How good would a glass of whine be for me?

Let's say I buy a bottle of Organic/Vegan Red Whine and have a glass every night with my usual dinner( USually Whole Wheat + Flax Penne Pasta and Organic Spinach) How healthy is that? I heard wine helps the blood. But I have been deftly afraid of alchohol for two reasons. ist and foremost I heard Alchohol is the number one reason for Spontaneous combustion and second I like living sober. But if it's good for the blood I would gladly have a small glass every night.

I think wine is probably pretty good for you if you can stand to have one drink or two at most. I don't drink because I don't feel good when I train if I drink but if I'm not training, a bit of alcohol actually feels good. As for spontaneous combustion...its very very rare(even more rare than that) and trust me...you can't light wine on fire or blow it up. There isn't even close to enough alcohol in it.

first and foremost I heard Alchohol is the number one reason for Spontaneous combustion.

ya that happened to my friend. it was sad.

i've heard wine is good for you. i'm not a big fan. i think it tastes bad and it gives me heart burn. but i've also heard any form of alcohol is evil because it kills every cell it comes in contact with. I don't know if i believe that either. do what makes you happy pink man. do it!

"how about some cheese with that whine???"

Most experts I've read say, whatever you do, don't START drinking just because there might be a heart benefit! (unproven benefit at that.)

Alcohol is one of the worst drugs out there.

EDIT: And you have to be sure to get vegan wine, which can be a pain in the ass.

I don't know why there is such a knocking of wine here. At least for health issues. Sardinians are some of the oldest people on the planet. They tend to be small and all drink over 1 glass of wine a day. I really think wine may have a lot to do with that. I'm not advocating that people drink wine but I really don't think a glass every now and then will do any damage to someone.

I don't know why there is such a knocking of wine here. At least for health issues. Sardinians are some of the oldest people on the planet. They tend to be small and all drink over 1 glass of wine a day. I really think wine may have a lot to do with that. I'm not advocating that people drink wine but I really don't think a glass every now and then will do any damage to someone.

I'm not sure what their diets are like. Out of courtesy, do you know veganpotter? My mindset is that anything harmful for the body in any amount is still harmful for the body. Anything else is a rationalization.

For the most part they eat a lot of pasta, fresh produce, lots of olive oil, small amounts of cheese every day along with the wine. As for things being harmful...pretty much every vitamin is toxic if you have too much. Water is toxic and potassium can basically make your whole body one big cramp...this includes your heart. However these things don't happen and wine in moderation won't do a thing to you but drinking over a gallon of orange juice a day will likely cause more harm in the long run than drinking a few glasses of wine every day.

I'm doing the best I can to keep toxins out of my body. I realize there is toxic in everything, but I'm not gonna give into something just because it doesn't have an enormous amount of poisons. I only put toxins into my body if I have to or I don't have the tools to filter them out. I just have a different standard of how much I should care for my body. What's wrong with this? Nothing. Yes, wine probably won't take that much time off of your life. Still, I keep bad things out as much as possible (even if wine would only take 10 minutes off my life). Other things I keep away from also add to my longevity. All of these good choices become cumulative to extending your life. That's why I'm so strict.

Actually I really think wine can even extend lifespan and lots of people agree. I think it likely does. Plus there is the mental aspect to things. Happy people live longer and if your not relying on alcohol to make you happy but a small amount makes you feel good that has mental benefits you may not get from anything else. Anyhow if anything it will damage your liver since your liver is there and does filter alcohol but it'll take quite a bit of alcohol to do that...which is why so many alcoholics die of something else other than liver failure. You've gotta pick and chose but if you think about it most greens have oxalic acid in fairly high amounts and some are recommending not eating vegetables that are high in them(such as spinach) but its obvious people are eating spinach left and right and not dying from being poisoned by the stuff.

^ Oh man and I am a Spinach-a-holic. Man I love that stuff. I once even made Spinach cookies

as for the subject which I have created. Both sides make excellent points. For one thing there is toxins in everything. Like carrots and tomatoes for example. After watching Scrubs and seeing sombody turning orange after consuming too much tomatoes and carrots I thought it would be fun to try that to make my skin orange. But alas I found out it's toxic ;-;. No Oompa Loompa for me ^_^

If I can't find any vegan and organic fine wines I will find some grape juice to use instead.

Dr. Pink, don't be worried if your skin turns orange after eating too many carrots - it's harmless. There is a pre-cursor to vitamin A in carrots and your body will not convert more than it needs. I can't remember what the color change is exactly but I do know that it's harmless and temporary.

Formed vitamin A, such as that found in liver and other animal products or vitamin pills, can be toxic if ingested in large enough quantities.

DV will slap me for this but if you want to be safe just go with Sutter Home. All of the wine they make is vegan and sometimes its under $5 a bottle. Some brands make some wines that are vegan while others they make aren't so I stick with Sutter Home because its easy. Also if you pretend its expensive it'll taste good too.