Acerola

Has anyone ever tried these cherries? I was amazed at the anti-inflammatory rating nutritiondata.com (Acerola Cherry) gave this fruit, however I could never find a whole food source until now. Sambazon, the same company that makes the açaí pulp I buy also makes Acerola Cherry Pulp. 100 gram package contains 1400% of your daily vitamin C... Whole Foods can count me in for a case.

Not sure because I've never seen in next to the açaí... they usually have the pure açaí pulp and original açaí pulp, I've never seen the acerola product. I hit up WF usually every two weeks and engage in some fun convos with the employees, which are usually uber friendly? Is that prereq for working there? Anyways, they've always told me that if I see a something that I want ordered special, just let them know, they will order it minimum orders are 1 case (12 packages). I usually buy a case of the pure açaí at $5.99 a package x 12 - 5% discount = $68.29. A package consists of 4, 100 grams packets. 1 packet is a serving. I would assume the acerola would sell for the same price, but I'll check and report back tomorrow.

I don't mean to discourage anyone from spending their money as they see fit, but I feel the need to comment here.

There are many "super" foods being advertised out there and I consider this to be one of them. Do you need THIS much vitamin C? How about eating foods rich in vitamin C that are indigenous to your country? It is not sustainable, ecological or convenient to eat foods that travel hundreds to thousands of miles to your home.

I don't mean to bash anyone here. However, I think we should be looking at local foods before trying to find answers from other countries. I bet someone is selling "U.S. dried wild blueberries" somewhere in the world as a super food.

Don't believe commercial claims. Ask yourself, "is someone going to make money by convincing me to buy this product" before you consider claims from that entity.

Do you need THIS much vitamin C?

Absolutely not

How about eating foods rich in vitamin C that are indigenous to your country? It is not sustainable, ecological or convenient to eat foods that travel hundreds to thousands of miles to your home.

Great points

I don't mean to bash anyone here. However, I think we should be looking at local foods before trying to find answers from other countries.

I don't feel like you are bashing, I think you raise some good points which I agree with. But, I feel that in today's world we have a rare opportunity to experience and enjoy different nutritious foods from around the world. I think adding some of these foods to the diet can add a little non-local variety and keep the diet lively.

Don't believe commercial claims. Ask yourself, "is someone going to make money by convincing me to buy this product" before you consider claims from that entity.

I don't even read what companies right about the product, most of the time its a joke. It seems everything reduces your chance of cancer or heart disease these days. I look at the nutritional facts on the label and do a little bit of digging to see what some non-biased sources have to say. If the facts seem worthy of a try I will go for it. I don't expect a difference from eating a so called "super food", I feel I that I might be getting additional phytonutrients from a food that I otherwise would not have been exposed to.

Heck, maybe I won't even like the taste.

I couldn't agree with DV's points about "super foods" more.

I've been reading pop nutrition lit for at least two decades as a hobbyist. New "super foods" come and go. They are always expensive and in time they are always revealed to be just nutritious not "super". They tend not to have anything you can't get from common foods or combinations of common foods.

Lemons are one of the most concentrated sources of antioxidants. If you slice an apple in 15 min you have a brown, oxidized apple. If you slice a lemon and come back a week later you still have a yellow, unoxidized lemon. I have a bottle of lemon juice in my refrigerator that still hasn't spoiled after a year. I read about an experiment where people fed 1 teaspoon of lemon zest per day reduced their risk of skin cancer by 20 something percent.

Lemons have been a bit more expensive for a year or so due to poor harvests, but they are a bargain compared to most "super foods".

I'm amazed at all of the anti-cancer, anti-disease, super nutrition, yada yada news I read about broccoli all of the time. Broccoli crowns go for about $1.79 a pound in the supermarkets in my metropolitan area.

Don't even get me started about other wonder foods that happen to be cheap & common, like oats, ginger, flax, cinnamon, berries etc

I don't mean to discourage anyone from spending their money as they see fit, but I feel the need to comment here.

There are many "super" foods being advertised out there and I consider this to be one of them. Do you need THIS much vitamin C? How about eating foods rich in vitamin C that are indigenous to your country? It is not sustainable, ecological or convenient to eat foods that travel hundreds to thousands of miles to your home.

I don't mean to bash anyone here. However, I think we should be looking at local foods before trying to find answers from other countries. I bet someone is selling "U.S. dried wild blueberries" somewhere in the world as a super food.

I'm totally poor so I for one, will aim for them blueberries.. Lol

It's always fun to try out exotic foods though, as a treat

I agree we don't need that much Vitamin C (especially that it's more than what Troy mentionned, it's not only 1400% but 2700% Vitamin C of DV per 100 grams!), of course it's too much, since our body don't make storage of Vitamin C, the excedent will go out of the system at the end of that day.

But it seems we're attracted to try those powerfoods, it's our drugs. Better try this rather than cocaïne and other stuff, right?

I can see the point of getting phytonutrients from a food you are not usually exposed to but I wonder how much is lost when that food has been stored for weeks or months, shipped under unknown conditions, dried and/or pasteurized (such as the wonder juices out there).

If you really want to try something exotic and full of phytonutrients then eat wild foods from your area. Wood sorrel grows like a weed in many back yards and fields - it tastes lemony and makes a wonderful salad addition. Stinging nettles have a tremendous nutritional profile. Here is a link that covers some information about harvesting wild foods. The best part is that they are free if you do it yourself.

• 2 weeks later...
it's not only 1400% but 2700% Vitamin C of DV per 100 grams!)

100 grams of Sambazon Amazon Cherry (flash pasteurized Acerola fruit pulp) = 850mg Vitamin C or 1400%

100 grams of Acerola, raw = 1677 mg or 2796%

There is always choosing to be smart and devoting your resources to something gives you a kickass return on your investments instead.

Examples?

If you really want to try something exotic and full of phytonutrients then eat wild foods from your area. Wood sorrel grows like a weed in many back yards and fields - it tastes lemony and makes a wonderful salad addition. Stinging nettles have a tremendous nutritional profile. Here is a link that covers some information about harvesting wild foods. The best part is that they are free if you do it yourself.

When it comes to forging, I haven't got a clue. My backyard is an interstate and my front yard is sprayed with chemicals from my landlord with signs telling kids to stay off the grass. My mother has a "back 40" that I could forge on but right now fitting in time to learn to forge and then to actually go out and do the task seems impossible. Sooner or later I will learn how, and then maybe have a house with a giant garden or a yard full of dandelion greens so I can make smoothies purely out of those, but for now, store bought food is where I'm at.

Good find! How much are they running at WF?

Just ordered 2 cases at $76.81 a case. A case is 15, 4 pack packages. I'm thinking I'll probably only use 1/3 to 1/4 of a pack with each smoothie I make due to the high C count. So the 2 cases should last about a year!

• 1 month later...

Great points DV. However, Sambazon is a great, responsible company with a fantastic line of high quality products....I cannot help but support them and indulge in their delicious treats from the magical jungle in a far-away land.

Anyone not familiar with Sambazon and all that they do for sustainability and the land in Brazil, def give their website a look-see.