One Woman Protest

chesty leroux

While driving to drop something off at UPS for my friend I passed a fur store having a mink sale which of course really pissed me off. I went to UPS and then got in my car and started driving home but I was still really irked about the mink sale so I made a U turn, went to farm fresh, got some markers and a posterboard and madeg a big sign that said FUR IS MURDER.

I made it on the hood of my car and then marched over to the fur store and stood in front of it. After I was there for like a half hour the owner came out...with a hanger...i dont know if he was thinking i was gonna be violent...he told me I needed to move from where I was that I was upsetting the customers ( good...fur haggs.) , which was what I was expecting so I complied...he said, happy holiday and I said "Happy Holidays to you too, To bad it's not a happy holday for the Minks!"

He tried to tell me he owned part of the side walk and make me move. I ended up standing right on the edge of where he said he owned to, with my heels right against the grass which really pissed him off. He told me to get on the sidewalk and I said shut up im on the fucking sidewalk.

He ended up staying out there for like another half hour on the phone prolly trying to call the police to see if he could do anything about it. I satyed for like an hour and a half, I wouldve stayed longer but the temperature dropped and I couldnt feel my hands or my feet anymore. Hopefully I reached some people.

For every bad reaction there was a good one. Lots of people honked and waved or smiled and thumbs ups. Some people flipped me off, gave me thumbs down, one lady in a pink sweater stuck out her tongue at me, one guy got out of his car and was like "Does that say fur is Murder?" I nodded. "Shove us in Jail then" ...or maybe he said "So is your president" hahah I dont know. One lady yelled our "I'm all for fur woooo! Get a job!"

One girl wearing this hood with fur trim on it across the street laughed and yelled across to me "Mine is fake! Just thought I should let you know!" I yelled back " Awesome!"

And the topper of all the bad reactions, some freaks threw beef jerky at me.

It was a productive day.

Awesome !!

The funny thing is that all the people that made contact with you (for your cause or not) are also passionate about their belives. Since what the world needs is more passion, this gives me hope!

For one day you showed passion and you got others to do the same! I hope one day, you will become president !

Good for you!

Just think, you might have reached a few people, and that small seed of discontent with fur will spread to others. Try not to let the "fur-lovers" get you down. Obviously, it touched them in some way (maybe they actually feel some guilt, but try to keep it down) and they had to defend themselves .

If there were a smootchy smilie, I'd send you one!

way to go!

I need to get a pic of this thing I made last year. Its like a fox scarf, fake fox of course. I don’t really know what you would call it. Anyway it looks like a dead stuffed animal,it even has little “x”s for eye. Everyone makes fun of me when I wear it saying that it looks like road kill. I think its funny… and what the hell? Could it be and more tacky then the real thing? i dont think so!

Most superbly executed activism

not really...doesn't seem like much difference/impact was made.

dude, why the negativity? we are all in the same boat here, and this kind of shit gets no one anywhere. i think that its great that ash did what she did - she got people thinking, got some publicity (and as the old saying goes, there is no such thing as bad publicity) and made an effort. i wish that i could say that i do the same.

jonathan

Ash, you are sooooo still my internet girlfriend! Nice work. I've done some protest stuff but not nearly as much as many of you. I know Jonathan, Compassioinategirl, and others are heavily involved and very active in protesting. I think I need my balls re-attached. I haven't done much protesting lately. Obviously I still promote veganism on a world-wide level everyday but I need to get back out there in my local community more often.

I agree with Jonathan. We are here to support each other, we're on the same team, we should focus on the positive as much as possible.

There are many times I could be offended or bothered as we all are at times, but we're like an extended family as far as I'm concerned and we should look out for each other whenever we can.

Keep up the great work everyone.

Sorry you had Beef Jerky thrown at you Ash. If I was there I would have had a few things to say or do to stand up for my girl! You rocked, I'm sure you made some people really think, and others who chose not to, don't think anyway.

Happy Holidays. Go warm up your feet and hands now.

-Robster

Please see blue text below. it is really annoying that I still cannot manage to successfully break up quotes.

Sorry you had Beef Jerky thrown at you Ash.

If I was there I would have had a few things to say or do to stand up for my girl!

AWWW THAT IS SO CHIVALROUS, ROMANTIC AND LOYAL. WHO SAID CHIVALRY WAS DEAD? IT IS SO SEXY, I FIND, WHEN MEN DEFEND THEIR WOMEN (EVEN IF IT IS THERE INTERNET WOMEN), AND EVEN WHEN THEIR WOMEN DONT NEED DEFENDING. OR VICE VERSE. OR EVEN FRIENDS DEFENDING FRIENDS. IT IS THE LOYALTY PART OF IT THAT IS A TURN ON I FIND.

(NOW I AM EXPECTING A WHOLE BUNCH OF FEMINIST BACKLASH IN RESPONSE TO SOME OF THE ABOVE, BUT WHATEVER.)

You rocked, I'm sure you made some people really think, and others who chose not to, don't think anyway.

EXACTLY. IF THERE IS ONE THING THAT I HAVE LEARNED OVER THE YEARS, IT IS THAT THE SUCCESS OF AN ACT OF ACTIVISM IS NOT EASILY DISCERNABLE MOST OF THE TIME. YOU NEVER KNOW JUST HOW MUCH YOU HAVE INFLUENCED SOMEBODY, EVEN WHEN IT APPEARS THAT YOU HAVENT INFLUENCED THEM AT ALL. VERY RARELY WILL YOU SEE "IMMEDIATE RESULTS". ANYTIME PEOPLE HEAR YOUR MESSAGE OR SEE YOUR SIGNS, THEY THINK ABOUT THE ISSUE. IT BRINGS IT TO THEIR MIND, WHERE THEY MIGHT NEVER HAVE EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT IT OTHERWISE. WHEN YOU GET PEOPLE THINKING ABOUT THE ISSUES, THAT IS SUCCESSFUL ACTIVISM IN MY OPINION, EVEN IF YOU DONT ACTUALLY KNOW WHETHER YOU HAVE INFLUENCED THEM IN THE MANNER YOU WANTED.

