The foods of our past

Dr. Pink

This is a topic dedicated to the foods we used to eat. Prior to our current ways of living. And perhaps share those meals that you miss.

Before I became Vegetarian I loved Tuna Sandwhiches. And later on in life I'd add some cheese to that and make a Tuna Melt. I also liked Crab a lot then. Of course like most young kids I hate fast food regularly.

When I became Vegetarian my favorite meals to make were Pasta with lots and lots of cheese, Vegetarian Burritos and stuff like that. I loved Taco Bells Burritos( In fact everything from Taco Bell )

A few restaurants I used to love to go to included Chevy's, Taco Bell...ect.

I slowly changed over the years and now I can't even stand restaurants. I have to make my own food.

I mostly miss Burritos and Pizza. I find these to be quite hard to substitute since I don't always have money for good ingridients and the entire house is ravaged by meat eaters.

I also kind of miss sea food. Mostly shrimp and crab. But even though I miss the taste I'd never eat it XD.

As for Hamburgers I don't miss them in the slightest.

I miss California Burritos from my favorite place for california burritos down in San Diego. Other than that the only thing I really crave every now and then is mandarin chicken. No idea why, as I never ate it that often when I did eat meat.

The only thing I even remotely miss is a Jim Dandy from Friendly's...for the most part it can be made vegan but vegan pistachio ice cream doesn't have all the yummy food coloring.

I don't miss anything and never think about eating something non vegan.

The only thing animal products do for me is dis-gust me. They smell horrible and look quite bad mostly.

Specially milk eggs and cheese make me

Pizza is so much better without cheese, etc. etc.

I don't miss anything and never think about eating something non vegan.

The only thing animal products do for me is dis-gust me. They smell horrible and look quite bad mostly.

Specially milk eggs and cheese make me

Pizza is so much better without cheese, etc. etc.

Pizza is better without cheese, but it sucks when you're allergic to wheat. I need to find a shop that makes a wheat free vegan dough.

• 2 weeks later...

I miss salmon sushi. I hated beef, I hated pork, and I couldn't have dairy products cuz I'm lactose intolerant. Chicken was alright I guess.. but not a big fan of that either. I just liked seafood as an omni I think lol. That's why becoming vegan was so easy for me. I still feel like I haven't changed my diet much.

Some of my pre-vegan and pre-vegetarian and pre-health-conscious-days favorites:

Homemade stringy oven-baked cheddar mac & cheese (my friend James makes an awesome vegan alternative so I don't miss the original if I can talk him into making me a batch)

McD Filet-o-fish (Vita-cafe here in Portland makes a great vegan one, although I no longer care for fried foods much)

Milk chocolate (I came to love dairy-free dark chocolate, in fact the darker the better, and there is a really good vegan rice-milk chocolate that I like too)

Germanchökolätekäke ice cream from Coldstone (but with vegan Purely Decadent Peanut-butter Zig-Zag who can miss real ice cream?)

Mostly now I don't even eat the vegan alternatives to my old favorites, I've found a whole new batch of favorite foods that are quite a bit healthier ... although I've always loved creamy caesar salads and I still do eat a version very often with a vegan dressing made primarily from flax oil, mustard and soy sauce.. mmmm

The only thing I even remotely miss is a Jim Dandy from Friendly's...for the most part it can be made vegan but vegan pistachio ice cream doesn't have all the yummy food coloring.

I don't know what a Jim Dandy is but have you tried the Coconut Bliss Pistachio 'ice cream'? It's goooooood

Pizza is better without cheese, but it sucks when you're allergic to wheat. I need to find a shop that makes a wheat free vegan dough.

There is a pizza place up in Seattle that makes a wheat-free vegan pizza Last year just after VeganVacation we had a small group go up to Seattle for a couple days to visit and we ate there, maybe we should do that again!

I don't miss any animal foods, but I'm a sucker for nice shoes. I don't want to wear leather anymore, but the idea of not buying a new pair of Fluevogs from time to time is painful. Fluevog makes a few vegan styles, but they don't compare--not yet, anyway--to the leather ones.

This is honestly my biggest problem as a vegan.

Edited by Spine

I became vegetarian when I was about 5 or something, so I hadn't really had much meat, although I used to like chicken, ham and bacon I kind of remember. As a vegetarian, I ate a lot of cheese and milk, cheese on toast, pizza, cheese on pasta, cheese and pickle sandwiches, nachos with cheese, grated cheese on top of other stuff etc and I had a lot of ice cream, angel delight, and cream cakes and cream on top of other stuff... not good. It seems like an entirely different person, my head was in a completely different place at the time

I don't miss any animal foods, but I'm a sucker for nice shoes. I don't want to wear leather anymore, but the idea of not buying a new pair of Fluevogs from time to time is painful. Fluevog makes a few vegan styles, but they don't compare--not yet, anyway--to the leather ones.

This is honestly my biggest problem as a vegan.

Yeah, those shoes are gorgeous. I saw a hemp pair of Fluevogs at the Vancouver location. I could never afford a pair of those shoes. I usually get my shoes from Payless or a thrift store.. Lol

Yeah, those shoes are gorgeous. I saw a hemp pair of Fluevogs at the Vancouver location. I could never afford a pair of those shoes. I usually get my shoes from Payless or a thrift store.. Lol

Actually, the Fluevog hemp shoes are on sale right now and dirt cheap! But the online store has only a few sizes left.

I'll be happy when Fluevog makes a vegan version of these. And these.