chances that they are from an organic bloodline is nil. I wonder if its the same with organic produce. Maybe some in non-GMO now but what about the seeds they came from or the seeds those came from. Also much depends on the soil. Soil that has been abused still leaves significant contaminants for years(decades and possibly even centuries in the future) on end even if a new farmer farms it ethically.

Personally I think hybrids are pretty much the same thing. Its just a slower process with a smaller number of alterations that can be made. Unless its accidental and done in nature its not all that natural. Its like people having kids together just to have a smart child or an athlete...you can do it from a sperm bank and call in very unnatural or you can do it the old way. The good are still the same but the process is only a tiny bit different.

Actually I think it is more like taking lumberjacks and cross breaking them with chimpanzees over and over again until you get the "perfect" offspring that can climb trees and still take orders to run a chainsaw then cloning that sterile freak over and over until you have an army of chimp tree destroyers.