I always feel bloated... and it shows

gymgirl

I have been animal free for about one month now. I love the way I feel! I have so much more engergy! My only comaplaint is that I feel bloated most of the time and my stomach often LOOKS bloated. I'm not happy about this at all. I did go about 80% raw as well, I'm thinking maybe that's why? Any thoughts on this? Anything I can do to improve the situation?

Thanks for the link! I'm going to check it out. I actually just finished reading Brendon Braziers "Thrive" books, so I am following a lot of his receipes. Have you read either of these? This book has made my transition so much easier. I am eating a lot of nuts, seeds, legumes, some fruits and large salads with spianch and miixed greens. I aviod soy and I have a gluten allergy so I steert clear of that. I'm wondering if my body is just adjusting to all of these nuts sees and legumes and that's why I'm bloated? I just wish it would pass. My typical day might be somehthing like this:

1.) dates

workout (wieght training and running or biking usually)

"recovery drink" or "recovery pudding"

2. raw Cereal or pancakes w/ fruit

3.)smoothie, raw energy bars or lg salad

4.) usually an option from one of the above

dinnner is raw soup, raw zuch. pasta, buger, or pizza

i haven't read any of his books, but i see them mentioned on here a lot. would you recommend that i check them out?

you mentioned that you are eating a lot of nuts and seeds. do you soak them first? nuts and seeds have enzyme inhibitors on them, which are released by soaking. typically it is best to soak nuts for a few hours, then to rinse them really well and allow them to dry. almonds, walnuts, etc.

seeds take less time to soak and are really easy to sprout. have you gotten into sprouting at all?

i would suggest eating more bananas and avocados and dense foods like that, which are easier to digest than nuts. also, try eating one food at a time, to see if you can pinpoint specific foods that give you trouble. otherwise it might be the enzyme inhibitors in nuts and seeds, or improper food combining. hopefully these ideas help! (i used to be bloated all of the time from cooked food. sometimes i looked pregnant! )

Thanks for the link! I'm going to check it out. I actually just finished reading Brendon Braziers "Thrive" books, so I am following a lot of his receipes. Have you read either of these? This book has made my transition so much easier. I am eating a lot of nuts, seeds, legumes, some fruits and large salads with spianch and miixed greens. I aviod soy and I have a gluten allergy so I steert clear of that. I'm wondering if my body is just adjusting to all of these nuts sees and legumes and that's why I'm bloated? I just wish it would pass. My typical day might be somehthing like this:

1.) dates

workout (wieght training and running or biking usually)

"recovery drink" or "recovery pudding"

2. raw Cereal or pancakes w/ fruit

3.)smoothie, raw energy bars or lg salad

4.) usually an option from one of the above

dinnner is raw soup, raw zuch. pasta, buger, or pizza

Are you soaking your seeds and nuts? I usually avoid nuts and seeds in my diet and I sub a avacado because it's easier to digest. In the morning I graze off fruits, dark greens, and vegetables.

Also it's normal to feel bloated the first couple of weeks when you're first transition. How long have you been Vegan for?

thanks for all the suggestions!!! very helpful!

I do soak the beans, but i haven't been soaking the nuts and seeds. how long should i soak them? someone told me soaking is not neccessary, but it seems that all other info suggest otherwise. i think you may have pin pointed my poblem! I will try that and see if it helps.

i like the suggestion on the banana's and advocado's too!

i have read a bit about sprouting, but i haven't done anything w/ it yet. it dosen't sound too complicated, but how time consuming is it?

i would reccomend brendon's books. as a beginer,i found them very helpful. he does have a lot of great info in them so i think anyone and everyone could benfit from them. talks a lot about how stress (different types) impacts the body and recovery. do you know of any other good books for raw vegans? i heard about a restaurant in new york city that i would like to go to when we finally make it there called "raw food and wine". i saw they have a cookbook out too w/ a simialr titile.

i don't want to look pregant either i had a bit of a problem when i ate animals and cooked food as well. lately it seems to be more of a problem. thanks again for all the great suggestions! i'm going to give them a try.

tasha..

i like the idea of subing advocado's. i do like the nuts and seeds though haven't been soaking them, but i see its time i start. how long do they need to be soaked?

i am a new vegan, only about a month. i did it all at once too, not much of a transition at all. one day i was eating chicken and fish... the next was nuts, seeds, beans... and the rest is history do you think the bloating goes away for most people after awhile?

tasha..

i like the idea of subing advocado's. i do like the nuts and seeds though haven't been soaking them, but i see its time i start. how long do they need to be soaked?

i am a new vegan, only about a month. i did it all at once too, not much of a transition at all. one day i was eating chicken and fish... the next was nuts, seeds, beans... and the rest is history do you think the bloating goes away for most people after awhile?

That's awesome Gymgirl. Good for you

Do you have some support ?

Soaking nuts and seeds just help digesting them (which will make you feel less bloated and gasey. Soaking also takes most of the fats out. You just have to soak them over night. You could still soak them if you grinding them too..

