California voters approve gay-marriage ban

bodybag

http://wifeandmomoftwo.wordpress.com/2007/08/22/methodists-sue-new-jersey-over-attempt-to-force-gay-%e2%80%9cmarriage%e2%80%9d-at-church-owned-camp/

Type in "seperation of church and state' in your search engine and see if you can tell me just how the courts can interpret this Amendment. I don't think people really understand the flimsyness of the verbage presented in this Amendment.

What amendment are you talking about? You don't provide context.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amendment I: Freedom of speech, religion, press, petition and assembly.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.2

Yes you can. We get new religions over here all the time. We have 160,000,000 Christians and many millions more from other religions, so we're Christian-Dominated, but still have room for many Gods of various powers.

Here you can do anything you want, including start a new religion and get famous people to get behind it Or just create a really cool website and build a religious following on an active forum or message board.

You can make your own God or be your own God and they're all equally believable.

This is America! Live the American Dream.......

Yes you can. We get new religions over here all the time. We have 160,000,000 Christians and many millions more from other religions, so we're Christian-Dominated, but still have room for many Gods of various powers.

Here you can do anything you want, including start a new religion and get famous people to get behind it Or just create a really cool website and build a religious following on an active forum or message board.

You can make your own God or be your own God and they're all equally believable.

This is America! Live the American Dream.......

My dear kind heavenly Robert,

Thank thee for all thou has done for me. Please give me big biceps, deltoids, and lats. I will try to take my protein powder, and do as thy would have me do. Thank thee for thy divine inspiration, forums, and t-shirts, and I say these things in the name of Vegan Bodybuiling and Fitness.

Amen

That was an awesome video!

A bunch of my friends posted it on facebook too.

I encourage everyone to watch it and think about it. I just don't understand how people could be so mean and so cruel and so full of ignorance and hate. It just doesn't make sense.

It's not that simple, it's about religious freedoms too. But no one want to address that part of it. They just want to give some freedoms and take some freedoms at the same time. Religious freedoms. and of course if your Atheist you don't respect peoples religion. (KInd of like you argument about people not respecting the right for gay marraige) That's why you can only see one side of the story. Because you are as quilty as the rest ignoring the freedoms of others.

What freedoms of yours are being taken away or impacted?

Please explain. In all seriousness, I have no idea where you're coming from and can't understand your perspective or the perspective of others who share this view. I just can't wrap my head around it, other than people being homophobic or immature. That is the only thing I can think of.

Thanks man.

I'm sorry, but I find this thread very offensive. I know many of you find it humorous mocking peoples religious beliefs, and peoples belief in God. Alll I can say is that there are many beleifs out there, and unless you understand something you shouldn't really make fun of it. That is all I'm going to say about this, and any other similar posts that will inevitably come up.

I'm sorry, but I find this thread very offensive. I know many of you find it humorous mocking peoples religious beliefs, and peoples belief in God. Alll I can say is that there are many beleifs out there, and unless you understand something you shouldn't really make fun of it. That is all I'm going to say about this, and any other similar posts that will inevitably come up.

I know what you are talking about.

It's amazing how people can ask you to reach across and undestand the other side, when they themselves rufuse to do the same, and only revert to searching for negative adjectives to discribe you.

Edited by Vegan Joe

I find it offensive because it's filled with homophobia, hate and ignorance. But yeah, making fun of religion is worse.

I find it offensive because it's filled with homophobia, hate and ignorance. But yeah, making fun of religion is worse.
Funny,I find it full of people who have little understanding, and go further to prove it by referring to people as homophobic, hateful, and ignorant, without really knowing that person. But their lack of perception leaves them with nothing but name calling, because they don't want to understand for fear that someone might prove them wrong. These are the people who think that calling others names some how makes them right.

It's good that you find it offensive, because it means that you actually stand for something and believe in something and really mean it. Most people don't have the courage to believe in something, or believe in themselves, or have things of deep meaning in their lives. I look for those traits in others, it's a sign of a strong character. I have the same traits, just from a totally opposing viewpoint

Taking a stand for something you believe in is admirable. Following something aimlessly like sheep with the wool pulled over their eyes is not. So as long as people are free thinking, it doesn't really matter to me which side of an issue they are on, as long as it doesn't harm too many others. I argue that religion is very harmful, as I mentioned, as reasons behind wars, including current ones, suicide bombing, opposing gay marriage, and harmful in the fact it simply isn't factual, true or even honest.

I actually find religion offensive to intelligence, logic, evidence, science and reason. As see religions as some ideas an individual or group of people came up with the spread as truths when they really aren't. Look at Mormonism. It was made up by someone, not too long ago. Scientology, same thing...just created out of nowhere. Christianity and others, same thing, they just got back a little longer, but were still just ideas by men who passed them onto other men with ideas and formed some sort of book based around their ideas.

I could, quite easily, start my own religion and it would be just as authentic as others that have world power and domination with millions of followers. I live a pretty "good" life, in the fact that I am good to people and the planet. In fact, most people think I am a Christian Missionary or something like that because of my behaviors. I simply do a lot of good. Perhaps, I am the right kind of person to come along and start a new religion? I would not bomb or hate others. I would allow gay people to marry one another, and I would promote peace, and would not advocate eating animals. I would not make up stories with 900 year old people, talking serpentines, and large boats carrying all the worlds animals, predators and prey. It wouldn't be honest to do that and would not be responsible. I would be reasonable and so would my religion. We'd lift others up, not thing others are unworthy for not finding our secrets yet. I'd talk to real people, rather than pretend people up in the sky. I'd take actions to create real change, rather than sitting around asking for change.

My point initially was to say that made up religious beliefs are the cause of so many problems. What if we were just real with ourselves and honest with others, wouldn't we be better off?

I've always been focused on respect. That is written in to the mission and vision of the forum, and of course you know that about me as somewhat of a positive forum observer and participant, but something caught my attention recently when I heard Richard Dawkins say about Religion (referring to why some of the problems like 9/11 happen), "Quit being so damned respectful." I take that to mean, quit saying that you have to be respectful of others when they have insane religious beliefs and want to kill people. Not that all religious individuals do, or that all religions do, but historically and currently, that is still a big part of a lot of popular religions. I see the good things that religion can do such as giving people hope, building community, providing a place to go on Sunday (and some Wednesdays), promote singing, giving, family values, etc. I get it. I just don't think any of the religion stories are true.

How does my church sound, by the way?

Where in this thread did anyone mock anyone's religious beliefs? Will you at least respond and explain what it is you're talking about?

Religion in itself is not responsible for all the ignorance, homophobia and hate. It's the people who believe. And even then. Not all religious humans believe same sex relationships are against God.

All we have to go by is the Bible. And that's been written, re-written, translated and re-translated by man. And( Even though I am Christian ) I believe without a doubt that there are some things in the bible that were added by mankinds ignorance.

I took a gay rights( What was called Political Science ) class and learned that in the original "greek" bible it didn't list anything about Same-Sex relationships being wrong. That was added probably in the early 19th to 20th century by mankinds fear and ignorance.

A lot of you will argue that Religion is or isn't Homophobic, Ignorant and hate filled. But I think we can all agree that Humans are Homophobic, hate filled and Ignorant.

Like the old saying. Guns don't kill people. People kill people.

I wasn't responding directly to you per say. I just had something to say and the context of your post was somewhat relevant. So I quoted it( Because I was too lazy to just scroll down and click post reply ). I did read all of your post. And I agree. Dealing with ripping on Homosexuals and other issues is a more important cause then dealing with rips on religion( Even though I don't like it. I can see the truth and the truth is there are more important causes )