Falling off the Raw wagon!!

Also, they make spinach pasta!!

I use to have it with my homemade spagetti sauce when I was

"transitioning", and doing all gluten-free foods.

What kind of spinach pasta are you using? Typically spinach pasta is just regular white pasta with spinach powder added for coloring and a slight flavor change and no lack of gluten. Such as this pasta http://www.buythecase.net/product/8961/ronzoni_spinach_fettuccini_pasta/?engine=googlebase

I have no idea of the brand.. it is organic, it was genuine spinach and spelt

I believe? It contained no gluten, and it was not corporately owned

(which is when you encounter artificial coloring issues, etc..)

This was over 5 years ago, when I ate cooked foods...

Also, Marcina..

You can always just purchase a mandoline(they are $10), and make

your own pasta out of squash and zuccini... make the

sauce how you normally would or make it "as raw as possible"..

it's VERY satisfying.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, spaghetti made of squash is amazing, or some zuchini "pasta" with avocado sauce.

Thanks for the info about the soy! I never heard it could cause mucus production before and I've heard it was alkaline, not acidic. I don't eat any wheat products at all since many weeks but still my nose keep dripping (but less than with wheat, and lot less than with wheat and dairies before that)... so I'm gonna try eating less soy, or at least avoid it for evenings. thanks.

White pasta is also pretty crappy for you because it spikes the crap out of your blood sugar. I know I always feel like shit after eating white pasta. I stick to the whole wheat stuff.

When I get my own place I'll eat raw. I just don't/can't make dietary decisions for my whole family. Although my brother doesn't eat dairy anymore, so I guess that's a slight win.

yeah, spaghetti made of squash is amazing, or some zuchini "pasta" with avocado sauce.

Thanks for the info about the soy! I never heard it could cause mucus production before and I've heard it was alkaline, not acidic. I don't eat any wheat products at all since many weeks but still my nose keep dripping (but less than with wheat, and lot less than with wheat and dairies before that)... so I'm gonna try eating less soy, or at least avoid it for evenings. thanks.

Also, experiment with tempeh.. it is delicious! less processed, and

fermented.. so it is easier on your system.

I use to LOVE marinating tempeh in tamari sauce and sauteeing it

and putting it on my salads and such... it's really fabulous.

And SO underrated.

Also.... avocado sauce! OMG!!

That is the most amazing idea I've ever heard of! I am going to

experiment with this one...

