New - Trying to figure out a diet

snakeoids

Greetings,

I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

I'm not at all familiar with being a vegetarian/vegan, but I figure that it's healthy and I don't like the cruelty to animals at the meat factories.

I'd really like to figure out how to be a successful vegetarian / vegan. By successful, I mean that I can meet the following ideas:

-Good cookbook(s) to make quick, nutritious, and enjoyable recipes

-Ideal diet for body building

Also I'm wondering how you get enough energy with eating just vegetables. I'm used to counting calories and veggies have low to none on that count.

If anyone can point me in good directions for my goals above I would sure appreciate it. Thank you.

Welcome to the forums! There's lots of great advice on here to answer both of your questions. For cookbooks, my personal favourites are the three books by Sarah Kramer and Tanya Barnard "How it all Vegan", "In the Garden of Vegan", and "La Dolce Vegan". If you're new to veganism, you'll also definately want to check out "Becoming Vegan", which is a great how-to guide for eat an awesome vegan diet. It includes a section on vegan athletes. I'm not too sure about the counting calories thing, since Ive never done so myself.

Good luck and see you around the forums!

Its very easy to go the same route as the normal food guide pyramid. Its not the optimal diet but it won't kill you either if you just replace meat with beans(bean products like tofu/tempeh) and nuts...and just pretend that dairy isn't even on there or replace that with soymilk and things. Also pretend the sweets aren't on there either.

Optimally I'd say cut the grains portion in half or even more than that...then increase the veggie/fruit intake 50% or more. Also you don't need all that protein from the meat/bean category either...you'll live just fine on 25g of protein or even less unless your trying to get very big

Welcome to the group! You'll find all kinds of information here and meet some cool new friends. I believe we have other members in your city too.

Thanks for finding us and I hope to hear more from you soon.

All the best and welcome aboard!

Hi and welcome! I am always excited when someone decides to become vegan! Looks like there is lots of good advice from the folks that have already posted. When I first changed my diet I found it very helpful to be around other vegans who would show me how to cook or introduce me to new foods I did not know about.

I usually look at vegan cookbooks at the library and go for the ones that are not too complex and have "everyday" ingredients.

There are also some great online recipe resources, just google "vegan recipes" and the first few that pop up are pretty good!

There are also some recipes here on the forum!

Welcome aboard!

*Fixed by Loveliberate*

Hello and welcome

You should check out Eat to live, it's a diet book but it explains how to eat a nutritious diet for athletes too.

I second the "Eat To Live" book. It is a nutrition book disguised as a weight loss book! Backed up by over 500 scientific references as well!! It is a must read for every Vegan!!

http://books.google.com/books?vid=ISBN0316735507&id=CX8huSU0n8AC&pg=PP1&lpg=PP1&ots=ub27jYK90X&dq=eat+to+live&sig=CXQzwADjHoobFM8emcIBw4u-UjI

Welcome, snakeoids! Why not graboids?

Another book I'd recommend is Vegan Planet for "down to earth" recipes and the Mediterranean Vegan cookbook. Those have made everything great and transition easier for me, and should help you especially if you like to cook.

Good luck!

Welcome, snakeoids, it is easy to meet your goals on a vegan diet! As for calories, just eat lots and lots of fresh fruit and veggies - I mean a lot! You can mix in legumes like chick peas for something a little bulkier feeling. Maybe also check out Brendan Brazier's new book "The Thrive Diet".

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...