Brokeback mountain

madcat

maybe I’m a glutton for punishment (going to see a cowboy movie and all) but I was really not prepared for how graphic it was. The homosexual theme was not the problem. I was very up set at the close up shot of a disemboweled sheep.

The story was good, although with all of it nominations I guess I was expecting to be blown away, but it really did get me thinking. I can stop wondering what it means, as in what the right choice would have been. Anyway, if anyone else sees it I would love to discuss it with you.

I saw it and liked it very much. Primarily, it was visually beautiful. But I also came to feel for the characters (the two main guys and Ennis's wife).

I guess when I see things like the sheep, I assume they are fake. Just like I assume disemboweled humans in horror movies are fake. They are, right? Of course, that doesn't stop the image from being disturbing if you are pulled into the movie.

I guess when I see things like the sheep, I assume they are fake. Just like I assume disemboweled humans in horror movies are fake. They are, right? Of course, that doesn't stop the image from being disturbing if you are pulled into the movie.

I'm positive it's fake. Shortly after "Dances with Wolves" came out I read an article that explained how they filmed a dying buffalo. It is amazing what Hollywood can do. The entire 'buffalo' was fake. They used a bellows to imitate the dying breaths of the 'buffalo.'

Still, I would not want to see a disemboweled animal, fake or not.

My sister just sent me this e-mail. She watched it with my her husband who I mentioned above said it was "GREAT!"

"You HAVE to see this movie - it is amazing! It's the best movie I've seen in

years. Maybe you can catch a matainee if you want to save money. Evrim and I just got back from watching it and neither of us can believe how good it is. You have to make time to see it before it leaves the theater."

R B

It’s really sad that the two guys couldn’t just have what they wanted. Life must be really hard for homosexuals.

oh my god that is fucking hilarious...could you sound any more distanced and condescending with one statement?

It’s really sad that the two guys couldn’t just have what they wanted. Life must be really hard for homosexuals.

oh my god that is fucking hilarious...could you sound any more distanced and condescending with one statement?

even though criticism of discrimination from Jza's mouth sounds a little hypocritical, i have to agree. it does have an awful ring of pity and a total lack of understanding to it.

jonathan

I might go see it soon and I'll post a review. I just chatted with my sister, since i'm visiting her in Portland today and she says it is really good.

I've only seen one movie in the theatre in the past 2 years and it was Mr. and Mrs. Smith, which was pretty fun to watch.

Time for find myself a date!

-Rob

I guess when I see things like the sheep, I assume they are fake. Just like I assume disemboweled humans in horror movies are fake. They are, right?

Of course disembowled humans are fake images, but it's not always the case with animals. The disembowled sheep could very well be real (since sheep are common food animals, and dead animals are all too often used as "props" in movies.

The American Humane Association has a web site that gives details about how animals are treated in movies, and whether or not scenes of cruelty or dead animals are real or faked. (I had to check out " The Ring," because there's a very realistic-looking shot of a horse jumping off a boat and getting slammed into the boat. They went into detail about how the stunt was filmed.)

The whole movie I kept thing “if only they could just be together”, but because of society. Obviously being apart didn’t work out for them ether. What would have been right… knowing how the movie ended (I don’t what to give too much away for those who haven’t seen it). Or am I over analyzing the whole thing?

Saw the movie yesterday and really liked it. Also read the book few hours before going to the cinema; the movie is practically the same, they've just added something at the end which I think works well.

Beautiful story, sad and moving, lots of people were in tears. I thought the actors were great, I was especially impressed by Anne Hathaway's performance (Jack's wife).

Also some of the locations were breathtaking and the score was quality too. I highly reccomend it.

• 1 month later...

Brokeback Movie - that's what I called it. Why? Because the first sex scene came so out-of-the-blue to me ("WOAH - WHERE DID THAT COME FROM?!") that it ruined the rest of the movie for me - so I sat squirming around in my seat trying to find a position that wouldn't hurt my back (believe me, it was not a sub-conscious Freudian reaction to the sex - those damn cinema seats are killers!).

Then the end has another under-explained scene (how a particular character dies). I thought I was going to need a chiropractor at that point.

Alas, after debating this with a friend who didn't find a problem with either scene, I was lent the book (short story actually). Lo and behold, both of the movie scenes I had a problem with are better explained in the book. There WAS more relationship development in the book prior to the initial hook-up, and the cause of death was more clearly defined.

Why the movie didn't explain these better, I don't know. I'm surprised more people haven't had these same complaints about the movie. It was a good movie, but it would have taken a whole 2 or 3 more minutes of film to make it a great movie.

I agree that Anne Hathaway was superb. Jake and Heath were both very good as well (I thought Jake's character was a bit more interesting, though, and would give him a better chance of scoring an Oscar than Heath).

Brokeback Movie - that's what I called it. Why? Because the first sex scene came so out-of-the-blue to me ("WOAH - WHERE DID THAT COME FROM?!") that it ruined the rest of the movie for me - so I sat squirming around in my seat trying to find a position that wouldn't hurt my back (believe me, it was not a sub-conscious Freudian reaction to the sex - those damn cinema seats are killers!).

Then the end has another under-explained scene (how a particular character dies). I thought I was going to need a chiropractor at that point.

Alas, after debating this with a friend who didn't find a problem with either scene, I was lent the book (short story actually). Lo and behold, both of the movie scenes I had a problem with are better explained in the book. There WAS more relationship development in the book prior to the initial hook-up, and the cause of death was more clearly defined.

Why the movie didn't explain these better, I don't know. I'm surprised more people haven't had these same complaints about the movie. It was a good movie, but it would have taken a whole 2 or 3 more minutes of film to make it a great movie.

I agree that Anne Hathaway was superb. Jake and Heath were both very good as well (I thought Jake's character was a bit more interesting, though, and would give him a better chance of scoring an Oscar than Heath).

Watch out, if you make too many complaints about this movie, you're automatically homophobic. That's why it got good reviews. I haven't seen it though

I haven't seen it either but I really want to. I'm not a movie person at all, which is strange since I act in them Just like I write tons of articles but I don't like reading

Anyway, I've heard the movie is "GREAT!" I just attended a film festival so I'm getting into movie "watching" again. If I see it, I'll post my response.

-Robert

Finbarrio, I experience the book-to-move disconnect all the time! Or when you've read a book & you go see the movie & realize they left out critical parts or worse, the best part! They did that in "Contact". The very end of the book gave meaning to everything else & they totally left it out in the movie. It was such a disappointment!

IMO, books are always better than the movies. There are only 2 books where I think the movie version was almost as good, One Flew Over the Cookoo's Nest & The Shining. Both had Jack Nicholson -- don't know if that made a difference.