I am SO glad I'm vegan

Marcina

I was reading the news on Google just now and reading the Health topics and the latest things are:

- Warnings against eating Easter eggs or any raw eggs

- A pork recall for Salmonella that nearly killed a boy in Calgary

- Another pork recall for antibiotic-resistent staphylococcus bacteria

- And of course, several articles about the Avian flu

When will people get the hint that meat is killing them? I'm just glad I'm a vegan and not consuming any of this stuff.. However, the boy in Calgary got salmonella from feeding his dog a pork treat.. I think people were never meant to eat meat and this is God's way of telling us to stop ya know?

Luckily I wash my hands after feeding my cats their treats. I never feed them pork anyways.. Lots of pets have trouble digesting pork and beef.

One more: the prices of meat & dairy products are going sky high and the trend isn't going to change in the near future.

The prices of soy/lentils/beans/ect. are still low and it's going to be more and more affordable to be a vegan compared to an omnivore in the future.

I love the fact that I'm making similar gains (or even better) as people who are spending huge amounts of money in meat & dairy products with a fraction of price while still buying sustainably produced food!

At Professor Regan's conference in North Carolina last October Dr. Greger from the HSUS made an interesting case for how many diseases you would have never thought about actually got their start when people started animal husbandry.

I know what you mean about people needing to get a clue. I know people who look at these things all of the time yet to them going without eat is not even in their universe. Either "meat is food" to them or they just smirk like someone is making a ridiculous suggestion.

As sad as it sounds, I fear most people never got around to question why they are eating meat. Every time an "emergency" like this comes on, they just search types of meat that are claimed to be "sure" and "healthy" at the time.

Its culture, and its power on people is always more impressive for me. BTW, do any of the more economically informed people on this forum see the growth of prices as a beginning of a crisis in the sector? I was speaking about it with a friend lately, and it got me curious.

More than anything I'm happy I'm not not vegan. It sounds odd but I could imagine life as not being vegan but I couldn't imagine life as an omnivore. Being vegan is OK...not being vegan is terrible.

However, the boy in Calgary got salmonella from feeding his dog a pork treat..

(...)

Luckily I wash my hands after feeding my cats their treats. I never feed them pork anyways.. Lots of pets have trouble digesting pork and beef.

Of course, what kind of cat would be able to kill a beef in nature ! Better feed them with what they would eat normally, birds, mice, fish...

But you enlightened me on something, I must really be more prudent when I feed my cat too. Most dangerous and killer bacteria found in meat aren't in muscles but in parts like brains and guts which are mostly in meat by-products such as in pet food, gelatin, pills and surgery stuff.

I didn't know the prices for meat and dairy products are going up, but I think it's good !

What I don't like is that prices for all cereals (especially corn, but also all the others) are going up and it's just the beginning. Because of the stupid ethanol thing. Did you know gas is now made of at least 6% ethanol, always. That means they don't make corn to eat but to propulse cars. In Mexico, the native country for corn, where corn is their main food, with tortillas everyday, they can't even produce corn for themselves anymore, they have to import from USA, and prices went 16% up.

I didn't know the prices for meat and dairy products are going up, but I think it's good !

What I don't like is that prices for all cereals (especially corn, but also all the others) are going up and it's just the beginning. Because of the stupid ethanol thing. Did you know gas is now made of at least 6% ethanol, always. That means they don't make corn to eat but to propulse cars. In Mexico, the native country for corn, where corn is their main food, with tortillas everyday, they can't even produce corn for themselves anymore, they have to import from USA, and prices went 16% up.

Corn going up is a good thing...thats why meat prices are going up. In most of the corn used for ethanol is "feed quality" for livestock and not corn we'd eat anyway but its still making "human" corn go up. Corn is crap...I like how it tastes but that doesn't mean I should be eating it. When it comes to Mexico not having enough corn thats largely due to drought and much higher demand for corn in the diet. We make tons of "human" quality corn. Most of it goes overseas to feed poor people around the world and we're pretty much donating it...hell farmers here all lose money growing it. If people stop buying cheap food with corn by products we can get the govt. to stop funding corn farmers like this...this will make them stop subsidizing so much and meat prices will increase way faster than they are now.

Something else that is related and quite possibly a good sign.

The government is revising their WIC program to include more fruits and vegetables instead of meat (due in part to the rising cost, and the scientific evidence that a more plant based diet is beneficial for health.)

WASHINGTON — Let them eat tofu, the government says.

That's one of the new food products being offered under a major overhaul of the Women, Infants and Children program. But primarily, the Agriculture Department wants more fruits, vegetables and whole grains on the plates of poor women and children and less milk, cheese, eggs and juice......

for the complete story see here:

full story

The government is revising their WIC program to include more fruits and vegetables instead of meat (due in part to the rising cost, and the scientific evidence that a more plant based diet is beneficial for health.)

Cool.

Awesome...my sister and brother in law were under the WIC program in Hawaii...its easy to get for anyone thats a teacher with children. The choices sucked though...twowo gallons of free milk...two loaves of Wonderbread...two jars of Peter Pan PB...and a few other crappy things. Nice to know things are changing.

That's not food! I hate Wonderbread. They put lactylate in it, and it's so .. mangia cake.. Like not real bread ya know? I dunno what Peter Pan Peanut Butter is like.. But I bet it's full of hydrogenated junk right? Geez.. And milk.. I don't get why people are so bent on milk when most of the population can't even digest it.