Wow 43 and healthy! Don't think so!

RAINRA

The future of all 43 year olds. blame it on the carbs....

http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/conditions/08/01/healthmag.heartattackat43/index.html

It is a medical fact that there are some people who despite doing all the lifestyle factors right will have very high cholestorol and who will get cardiovascular events as a result. I have known two such people very well. It is genetic.

It is also a medical fact that eating a lot of simple sugars will raise triglyceride levels. Even eating a lot of fruit will do that. McDougal in his "12 day plan" book illustrates this in one of the case histories of his clients.

It sounds like the poor sap in the story may have been blessed with the wrong genetics, a poor diet, and ignorant nutrition advice.

I think he is talking about moving to the country since it's not as stressful...not as a characterization of vegetarians. His problem might be genetics. My boss just had quadruple bypass surgery, he eats much less than I do as far as calories and fat and he doesn't eat much in the way of junk food. He avid golfer and is a very care free kind of guy. He's also just over 50. Not the prime candidate for a heart attack. I didn't believe it before, but from what I'm learning about him and friends in biology, genes definitely play an important roll. Veganism wouldn't hurt but its not the cure-all.

Edited by CollegeB

I think he is talking about moving to the country since it's not as stressful...not as a characterization of vegetarians. His problem might be genetics. My boss just had quadruple bypass surgery, he eats much less than I do as far as calories and fat and he doesn't eat much in the way of junk food. He avid golfer and is a very care free kind of guy. He's also just over 50. Not the prime candidate for a heart attack. I didn't believe it before, but from what I'm learning about him and friends in biology, genes definitely play an important roll. Veganism wouldn't hurt but its not the cure-all.

You may be right, I didn't read it that way. Even still, he's taking an active role in his deteriorating health. He knows what steps he *could* be taking to be healthier without moving or quitting his job, but he's not taking them. He's asking for it.

His story sound like the typical story of most Americans.

"I don't eat a lot of fatty foods, in fact I never eat junk food"

Yet his doctor urges him to cut back on the refined carbs, like pasta and bread.

Refined foods are junk food

"I still hate to exercise, and I do eat bread and pasta, but mostly my diet is fine"

I bet his diet falls right in line with most Americans.

41% Meat and Dairy

52% Refined foods

7% Fresh Fruit and Vegetables

That guy looks much older than 43, dontcha think? Poor health often takes a toll on your looks too. I guess that's why I still look 16 hahaha.

Stress will prematurely age people, especially when stress motivates people to not take care of themselves.

Get a job with serious responsibility, have a kid, cut down on sleep taking care of an infant, taking care of your home, finishing up the work from the office, shove junk food in your mouth when you are freaking out at your desk, blow off exercise, get a bottle of a caffeinated drink.......repeat for a few years and you can look

like shit at 43 too.

Jim Fixx was a running guru who wrote a book that started Americans jogging as a form of exercise. He died of a heart attack that was caused by a congenital defect. Genetics.

99% of the time genetics is just an convenient excuse for sickness and an early death.

Jim may have been an exception. I don't know much about his diet.

It is hard to blame your high cholesterol on genetics if you eat the Standard American Diet.

Jim Fixx was a running guru who wrote a book that started Americans jogging as a form of exercise. He died of a heart attack that was caused by a congenital defect. Genetics.

99% of the time genetics is just an convenient excuse for sickness and an early death.

Jim may have been an exception. I don't know much about his diet.

It is hard to blame your high cholesterol on genetics if you eat the Standard American Diet.

He had an autopsy, he had a verifiable defect in his heart that was discovered. His diet didn't have anything to do with it. Absolute rules about human health fail as there are many exceptions.

doctors were urging me to start exercising more and to cut down on refined carbohydrates, like pasta and bread.

As The china study quotes diet was found to turn on certain genes to be expressed or turn off certain genes. So this guy just could have activated a line of bad genes. Or he was just careless. He said also my dr. told me to stop eating so much carbs. There are some studies showing link between high glycemic levels and hear disease and cancer.

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/76/1/286S

http://content.onlinejacc.org/cgi/content/abstract/50/1/14

http://www.globalizationandhealth.com/content/4/1/4

That guy looks much older than 43, dontcha think? Poor health often takes a toll on your looks too. I guess that's why I still look 16 hahaha.

Stress will prematurely age people, especially when stress motivates people to not take care of themselves.

Get a job with serious responsibility, have a kid, cut down on sleep taking care of an infant, taking care of your home, finishing up the work from the office, shove junk food in your mouth when you are freaking out at your desk, blow off exercise, get a bottle of a caffeinated drink.......repeat for a few years and you can look

like shit at 43 too.

Yeah my bf is 46. Never had kids. Never smoked. Rarely drinks, has a good job, exercises regularly and now eats a mostly vegetarian diet. He looks 15 years younger than he really is!

Yeah my bf is 46. Never had kids. Never smoked. Rarely drinks, has a good job, exercises regularly and now eats a mostly vegetarian diet. He looks 15 years younger than he really is!

Probably a good thing since you wrote that you get mistaken for 16

I started noticing lifestyle habits making a difference in appearance when I cam back home for a visit after my first year in college and saw what some kids looked like who did the frat boy or pothead thing freshman year.

Then several years later I made friends with two women both 42. One looked hot and the other one could have passed for a grandmother. The hot one had her one child as a teenager, ate well, got of a stressful marriage, and ran everyday. The faux grandmom was in a mediocre marriage and had 6 kids with only a little more than a year apart.

I've known a bunch of people since college. What prematurely ages women's appearance the most, in my experience is:

1. regular sun tanning

2. smoking

3. getting pregnant

4. poor weight management

What tends to age the men's appearance the most among people I know:

1. Working long hours in a job they don't care about beyond paying the bills

2. blowing off exercise and poor nutrition

3. using caffiene like water

4. poor weight management

5. booze

Probably a good thing since you wrote that you get mistaken for 16

Yar, if I don't wear makeup I look very young. I'm 22 years old and people sometimes ask me what grade I'm in.. Lol