AT THE VERY LEAST, THE STORE OWNER AND THE FUR WEARING HAGS AND THE PEOPLE DRIVING BY ASH WERE REMINDED BY ASH THAT THERE ARE PEOPLE OUT THERE THAT OPPOSE THE CRUELTY OF FUR. GETTING ACTIVE FOR THE ANIMALS IS NEVER A WASTE OF TIME.

SO I REITERATE. GREAT JOB ASH! I AGREE WITH JONATHAN AND ROB AND ALL THE OTHER POSITIVE COMMENTS MADE ABOUT WHAT YOU DID. LIKE JONATHAN SAID, IT ISNT EASY DOING IT WITH OTHER CO-ACTIVISTS LET ALONE DOING IT ALONE. YOU HAVE GUTS, AND YOU MAKE US PROUD!

-Robster

Edited by compassionategirl

Hey Nat,

Thanks for the comments about everyone, Ash, Jonathan, me, etc.

You know I was actually worried about that comment I made. I was hoping people wouldn't take the wrong way (like as if Ash couldn't defend herself). I was just saying as her friend (and internet boyfriend) I would have supported her...which I'm glad you noticed It's all about TEAMWORK and supporting other friends and standing up for our animal friends.

On a side note....you know I still don't know how to change color of text or do anything cool. I made one poll and that was fun. I haven't even changed my avatar in fear that I won't know how to get another photo up there I suck.

Anyway, great job Team Vegan for all that you do to promote this lifestyle and for speakinig for those who can't be heard (or understood) 'our animal friends'

-Rob-tonka-truck

hey - good posts guys! i have to say that i am not really very active at the moment. the whole winter thing has got me right down in that area so i need to put a bit more effort it. i do nearly always wear a vegan top though, and have many many conversations with people about it!

jonathan

I think many people are activists without even knowing it.

Activism is commonly thought as being about protesting and demos.

That is certainly one form of activism, and an important one. But there are so many other ways to get active for animals.

You can be active for example without ever leaving the security and comfort of your computer. Writing a letter to the editor of your newspaper, promoting a vegan message, is activism for example, and a good one too because it can reach hundreds and even thousands of people if it gets published.

Sending an important action alert email to your non-vegan friends and contacts asking them to help on a particular campaign is activism.

Leaving a few animal rights leaflets behind you when you get off of the train/bus so the next person that sits down can read about it is activism. Alwys be sure to carry a couple of copies of vegan leaflets in your bag -- you never know when you will need one handy! Be prepared so the animals never miss an opportunity that presents itself.

Sticking animal rights/veganism stickers in your elevator or other prominent places is activism and involves zero confrontation with people (unless of course they see you sticking them up).

When standing in a grocery store or bank line up or other line up where others are within earshot, pretend you are on your cell phone having a convo with somebody and talk to this imaginary person about how you saw "Meet your Meat" video and were shocked and appaulled at how animals are routinely tortured for meat production. That is activism - and you are talking to people without actually talking to them directly or having to look them in the eye.

There are literally hundreds of ways to get active for the animals. There is always at least one thing that people can do and would be comfortable doing (unless of course you are a moral relativist vegan ). And some of these things take up only seconds of your time if even that much. For example, the talking on your cell phone thing about meet your meat in a line up takes no extra time whatsoever because you already have to wait in that line up. So why not turn that wasted time into a productive time that helps animals!!

Let's get creative and make productive use of every opportunity we get!

I think I need my balls re-attached. I haven't done much protesting lately. Obviously I still promote veganism on a world-wide level everyday but I need to get back out there in my local community more often.

-Robster

The maintenance of this website, the making of the movie, the promotion of veganism during your body building contests, is activism.

me talking about my vegan perfume to all my "cruella" glammed up friends, is activism.

Hey Nat,

Thanks for sharing all the great ideas! I think of many of those too. You're right, there are infinite ways of being a vegan activist. Thanks for pointing some people in the right direction and giving them ideas for things they can do locally and globally.

Keep on keepin on. Life's a garden, dig it.

-Rob

Most superbly executed activism

not really...doesn't seem like much difference/impact was made.

dude, why the negativity? we are all in the same boat here, and this kind of shit gets no one anywhere. i think that its great that ash did what she did - she got people thinking, got some publicity (and as the old saying goes, there is no such thing as bad publicity) and made an effort. i wish that i could say that i do the same.

jonathan

i think that her energies could have been used much more effectively.

Ash, you are sooooo still my internet girlfriend! Nice work....

Sorry you had Beef Jerky thrown at you Ash. If I was there I would have had a few things to say or do to stand up for my girl! You rocked, I'm sure you made some people really think, and others who chose not to, don't think anyway.

-Robster

Hehe I might be the next one to move to Oregon.

Thanks for all the responses guys, I had all of you in mind while I was protesting. Having such a great group of people here really helps me with being secure in my veganism, and that I have a right to make a statement and no matter what happens you guys will be here to support me and offer your opinions and criticism. I really appreciate that. You have no idea.

CG I do alot of passive activism like you were talking about, leaving leaflets, stickers, handouts etc. everywhere. My friends think I'm crazy for my little one person protest but I know it made them think about it. And I was right on the corner of a busy intersection so hopefully, I reached at least one person. Reaching people can be a slow process because people have to come to these conclusions on their own like each of us did at one point.

Anyways, I heart you guys. Happy Holidays!