If you liked Brendan's books. You should see if he is out in your area and go to one of his siminars

very interesting about soaking the nust and taking the fat out. i didn't know that. one other question on soaking, should sesame seed be soaked also?

my husband is very suppotive. at fist he thought i was nuts (in that loving sort of way ), but he has been my biggest supporter. he siad there was no way he was giving up his meat (that's fine), but more and more he's wanting to eat my vegan dishes. he's even requesting them!

have you ever been to brendon's seminars? i have looked at where they are, it seemed that most of what i saw he is in canada and california. i live near pittsburgh, i haven't seen anything close. maybe i'll keep checking.

thanks for all you're help! i really aprreciate it!!!

very interesting about soaking the nust and taking the fat out. i didn't know that. one other question on soaking, should sesame seed be soaked also?

my husband is very suppotive. at fist he thought i was nuts (in that loving sort of way ), but he has been my biggest supporter. he siad there was no way he was giving up his meat (that's fine), but more and more he's wanting to eat my vegan dishes. he's even requesting them!

have you ever been to brendon's seminars? i have looked at where they are, it seemed that most of what i saw he is in canada and california. i live near pittsburgh, i haven't seen anything close. maybe i'll keep checking.

thanks for all you're help! i really aprreciate it!!!

That's awesome Gymgirl. I've have been to Brendan's siminar.. He came to Victoria a few months ago. Yes he's from Vancouver and his work is mostly in LA. But he should be tourning all over NA hopfully near your place. You should find out if he's going by your neibourhood.

Lotus is right you should be drinking a lot of water.

Also do you find you're eating more?

If so just keep a small eye on your calories. no biggy !

I'm glad I was a help to you

good luck with your transition

thanks again everyone! i will keep an eye out for brendon's seminar's. i really enjoyed his books!

i drink tons of water. i'm always in the bathroom. i think a big part of my problem is maybe not drinking so much while i eat and the soaking... i have also added diegestive enzymes again. i got away from those for a while. i have a tendency to inhale my food as well. i just love food! i know that isn't good and that can contribute to bloating as well. thanks agian for all the input! it's greatly appreciated!!!

HI Gymgirl;

It sounds like you've picked up a lot of great info here already. Thanks to everyone who posted. I love to hear from veterans!

I would recommend checking out Alissa Cohen's website. She's a raw foodist and has a great 'Un'- Cook Book (which I just purchased). It's very extensive and big (weighs 7 lbs!). Definitely worth it if you are heading on a raw journey.

www.alissacohen.com

Also, her message board,

www.rawfoodtalk.com

I am currently doing a cleanse but will get back to soaking and sprouting like you soon after!

Ciao!

Hi gymgirl and welcome!

Here's bit of my story, I am a 40 year old woman that became vegan over a year ago after reading "The China Study" by Colin Campbell. I had been veg a few months before because of John Robbins books. I've been overweight now for almost 11 years after the birth of my son cos I gained 60 pounds during the pregnancy and I only lost 20 after his birth. Going vegan helped me lose another twenty, but only since I've become almost 100% raw have I finally managed to lose the last 20. I really believe in raw, but I think there is wrong ways to do it too. For example, eating lots of nuts and seeds will bring your fat caloric intake to probably over 50% of your total calories and all health experts (raw or not) recommend keeping fat calories down to a maximum of 10% per day. Yes, raw nut fat is better than animal fat, but fat is fat is still fat and it will give you absorption problems, B12 problems and a host of other health problems down the road. The best way to go raw is Dr. Douglas Graham's method as described in his book 80/10/10 which can be found at www.foodnsport.com. You will feel and look much better following his raw diet-I'm sure of it.

Good luck with your goals and keep us posted.

hey thanks! wow... all the great info is almost overwhelming.... i'll take it though!

veganitalinana : great story!! you answered something i was wondering about.... eating too many nuts and seeds. i'm going to check out that link! you were reading my mind! i read brendon braizer's "thrive diet". i have been following a lot of his recipes, which does consisit of a lot of nuts, seeds, legumes. are you familiar w/ his book? i found it very inspiring, but i was wondering if it consisted of too many nuts and seeds for me. i think i read somewhere on here that someone else thought the same thing.

shesfit: i love hearing from veterans too! there is so much great info here. the feedback has been phenomenal! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! this is so great! i'm going to check out that link, and the book too. 7 lbs... wow. i always said i liked to read, so i guess this will suite me well.

veganitalinana : great story!! you answered something i was wondering about.... eating too many nuts and seeds. i'm going to check out that link! you were reading my mind! i read brendon braizer's "thrive diet". i have been following a lot of his recipes, which does consisit of a lot of nuts, seeds, legumes. are you familiar w/ his book? i found it very inspiring, but i was wondering if it consisted of too many nuts and seeds for me. i think i read somewhere on here that someone else thought the same thing.

I haven't read anything from Brandon, sorry I can't help you out with his stuff more. Have a look at past topics, if I'm not mistaken it probably came up before. Ciao

• 4 weeks later...