Leather

DaN

Is it ok to wear leather belts, shoes & jackets if you are a Vegan?

Before you say NO just read on..

My understanding is that leather is a by-product of the animals used for meat (I dont actually know for sure - someone does on here though right?)

On that presumption I have assumed that on the basis of the amount of meat eaten there must be ALOT of skin left over.Other than throw it away I assume that the only use for it is belts, shoes etc.I also assume that the demand for leather must be less than the demand for meat so no animals are ever killed for the leather only.

As people will continue eating so much meat I figure that all that skin should be used not just thrown away.I reference the Native American Indians at the way the 'white man' wasted so much of the animals they killed.It is my belief that the Indians tried to use as much of the animal as possible in a kind of respect for the animal (plus they really needed leathers)

I know alot of assumptions have been used here - I am asking to be educated if I am wrong! Which lets be honest is likely

Because of the above I have no problem with leather products but totally appreciate I could well be wrong.

Please bear in mind if noone ate meat (which is ultimately our dream right?) then I certainly would not think it was ok, but in the meantime is it ok?

my guess, and also this is just a guess, is that animals are prbably killed specifically for their hide. the meat and leathe rindustry probably feed off each other in some ways.

when i first went vegan, i had a few leather belts, shoes, and i didn't throw them away. because THAT would be a waste. i gave most of it away, and wore the other ones until they were no good anymore, so nothing got wasted. but now, i wouldn't every buy anything leather.

i think you're right about what native americans have said about white man wasting so much, but with the massive amounts of industrialization that have happened since that idea began, i doubt much is wasted, but that doesn't necesaarily mean that it isn't deliberately for leather that some of these animals are killed.

When you buy leather, your money goes towards funding people who kill animals. I don't really understand why it's better for somebody's skin to be worn, after being purchased, giving more money to the people who murdered the owner of the skin. I'd prefer my skin to be thrown away than someone paying my murderer for it - at least that's the way I see it. I'd rather give my money to someone who hasn't killed an animal for the product, there are alternatives to leather

Beef is a by-product of milk, for example in Finland 90 % of beef comes from milk farms. Then it's ok to eat beef.

It's just like Richard said. Those who keep animal farms do it for the money, not to produce milk or beef. If they get money from the animals they send to the slaughterhouse, then they will keep sending them (and producing more of them).

I myself have some leather stuff but only because I don't want to throw good stuff away. Also, the money is already at the hands of the murderer... and I always wear vegan shoes and I hate my old (2. hand) leather jacket. I also use a canvas belt.

Yeah I totally agree - I hadnt really thought about it like that.Not that I buy leather anyway.I wear only converse made from canvas (comfy shoes) & I only buy fake leather jacket every few years or so.Same for belts now too.

This is why I posted the thread - cheers for the feedback guys!

My gf has a purse from Australia made from kangaroo balls - is that wrong?

Only joking

I want to be a designer purse when I die.

What people have been saying is right. Purchasing leather just increases the profit margins of companies who raise and slaughter animals and increases the chance that they will continue to do so because of profitability. If you already own leather goods, I see no need to throw them away, the animal is already dead, the money is already in the hands of the killer. To throw it away and buy something new is just unnecessary waste. If you donate them and get new things, sure, that is fine.

I didnt have a problem wearing the leather goods I had when I initially went vegan, but I wont buy leather stuff and I have none to use anymore. I gave the belt and pair of shoes I had away...they were pretty worn. I wont buy leather since it does put money into the animal industry and I think it also shows your support for it in a way. It also certainly is not good to go around say "im a vegan" and wearing leather stuff, I find it confusing. Good luck.

I haven't bought new leather in going on 20 years. But I did buy thrift store leather boots and belts before I went vegan and I still own them, but seldom wear them now. I won't throw them out because that is even more disrespectful to the animal, in my opinion. I *might* wear the boots again sometime, but, sadly, I have outgrown the belt.