Eating Out

Emmybear

I did not see a thread for this...What is everyones favorite thing to eat when they go out....Try to make it a mainstream resteraunt chain. I want some ideas on what I can eat when I am hanging out with non-vegans.

My personal favorite Is Sweet Tomatoes /Soul plantation...

They have every salad topping you could possibly imagine including chickpeas and kidney beans for vegan protein...Plus usually fruit and one or two vegan soups...sometimes vegan pasta and sweet potatoes...I love it!!!

Please raw foodies join in too I am interested in what you eat when dining out....

It sounds boring, but Chipotle! YUM!

Sounds good...I have never eaten there...I did not know if that had vegan options...awesome

The black beans are vegan at Chipotle, the pintos have meat in them. The guacamole is vegan. At a similar chain Qdoba, the black beans, pintos and guac are all vegan.

Moe's Southwest Grill offers tofu as a protein option for their tacos, burritos etc.

Taco Bell and Subway can work when nothing else is available.

But why chain restaurants? They are the least likely for vegan meals. Check out your local Mediterranean, Chinese, Thai, Italian and Mexican restaurants. These are the places most likely to have awesome vegan eats and accomodate your omnivore friends at the same time. Happycow has a good list to get you started http://www.happycow.net/north_america/usa/florida/orlando/index.html

I've eaten at Subway for decades. Most vegans I know eat there when traveling as it's easy to find Subway shops all across the country, even at gas stations etc.

From the Subway web site http://www.subway.com/subwayroot/menunutrition/nutrition/nutritionFAQs.aspx

U.S.A. FAQs - Ingredient Questions

Do your breads contain animal products?

SUBWAY® Italian bread contains no animal-derived ingredients. The wheat bread and deli roll contain honey, which may be considered an animal-derived ingredient. The Parmesan Oregano and other cheese-topped breads do contain milk-derived ingredients.

What menu items at SUBWAY® restaurants are vegan/do not contain animal-derived ingredients?

The menu items that do not contain any animal-derived ingredients are the Veggie Delite® on Italian bread and the Veggie Delite® salad. Also these individual items also do not contain animal-derived ingredients: all vegetables, oil, vinegar, mustard, sweet onion sauce and Fruizle. The wheat bread and deli roll contain honey but no other animal-derived ingredients.

Do any of your breads contain milk/milk-derived ingredients?

Only the breads that contain a cheese topping like the Parmesan Oregano bread.

What is the origin of sodium stearoyl-2-lactylate and the mono- and diglycerides found in the bread?

These ingredients are plant-derived.

Subway has different types of Sandwhiches. Some are okay for vegans. What makes it different from typical fast food joints is that you choose exactly what goes on each sub. They start by taking out a fresh loaf of sub broad out of an oven in front of you and from there you choose everything that goes into it. They won't even put mainayse, Mustard, Salt or pepper on it without asking you or hearing you say if you want it or not. Then they wrap it up in front of you.

Some of the breads are vegan and some are not( The obvious one being non-vegan is the one with melted cheese in the bread.

For the casual vegan that doesn't mind eating in a restaurant that has vegan options but isn't a "Vegan" only joint Subway is a great place to eat. I used to eat there for the first year and a half of being Vegan( Before I developed a compulsion to only eating foods cooked and prepared by my own hands( Or it could be just because everyone around me are omnivores ). I also worked at a Subway for a whole week. I got a free 3 inch sub every day. I haven't had subway since being let go from there.

From a general/typical health to weight loss perspective Subway is ideal for those people who usually don't give a second thought on nutrition. It's certainly healthier then most of the other fast food chains out there. But it might not be ideal if your target is that of super-natural or organic environment and other things of the same nature.

The sandwhiches themselves are actually quite tasty.

My favorite( As a Vegan ) was the Spinach( In exchange for lettuce..And lots of it too ) Olives, Onions, Pickles, Tomatoes( Mostly everything but hot peppers and cucumbers ) on Whole Wheat bread, Salt and Pepper( No other condiments ) and a nice bottled water on the side and a bag of Sun Chips.

EDIT: Michael hit it right on the nose with the quote from Subways website. Back when I wasn't so obsessively anal about how my food was prepared I was absolutely addicted to Subway. Even going as far as to playing Subway games on there website and stuff like that( OCD can be really funny ) One of my dreams was to order there SUPER 12 foot long sub( They have them for special gatherings ) and attempt to consume it myself. I never got the chance with Subway. But I guarantee you when I have the means I will one day build my own Monster Sub and Murder it

And there's no milk products in the bread?

I assumed all breads have whey other sourses of dairy or honey.

Except for spouted bread.

Sounds like you've been listening to Veganpotter a bit too much. He's fully convinced that all bread has animal products in it.

Dairy is actually fairly uncommon in bread, especially good breads. You're much more likely to find honey, but usually only in whole wheat, but there are plenty without. Sour dough breads are least likely to have dairy or honey.

As for sprouted bread, Ezekiel brand does not use honey, many others do.

I know it's not exactly healthy, but it is cost efficient, two burritos for $1.98!

Mostly the sodium in these is unhealthy. The white flour burrito isn't great, but the pinto beans aren't bad at all. You can'te even get something at the supermarket for as cheap as Taco Bell, works out well for us poor folks sometimes. Fortunately, I only work part-time now, less money but I don't need to eat out every day.

When I was a kid I really liked the bean burritos at Taco Bell. They'd always manage to get a piece or two of ground beef in the pinto beans, though , so I stopped eating there.

I remember that problem back in the early 90's, especially at certain locations. I think they re-arranged the order of their ingredients in the production line, as it seems to never happen any more. I haven't found any of the ground beef bits in years, same goes for forgetting to leave off the cheese, hasn't happened in years now.