Greetings from Germany

slavetothegrind

hey there fellow planteaters!

my name is thorben, I'm 29 and live in munich, germany. i have been vegan for more than 2 years now and went poison free a little over a year past.

i turned vegan for health reasons while having thought about its ethical aspects sporadically at times before due to the fact that my best friend has been vegan for over 10 years. i guess when i became sick it was clear that i was leading a somewhat destructive lifesstyle. not in the dramatic sense that one might think (drugs etc) but rather in the more socially acceptable way. i totally wore my body down with work and social stress and using smoking, drinking and bad nutrition to run away from it all.

when my body told me to stop or we would part ways, it was more than a wake up call for me. my doctor put me on a two week diet in which i was only allowed to consume veggie broth, tea, water and at the most a bit of crispbread as a highlight. in those two weeks i lost about 22 lbs. afterwards i started my vegan diet and began exercising every day.

i started out doing push-ups and a few dumbell curls. that was basically it at first. but i got hooked. i never paid this much attention to my body at all. i loved that fact that i was putting this machine to use. and not only that, i truly had and have to this day the wonderful feeling of running on the right fuel.

it was also a totally new experience to actually handle and cook and approve the food that i am eating. it did a lot for my mental balance to take the time out and prepare my food.

now, i do a combination of cardio exercise and weights. and i love the fact of having achieved somewhat of an athletic physique and proving people wrong about some of their prejudices towards veganism.

i have come across this website frequently over the last year and it's great to find so many like-minded people here with tips and motivation to spare. so i decided to finally join up.

well, that's it for now.

see you guys in the threads.

cheers,

thorben

Welcome!

That was a great introduction, I really like you already! Your goals are similar to mine and your mind seems to be very well balanced with your body.

Great to have more people from Europe! I really like Germany and I try to make a trip to Germany every year at least once (partly business trips).

BTW, you look very fit!

The mighty Thorben. That's a great name and a great story. If I met someone with that name on the street and they told me to turn around and walk the other way, I think i'd do just that!

Anyways, its wonderful that you had your friend to influence you like that and that the wakeup call you had sunk it and facilitated change. Far too many get wakeup calls early in life as well and do nothing about except pump themselves up with pharmaceuticals and continue down a beaten path until it takes the over entirely. This was not the case for you.

See you on the threads!

Welcome Thorben! Herzlich wilkommen!

The german VBB-szene is growing!

We have members in many parts. Daywalker, roid_rage and me are in NRW (Kleve, Dortmund and Muenster). Others are in Frankfurt, Nürnberg, Hannover, Berlin. Konstanz, Bremen etc. Some are not very activ on the board

I will be in Munich on April 26 for a nice little raw vegan lunch at Zerwirk. I would be happy if you were able to join me!

All the best for your goals and maybe we will meet soon!

Thanks, David!

I need to raincheck on lunch at the (most excellent) Zerwirk. I am undergoing wisdomtooth-surgery the day prior to that. :/ It's the first time I'm that so I may be a little incapacitated. Of course I am also not too thrilled about my training schedule being messed up. I hope the healing process will move along smoothly.