Thank you!

~~~

And Zack, as far as soy being acidic. SOY isn't acidic.. it's processed

soy that is acidic.

Tofu is a completely different world than edamame.

Anything processed or dare I say.. heavily processed,

is acidic to the human body.

A good read is "Alkalize or Die" by Dr.Theodore A. Baroody

It breaks down everything that is acidic and alkaline to the body.

And also, my version of "acidic".. is not that of the general populus...

I'm much more strict/picky, but again, it's just what I have learned,

both intellectually and through personal experimentation.

I never knew I had such dramatic, awful, reactions to soy and wheat..

until I took it out of my diet.

How is tofu acidic?

It is processed, denatured, UNnatural.

>>>

How is tofu acidic?

>>>

How does that make it acidic?

You know what I don't understand?

I have a ton of food in my fridge right now and I try looking up recipes and guess what? I don't have half the stuff the recipes call for.

I hate that.

But you just said you wanted creativity!!

Here's your chance.

Be creative.

I LOVE when that happens (at least once/twice per week)

& I have to come up with a meal out of it..

Edited by andesuma

How is tofu acidic?

>>>

How does that make it acidic?

The same way breathing polluted air, causes acidity.

The same way stress causes acidity.

Anger and negative emotions, cause acidity.(http://www.naturalnews.com/023304.html)

I don't have the "scientific" calculations or methods memorized..

and you know that

So I would recommend reading that book as well as the bibliography.

I'm also not saying acidity is BAD per say... you know about 80/20.

You know what you need to do to heal... you're doing it.

• 1 month later...
You know what I don't understand?

I have a ton of food in my fridge right now and I try looking up recipes and guess what? I don't have half the stuff the recipes call for.

I hate that.

But you just said you wanted creativity!!

Here's your chance.

Be creative.

I LOVE when that happens (at least once/twice per week)

& I have to come up with a meal out of it..

Be creative.. I'm not very creative in the kitchen. I mean, I've never lived a lifestyle like this before. I don't know anyone to swap recipes with.. It's pretty difficult.

I'm gonna take a look at that book and link. But do you remember what the author was saying about fruits. Are they acidic, alkaline, just slightly acidic ? I've read only a few fruits are acidic, like apricots.

Are greens the only foods that are alkalinizing? I've read also hemp, almonds... But that peanut would be the most acidifying nut.

I'm gonna take a look at that book and link. But do you remember what the author was saying about fruits. Are they acidic, alkaline, just slightly acidic ? I've read only a few fruits are acidic, like apricots.

Are greens the only foods that are alkalinizing? I've read also hemp, almonds... But that peanut would be the most acidifying nut.

It's a fabulous book AND it's NEON PINK (which is why I bought it...

that and the title is Alkalize or Die, how could you not love that??)

As far as I remember, all fruits are alkaline to the body.. some more than others.

Greens are alkaline and neutral, when speaking in Yin/Yang terms...

Nuts are slightly-moderately acidic. And yes, peanuts were not meant for

human consumption...

give up peanuts for awhile, eat some, and it will hurt your

body just like wheat and soy.(but then again...everyone is different..)

I think the notion of acidifying/alkalinizing foods is very important.

So basically to have a good PH we need to stay away as much as possible from all processed foods and eat lots of whole fruits and greens.

To me, all those nutrition concepts are fondamental for a superior health:

-raw

-organic

-vegan

-good food combining rules

-(with those 4 elements, the PH will be necessarily right)

-and, for economy and ethics more than for health reasons, but still important nowadays: foods locally grown and fair trade.

I find the most difficult to follow (even for short terms) is the food combining rules.

For organic, we just need a bit more money but other than that it's easy.

I find raw (or about 90% raw) easy for short term but I'm not ready yet to be 100% or even 75% raw for life.

• 2 weeks later...

when i went vegan i still hanged with family that ate animals. my vegan conviction made it easy to eat what i really wanted and not cave into peer pressure.

when i committed to 100% raw vegan 10/10/2005 i found it easy to go hang with my vegan mates at the longest running vegan cafe in australia. i still hold the cafe's eating record. 5 gourmet tofu burgers in a sitting. so everytime i went there to start with, crew would ask me how many im eating today..but now they know im raw. they respect it cos i respect it. now im world durian speed eating champion in chantaburi thailand....so we bring our old habits with us to rawworld! lol!

most crew go raw and eat 70% of calories from fat. they go hard on raw choc bars, cakes, thickshakes, icecreams, crackers, pizzas, lasange, hot dogs, burgers, nachos etc. yep all 100% raw vegan but i wouldnt call them health food. a diet that high in fat aint sustainable. its TRANSITIONAL food ONLY. fruits and greens is the direction we want to head. simplicity at mealtime complimented with variety over the seasons. this ensures digestive ease which translates into nutritional sufficiency.

so crew are eating all this fat and undereating carbs. they crave carbs from pizza but want to stay raw so they whip up or buy a raw pizza. but the body didnt get the carbs it was requesting. so the person just goes eat some refined sugar like agave or honey or goes off the wagon for a cooked pizza etc. but the reason why people want pizza is for the carbs. and or the salt. so when we EAT ENOUGH CALORIES from sweet fruits and include some salt from lettuce, celery etc, we get meal time satisfaction we didnt know existed.

i used to eat a 2lb pack of rice. boil it up and chow down. but ALWAYS AFTER CRAVING SOMETHING SWEET..yet i had just ate 700g of carbs in 1 meal..and my body was still not satisfied..WHY?

cos our body ONLY runs on glucose and or fructose. complex carbs are called complex cos they are complex to digest. simple carbs in fruit satisfy. and when we EAT SUFFICIENT CALORIES FROM SWEET FRUIT, then we can sustain being a raw vegan.

people still say you cant get enough carbs..thats bull. in april this year i won my state champ xc 24solo. i ride up to 321miles solo in 1 day. ive cycled accross australia 100% raw vegan..

so yeah on a high fat gourmet raw diet as seen in hollywood, getting carbs is impossible. but eating low fat fruit bat..everyone does better.

another question to ask yourself..'in this years tour de france, what is in the drips these riders get EVERY stage finish?' is it complex carbs or simple carbs?' exactly..

I love fruit. I have no problem consuming enough fruit! Hehehe

I just eat everything whole, I'm not too fancy about it.

The other night I made some awesome salad dressing with tahini, avocado, olive oil, lemon juice, and cayenne pepper.

Mmm mmm mm.

i used to eat a 2lb pack of rice. boil it up and chow down. but ALWAYS AFTER CRAVING SOMETHING SWEET..yet i had just ate 700g of carbs in 1 meal..and my body was still not satisfied..WHY?

cos our body ONLY runs on glucose and or fructose. complex carbs are called complex cos they are complex to digest. simple carbs in fruit satisfy. and when we EAT SUFFICIENT CALORIES FROM SWEET FRUIT, then we can sustain being a raw vegan.

Maybe brown rice also lacks some essential vitamins and minerals especially after being cooked. When the bodies needs for energy and nutrients are fullfilled the craving for food stopps. That is why individuals on a SAD diet tend to overeat on foods low in nutrients.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I don't like in raw fooders, that they always say to get ORGANIC stuff, ok it would be cool to get, but how could I get organic oranges and bananas here if they don't ship it here, the only organic I can get is what is in my garden, but that's only summer, what should I do at winter? starve? I can't put so many fruits away because they rot, I can dehydrate it, but lot of raw fooders don't like fruits, sometimes I really don't know what to believe, but I would lovely see some raw fooders on the warmer climate how could they survire here at winter when it's -10C out there, and you can't get the whole world to live on a warm climate, I would really want to eat fruits all day, but I can't get everything organic, I could eat fruits all winter too but they are not organic, and as reading durianriders post I was doing somthing not right on the raw diet because I craved all the time, but I ate up a lot of fruits and greens and didn't felt satisfied