Post yo TV set up

Dr. Pink

I voluntarily do not own a television.

If I had one around, I would end up watching it all of the time and not watching things that I would value spending my time on.

I play movies from my Netflix service on my PC running Ubuntu GNU/Linux.

It is just as nice watching a movie on a "normal" sized television before TVs became super-sized. I love this set up. I have access to quality stuff, but without the temptation of the crap.

IMO Cable is by far NOT the most important thing a TV is good for. I only use my cable to listen to sirius radio( If my comp plays music it runs slow ). The most important thing anyone could do with a TV is video games. Especially a Wii. I mean wowz. It lets you move and stuff. Interactive. What's better then getting a bit of exercise while killin zombies?

The 44" TV was given to us by the wife of a couple who lived across the street. They got divorced, and while my son and myself were helping the girls move, into a small apartment, she asked if we would like to have the TV for helping, for free, along with an aluminum boat, trailer, and motor.

The other TV I mounted sideways(so you can see it with your head on the pillow) on my dresser, and sometimes go to sleep with it, my wife being a night owl, and me a morning person usually shuts it off when coming to bed, as she doesn't like backround noise when she is going to sleep.

There is a third TV in the garage. 25" Dia. I think?

http://i37.tinypic.com/25a45xv.jpg

http://i38.tinypic.com/qq4oz9.jpg

Not into tv's, but I do have a badass computer.

My computer is 4 years old, in it's day it was a badass.

My TV has been unplugged for about 2 years.

I do rent movies and watch some sci-fi online.

I watch everything on my computer.

Not the biggest screen, but when you're just a couple feet away, big isn't needed.

Sound system is good too, Logitech THx speakers hooked up the the computer.

Also Carver PreAmp, Adcom Power Amp and Polk Speakers.

http://www.huetheronline.org/nsdq/mynewbfg2.jpg

Why are there 2 CPU fans in there? What socket/chipset is that motherboard? I have never seen that.

Is the 2nd CPU fan for a powerful onboad GPU? If so why is there a card in the AGP slot?

There are 2 CPU fans because there are 2 CPU sockets.

Intel 875 Chipset, dual socket 604 Intel Xeon CPUs.

It is an Asus PC-DL motherboard

I built this system back before Dual Core CPUs were out.

The only way to get 2 cores was 2 sockets.

Here is a pic of the CPUs with the heatsinks and fans removed.

http://www.huetheronline.org/nsdq/newcpus.jpg

I voluntarily do not own a television.

If I had one around, I would end up watching it all of the time and not watching things that I would value spending my time on.

I play movies from my Netflix service on my PC running Ubuntu GNU/Linux.

It is just as nice watching a movie on a "normal" sized television before TVs became super-sized. I love this set up. I have access to quality stuff, but without the temptation of the crap.

Just curious how you got Netflix Online working on a Linux system? It was my impression that (unfortunately) Internet Explorer was required to access Netflix's streaming content.

Just curious how you got Netflix Online working on a Linux system? It was my impression that (unfortunately) Internet Explorer was required to access Netflix's streaming content.

I didn't. I still use their DVD delivery service.

I know you can do Netflix downloads on the Mac now. Linux is coming one way or another. Somebody just made an app on the mozilla platform called Songbird that is mutliplatform and that can be used as an iTunes substitute.

Joe I just built a new pc after being on an olddddd athlon xp 2400 for like 5 years...

I'm still an AMD Fanboy though.

Specs are:

Athlon 64 x2 @ 3.1ghz

4gb ddr2 @ 800mhz

Nvidia GTX 260 (yes pc games)

Also got a 22" widescreen for it, and logitech z5500 speakers (amazing).

Very happy with it so far.

Joe I just built a new pc after being on an olddddd athlon xp 2400 for like 5 years...

Specs are:

Athlon 64 x2 @ 3.1ghz

4gb ddr2 @ 800mhz

Well lets see a picture.

Specs are:

Athlon 64 x2 @ 3.1ghz

4gb ddr2 @ 800mhz

Now all ya need is a Logitech( Or other Brand ) PC-Gaming controller. No more using keyboards and getting carpel tunnel during gaming. I had one until it broke. Trew it against the floor when I lost.

Specs are:

Athlon 64 x2 @ 3.1ghz

4gb ddr2 @ 800mhz

Now all ya need is a Logitech( Or other Brand ) PC-Gaming controller. No more using keyboards and getting carpel tunnel during gaming. I had one until it broke. Trew it against the floor when I lost.

Have a wireless xbox 360 controller for pc, but i prefer mouse and keyboard

Vegan Joe you have the same stereo as me.

My PC is pretty basic, it lets me play most recent games, but some of them now are too much for my graphics card.Cant remember the stats right now but is not impressive compared to the ones listed here.

specs

***Main Gaming Rig****

Lian Li PC-60B Plus // Gigabyte P35 DS3R Mainboard //Intel Q6600 Quad Core @3.0ghz cool and stable // EVGA 8800GTS (512) @725MHZ

// 4GB 2gbx@2gb G. Skill Dual Channel PC-800 DDR low latency ram // 150gb WD Raptor// Vista X64 // Ubuntu 64bit (dual boot)

***HTPC***

Silverstone SST-LC10-M // Gigabyte AMD Socket AM2+ // AMD Athlon 64X2 5000+ // 2 x 1 TB Samsung SATA // 4gb 2x2gb Corsiar DDR2 800 ram//

Huappage HDTV Tuner //Vista X64 Media Center //Connected VIA Optical out and HDMI to Onky SR-606 //Samsung 1080P plasma tv