Hello From Hawaii

DavidBVegan

Hello everyone. I found this site while trying to reserch vegan weightlifting.

I am not a true vegan, but striving in that direction. My diet has been 95% vegan for over 18 years but I have consumed some dairy and egg in baked goods, etc. and I do try to avoid animal products but can't claim to completely follow the vegan ethic.

I am 39, in amazing shape and improving every day but finding it very, very difficult to attain adequate food and especially protein intake.

I live a very active lifestyle. I have a 6 year old Schnauzer who is my constant friend and companion and we go for daily walks to the beach, ocean kayaking on the weekends, camping, hiking.

I am so priveleged to live amongst the beauty of the island of Maui and I try to take it all in as much as I can.

I am hoping to learn from you all here and hopefully to make some friends who share similar values.

1418883045_dbsidecrp-Copy.jpg.b2904db427f9a47bf895331b4fe98a18.jpg

Welcome to the board!

You must read the book the CHINA STUDY. or listen to it on tape. It will explain that we need a hell of a lot less protein than is needed. Specially from animal sources. I went Vegan 5 months ago. I had been debating it for a while going Vegan thinking it would be too hard. All vegans have a learning curve when they start. Protein is in almost everything. The key is not the protein. It is to eat enough calories to compensate for the energy exerted. Keep a variety of whole foods in your diet. Gorillas don't check their vitamine intake or how much protein they eat. They just eat a variety of foods.

Also if it is about building muscle is lifting consistent and heavy, pushing your muscles to rep max to stimulate max growth.

Here is some samples of that evidence of protein in foods that you really did not know it had protein. Eating a variety of foods will give you enough protein. Hemp protein being a great source of additional protein.

broccoli cooke 1 cup has 6.8 grams of protein.

spinach cooked 1 cup 13 grams.

bagel 3.9 grams

1/4 cup of sunflower seeds

1 medium organge has 1 gram of protein.

so the highest tend to be seitan (a wheat gluten product), nuts, sees, and legumes

I hope you with time you will realize being Vegan is not that strange and hard to do. For me it motivates me to follow a vegan lifestyle. Plus I feel better than ever.

Welcome. You will find a ton of info on this site. If you are looking for Vegan protein supplements, I recommend Gemma pea protein isolate from trueprotein.com and/or nitrofusion from nitrofusion.com. They are both good supplements.

Some people, especially raw/ whole foodists prefer hemp protein supplements. I agree they are excellent, I just cannot stomach them myself. I do like mixing hempseeds in my oatmeal though for a little extra bit of protein and EFAs.

Another great option, or so I hear, is Vega. I honestly never tried it. Mainly because it's really expensive. I may grab a few single serving packs next time I'm in whole foods though.

Good luck with everything.