What type of job do you have?

Fallen_Horse

What type of job do you have?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi everyone! I am just wondering what kinds of jobs we tend to have here at VBB. I am currently unemployed ( ) and am looking for a job, but honestly I just don't know what I 'want to be when I grow up.' I just finished my B.S. in engineering physics, but I just don't know if I'm the kind of person that wants to go work in a traditional corporate environment. I also don't know if I have much of a choice, with this economy and with my $30K in loan debt!

So, if possible, I would like to hear from some of you guys. What are your thoughts on 'finding a calling in life?' Any tips for how to find a job that fits your personality?

Cheers/namaste!

I voted non-career. I work in a business casual environment, 40 hours a week, carpool to work, hourly wage, but I get health insurance. I spend the vast majority of my time at work browsing the internet.... Someday when I finish my degree I'll move on to something I actually care about, though.

I'm a freelance cgi animator (working on the new twilight movie these days). I had like 70k of debt when I got out of art school with a BFA and didn't even know how to animate well (and the 2002 job market was awful) so I feel like you don't have that much of a handicap in the long run. My hours are pretty bad though- 45-55 hours a week not counting lunch is about average plus Saturdays during crunch times. But I do love what I do and the environment I'm in right now is pretty far from corporate.

I chose a non career job because i work about 30-35 a week and its just work at liquor store which i dont plan on doing anymore than a couple more months at the most.

Sucks the life out of me being in a job with such low people all the time.Interesting to see what happens to people that drink and smoke long term.They rot.Some customers come in 3-4 times a day and some buy 6 bottles of wine every night.95% of the customers buy the cheapest range of products we have.Lucky to get 1 person a day actually buy a bottle of wine for over $20.

I would not have anything against alcohol if people actually used it like civilized people should.But its not like that.

How can we save them if they wont even save themselves?They dont care about their own lives at all it seems so how could they care about animals lives?Governments need to set better examples and make better laws to keep people liek this from existing.I think there should be special squads of agents to kidnap worthless people like alcoholics and take them to laboratories to be tested on for scientific purposes.They did it to themselves so they cant complain.Humans are over populated.It all makes perfect sense but people will complain because they lack logic and would rather animals suffer for nothing than worthless scum that rot themselves to death be used instead.

I want to make this future reality.If people want to be bottom crawlers then they are put to use instead of leeching for their entire lives.

• 2 weeks later...

Software engineer. I sit at a computer all day. I try to compensate by being as physically active as possible outside the job and my commute to and from work involves an awful lot of walking and running up and down stairs.

But admittedly if I had my way I'd be a full time fitness trainer and writer for a living. Then I could set my own hours, be less sedentary and undoubtedly much healthier.

I work for a Linux software company and provide technical support for (primarily) financial services customers.

I chose "A traditional career (40hrs/wk, corporate, salary, drive to work)" even though I work from home. It was the most applicable, still 40hrs/week, corporate, and salaried.

I work for a Linux software company and provide technical support for (primarily) financial services customers.

I chose "A traditional career (40hrs/wk, corporate, salary, drive to work)" even though I work from home. It was the most applicable, still 40hrs/week, corporate, and salaried.

I chose that answer too even though I don't consider what I do "working for corporate". I don't dress business casual; I work for a dot-com. Right now I'm in jeans, a t-shirt, and sandals.

I work in IT, as a Unix/J2EE System Engineer, so I chose "A traditional career" so on..

I kind of just fell into this type of work.

Throughout my 20's I was a professional musician, I love it but got really tired of truly being a starving musician.

I would think a degree in Engineering Physics (I'm guessing that's Mechanical Engineering) would do well in Denver, if not look around Orange County, CA, there are all kinds of tech firms around here.

Kenny

I work in IT, as a Unix/J2EE System Engineer, so I chose "A traditional career" so on..

I kind of just fell into this type of work.

Throughout my 20's I was a professional musician, I love it but got really tired of truly being a starving musician.

I would think a degree in Engineering Physics (I'm guessing that's Mechanical Engineering) would do well in Denver, if not look around Orange County, CA, there are all kinds of tech firms around here.

Kenny

Oh good, I'm not alone! I'm a software engineer myself, but I do .NET programming.

Self-employed, of course, but what a freakin' scary time it is to be in business for yourself these days...

Yeah I can only imagine....

Between the usual "summer slump" from mid-May through September and the fact that everyone seems to be worried about their financial future, let's just say that this is not the time anyone wants to consider opening a retail outlet. At least, not if they don't want to be stressed constantly and pulling their hair out by the roots!

Between the usual "summer slump" from mid-May through September and the fact that everyone seems to be worried about their financial future, let's just say that this is not the time anyone wants to consider opening a retail outlet. At least, not if they don't want to be stressed constantly and pulling their hair out by the roots!

So true!

I'm a Realtor and love my job

So true!

I'm a Realtor and love my job

Glad to hear it, Seasiren! As much as I'd thought that most Realtors would be in more of a bind these days, those I've come in contact with recently have been saying that they're still faring well despite the goofy home market situation.