Vegan Wetsuit??

do I really have to throw away my quadruple layer leather wetsuit. C'mon people!

Personally I'd say no... I have alot of leather shoes purchased before I made the decision... do I still wear them?... yes. Sooner or later I may sell them or they may wear out but, like Zack said in a thread when I asked about my shoes... "cow is already dead, just wear them". When I get time, ebay may want them and then I may purchase something more friendly but as of right now I'm wearing them and I don't really care if people judge me for it... I know I have made a change and I'm now aware to make better decisions with future purchases.

Troy says:

Lean and Green wrote:

do I really have to throw away my quadruple layer leather wetsuit. C'mon people!

Personally I'd say no...

I was kidding, lol. I didn't think they made leather wetsuits, I have only seen or used synthetic fabric ones. I looked it up and it seems I may perhaps be mistaken, oops.

Well anyways, I hear ya. I cycled out most of my old leather stuff by there is still one or two things lingering like a pair of shoes and those kenya type running kicks. I haven't ditched them yet..

Wet suits are pretty darn near 100% synthetic. I can't think of anything not vegan in one unless you were to get a really really old one with leather...yes they were made of leather but one of those would do nothing for you now. Do you want one for open water swimming or what??? If you do I suggest an Orca wetsuit.

Wet suits are pretty darn near 100% synthetic. I can't think of anything not vegan in one unless you were to get a really really old one with leather...yes they were made of leather but one of those would do nothing for you now. Do you want one for open water swimming or what??? If you do I suggest an Orca wetsuit.

I was thinking of getting one for regular indoor lap swimming, to protect my skin from chlorine.

i dont think a wet suit would do that. they just help you stay warmer. if anything you'll have the chlorine on your skin longer due to having to take the wet suit off then washing your skin instead of going straight to the shower.

I always thought wetsuits keep your skin pretty dry.

I thought they were all neoprene. Not sure if neoprene is 101% vegan though. (Perhaps it has some crap in it similar to car tires?) Good enough for me.

Yeah I think you would be right here.

The black neoprene is most likely coloured using a carbon black - which for industrial purposes can come from lots of different sources including non vegan ones like the burning of animal bones (Bone Black)..

To Answer Daves question, Wetsuits work by keeping a layer of water trapped next to your skin and allowing it to warm up, thus keeping you warmer for longer.

To keep water totally away from your skin, you would need a dry suit, and there is no way you could do laps of a pool in one of those.

Is there anything I can do to keep out the Chlorine?

Probably not. Why are you worried?

I've just heard how its not the greatest of things for your skin. As someone who, like most of you here, prefers to eat as "pure" and "healthy" as possible, I also prefer that my body absorbs the most natural of elements. Maybe I'm a bit paranoid, but I really cant stand how dry my skin and hair get after swimming. Its not a big deal, but if there was something I could do to avoid it, i'd sleep better at night.

The only thing thats gonna keep you dry is a dry suit...but that'll be so cumbersome you won't be able to swim well in it. Divers use those for extremely cold diving conditions. I suggest doing open water swimming if you feel you really need to swim but want to avoid chlorine.

As for the function of wet suits...triathletes do use them for cooler/cold water but really they use it to cheat...it makes you float and saved you a lot of energy.

The only thing thats gonna keep you dry is a dry suit...but that'll be so cumbersome you won't be able to swim well in it. Divers use those for extremely cold diving conditions. I suggest doing open water swimming if you feel you really need to swim but want to avoid chlorine.

As for the function of wet suits...triathletes do use them for cooler/cold water but really they use it to cheat...it makes you float and saved you a lot of energy.

Well if it helps that much, I guess its not very good for training.

for the wetsuit question, some are vegan, but the neoprene is terrible for the environment, and chlorine causes the wetsuit to stretch out fairly quickly. as for protecting your skin, their is not much you can do about absorption, but if you put on lotion, ideally one with jojoba in it, about a half an hour before you swim, you will notice a big difference in how dried out it gets. keep in mind, most pool managements do not want people in the water with lotion on, but if you apply it early enough, it should not matter. for the hair, make 50/50 mix of vegan conditioner and water, work it into your hair, then put on a swim cap.

for the wetsuit question, some are vegan, but the neoprene is terrible for the environment, and chlorine causes the wetsuit to stretch out fairly quickly. as for protecting your skin, their is not much you can do about absorption, but if you put on lotion, ideally one with jojoba in it, about a half an hour before you swim, you will notice a big difference in how dried out it gets. keep in mind, most pool managements do not want people in the water with lotion on, but if you apply it early enough, it should not matter. for the hair, make 50/50 mix of vegan conditioner and water, work it into your hair, then put on a swim cap.

thanks!

Its good for training if your going for time rather than laps...after all 1 hour of swimming at a giving heart rate is 1 hour of swimming at a given heart rate regardless of distance. Also most people that aren't swimmers aren't good enough at swimming to swim so far without a little aid.

There are shampoo's, conditioners and body cream specifically made for swimming in pools. Make sure you swim with a swim cap to protect your hair also make sure you shower right away. You don't see people swim in wet suits in the pool. If the choline irritates you. I would try swimming open water with a wet suit.

I didnt realize how much stuff I needed to start swimming, safely and comfortably. I was so naive I thought I could just jump right in and go.

So far I bought 2 pairs of swimming shorts ($80), goggles ($25), swimming cap ($10), ear plugs ($15), sandals(to walk around in locker room - $25) and now I need to get special lotions. I've easily dropped $150 already so I can so swim laps for 2 hrs a week.