Working out at home with no equipment.

I'm really looking forward to working out at home but i have very little equipment and no gym access.

First of all i have: dumbells, trampoline, skipping rope. and that's really it. don't even have a bar bell.

Im really just wondering if this is enough to have a varied workout. obviously i can do crunches and other stuff but weight lifting-wise i'm limited.

any advice on how i can get around these short falls would be appreciated.

I'm really looking forward to working out at home but i have very little equipment and no gym access.

First of all i have: dumbells, trampoline, skipping rope. and that's really it. don't even have a bar bell.

Im really just wondering if this is enough to have a varied workout. obviously i can do crunches and other stuff but weight lifting-wise i'm limited.

any advice on how i can get around these short falls would be appreciated.

do you have a way of doing pullups? How much do your dumbbells weight? What are you trying do accomplish?

i have a pull-up bar but it isn't installed yet. you think pull ups are worthwhile?

My arms are pretty skinny at the moment and i'm looking to have a more toned stomach. i really just want to build some muscles in my upper body and lose some unnecessary fat.

i don't know how much my dumbells weigh at the moment but they're certainly heavy enough. i have some trouble doing side laterals so i guess that's a sign that they're suitable.

You dont need any weights at all to devolp a well balanced and substancially built body. You might fair well from looking into Pilates. You wont tone your midsection with crunches only stregthen it. In order to tone it you must lose unecessary fat... To build your "skinny" arms... Id start out with pushups, dips off a chair and planks to the front and either side.

Ok so you have just the one pair of dumbbells? Yes I am a fan of pullups. Now arent you the one who purchased the shoalin DVD? I get confused with all the people.

Get a full coffee can (so it doesnet collapse, ofcourse if you weigh too much then it might not work) lay the can on its side, then get a piece of wood , about as wide or long as the width of your shoulders, to lay over the can so that the bottom of the can is facing your feet. A 2X4 or similar piece of wood and lay the wood over the coffee can so that the bottom and the top of the can are sticking out the sides of the wood. Place your hands on the too ends of the wood Your feet on the ground. Then do some pushups on the teeter tatter (the can and the wood) Balancing yourself on the wood while doing doing pushups will increase core and the usual pushup muscles.

Your balance apparatus should look something like this. http://www.amazon.com/Carrom-Balance-Board/dp/B00003G1U0

Then reverse and put your feet on the wood and your hands on the ground and do another set.

in both instances ofcourse you should not let the wood touch the ground.

Next pick the can up and put it into one hand, assume a shoulder press position. Now shoot the can up into the air and over to the other hand. then back over again. When you get good stand on the balance board (wood and coffee can) and do a set.

set the pull up bar so that you can jumpup to the contracted position (pulled all the way up) then lower your way back down to the ground. This will help you to create strength to do actual pullups.

As well as increasing all of the trunk muscles it will increase your arms.

Mix up slow and fast so you dont get bored.

I think you can do a great home workout with hardly any equipment at all. First, install that pull up bar. Doing pullups will work a lot of muscle groups and contribute greatly to your overall strength. You can also hang from it and do hanging knee raises for your abs. Use the dumbbells to do the standard stuff; bicep curls, tricep kick backs, lateral raises, get a chair and do some seater shoulder presses. You can also get in front of the chair, put your palms on the seat and do some assisted dips. That stuff along with push ups and sit ups would be great in my opinion. I also think pazios2002's balance board idea is awesome if you can put that together.

Let's not forget the king of bodyweight exercises: Pistol squats .

oh man, those things freak me out haha i remember one of my first lower back fuckups and it was one legged squat on a smith machine, so now one legged squats already scare me

Another viction of the smith machine speaks out!

Seriously, those things can be more dangerous than a loaded handgun with some exercises. After the tale of the guy at my gym who had a serious hernia (not even going to go into detail - what actually happened to the poor guy makes me queasy just thinking about it), I knew there was a reason I avoided it. If the ROM is over 4", I won't touch that thing with a 10 foot pole. Overhead lockouts for just a few inches of ROM, overhead shrugs and 1-arm shrugs are the only reasons I've got for ever considering incorporating that cursed device from time to time.

You can do it. Remember that back in the old days they didn't have all the stuff we do now. Personally I have done donkey calf raises with my kid for weight. some local parks even have some equipment like bars and benches with instructions. And you can add stuff when you save a few bucks.

Let's not forget the king of bodyweight exercises: Pistol squats .

oh man, those things freak me out haha i remember one of my first lower back fuckups and it was one legged squat on a smith machine, so now one legged squats already scare me

Hey, no reason to bad mouth pistol squats just because smith machines suck . I dont at all see what smith machines have to do with pistol squats?

I think he was actually doing split squats.

Pistol has the free leg extended out and you squat down on the other. bodyweight only, unless you are holding a weight. No bars or equipment.

The book "The Naked Warrior" by Pavel Tsatsaouline is the best place to learn it from.

It took me almost three months to do a real one.

I have been doing all my workouts at home with bodyweight "+" exercises. I have a weighted vest that allows you to put olympic plates in it. Adonis it is called.

You don't really need to buy that, some dumbbells and water bottles in a backpack should do.

Try these sites: Beast Skills and Bodyweight Culture

For your chest, try decline pushups (where you raise your legs) and add some weight to a backpack as needed.

• 1 month later...

Not to hijack... I FREAKING HATE SMITH MACHINES!!! They suck. But not guna lie, theyre helpful when people dont know what they want or how to do it properly..... Safer (sometimes) and always free because no one else likes them.. teeheee.

I love equipment-less training. Quite a lot of what I do are just bodyweight exercises and isometrics. Obviously I still like using weights, but I've had some great results from other types of workouts, too.