Muscle and Fitness...wack articles

Wolverine

Hey everyone!! I haven't posted in a while because I am hella busy studying for my personal training exam...it is coming up in about 2 weeks. Ahhh!!

But, I wanted to take some time out to say...WTF?!

Does anyone read Muscle and Fitness? Yeah...I know...I know...it is my own fault for reading it. But, honestly...I have gotten some great workouts and tips from it. Sadly, my favorite author wrote an article on estrogen that had this to say about vegetarians:

"In between telling you how their meat-free nutrition regimen is better for their cholesterol levels as well as the environment, vegetarians will say that they're able to get more than enough protein from plant sources to build and maintain muscle. But they're missing the crucial fact that relying solely on plant sources for protein actually lowers testosterone levels."

And...the issue contains an article called "The Alpha Male Diet" that (seriously...) has pictures of raw meat and (no joke) cartoon blood splattered on the pages. I will spare you the pictures.

What the hell?!

I think M&F has come a long way and I am very disappointed because clearly they are regressing.

EVERY single bodybuilder that I went to for advice when I first started lifting told me to start eating meat or I would never get anywhere...it is about 2 years later and, I don't eat meat but I have put on probably 15 pounds of muscle. It just makes me so pissed when I see stuff like this...because LOTS of people read this stuff and then believe it.

I think we should write in and send them some photos too...

Robert, I just want to say...it is times like this when I am really glad you started this site. Thanks!!

-Wolverine

EVERY single bodybuilder that I went to for advice when I first started lifting told me to start eating meat or I would never get anywhere...it is about 2 years later and, I don't eat meat but I have put on probably 15 pounds of muscle. It just makes me so pissed when I see stuff like this...because LOTS of people read this stuff and then believe it.

-Wolverine

Tell me about it..People told me I'd waste away but I gained 55 lbs in about 14 months as a vegan.

I know how you feel...I love oxygen mag (women) a lot, but their nutrition info is so not accurate regarding plant based diets. Every issue I want to write an article on vegan bodybuilding. I wish they would cover that, but you know, their "sponsors" and what not.....too bad, because in my op they are ultimately spreading disinfo. I've sent comments asking them to include more vegan coverage, and they have added all plant based RECIPES, but thats a lot different than actual scientific articles. And their nutritionist who writes a Q and A Column, you'd think she's getting directly compensated from the dairy industry...geesh....ok, who wants to start a VEGAN fitness mag???

"In between telling you how their meat-free nutrition regimen is better for their cholesterol levels as well as the environment, vegetarians will say that they're able to get more than enough protein from plant sources to build and maintain muscle. But they're missing the crucial fact that relying solely on plant sources for protein actually lowers testosterone levels."

This topic comes up so frequently I've collected articles debunking the BS in a special "soy" category on my blog:

http://beforewisdom.com/blog/?cat=23

Years ago I was a M&F and Flex reader.

Too expensive.

There is into the italian edition,I dont remember if M&F or Flex,an article "MANGIA DA UOMO"

translated,"EAT LIKE A MAN".

In the cover there is a guy with meat in his hands.

I hope, some vegan bodybuilder,VERY BIG,

goes to the author in his office and say him,

I dont eat meat, AND THEN??????YOU DONT LIKE?

Like a real man,very bad.

YThere is into the italian edition,I dont remember if M&F or Flex,an article "MANGIA DA UOMO"

translated,"EAT LIKE A MAN".

i own that one. the same issue contains a list of alternative protein powders to whey, including stuff like rice, pea and others which is pretty cool.

edit: i'm not buying those kind of magazines anymore though. too expensive and actually they never offer something new.

When I first started training, the guy who got me into lifting gave me one very sound piece of advice - he said that while muscle magazines had great pictures for training motivation, they're pretty much crap for everything else. He couldn't have been more correct on that one. The only time I get them now is when I'm in an airport and need something to glance at to kill time on a flight - other than that, I wouldn't pay for one for any other reason.

If you want a magazine that's actually devoted to serious training (with minimal info on supplements, diet, etc.), get your hands on a copy of MILO from Ironmind.com. The only thing really worth reading out there - great articles and training programs, lifting history, no advertisements, and they're even open to publishing the occasional piece that discusses veganism and training (which I've seen on two occasions). A bit pricey at $14.95 per issue, but it's more like a quarterly book than a magazine, and you certainly wouldn't want to throw it away after you've read it once (unlike every other muscle mag out there).

VeganEssentials, I feel the same way about muscle mags...but, I had hope for Muscle and Fitness because they just teamed up with the NSCA. And, usually I like the stuff Jim Stopanni has to say...although most of the stuff is BS I find a lot of what he has to offer pretty sound advice. It just pisses me off that to most people it is really manly to eat meat and if you don't eat meat...you are less of a man and must have high levels of estrogen in your body...grrrrr...oh, societal constructs of masculinity.

Thanks for the tip about MILO...it looks really awesome and I will check it out for sure.

-Wolverine

Don't repeat this to meat eaters. But it's one way of thinking about it.

It could be said that men who eat meat are mummy's boys. They listened to their mothers who told them they needed to eat their meat to grow up big and strong. Or they listen to other men whose mothers told them to eat their meat. Real men think for themselves and are willing to experiment. They are not afraid to walk along their own paths in life instead of following all the other mummy's boys.

That's what could be said but it wouldn't go down too well with men who aren't strong enough to think for themselves.

I don't know if this has been mentioned....but I noticed a few months ago Muscle & Fitness doesn't really feature "Pro Bodybuilders" anymore...it's more like Pro Wrestlers, MMA guys, fitness models, etc.

A totally dramatic change that I noticed immediately when it happened..I don't subscribe or anything like that, but noticed all the covers were changing to mainstream personalities and then I looked inside and for months now...aside from ads there are no pro bodybuilders to be found"

I haven't looked at FLEX recently but when Jay Cutler and I were training out at Gold's Venice not too long ago he told me that a whole new group of people are running the show and said something like it's all a bunch jerks or something....don't recall exactly but he wasn't pleased with where M&F and FLEX were headed based on who was taking over and making decisions.

Just something interesting that I noticed.