First U.S. marijuana cafe opens in Portland Oregan.

beforewisdom

So when you leave the place get in your car, the police pull you over for driving under the influence of a controlled substance?

Doesn't make no difference whether you're under the influence of alcohol or weed does it? Not fit to drive and a danger to others is just that, no matter what the substance is.

I want to own a vegan food take out next door to this place. I bet such businesses will do almost as well as the cafe.
I want to own a vegan food take out next door to this place. I bet such businesses will do almost as well as the cafe.

Hell yeah! Cake is always a hit when you have the munchies!

So when you leave the place get in your car, the police pull you over for driving under the influence of a controlled substance?

Doesn't make no difference whether you're under the influence of alcohol or weed does it? Not fit to drive and a danger to others is just that, no matter what the substance is.

At the club you can maintain that one drink per hour and stay under the legal limit, but for pot, I do believe it's test positive period.

At the club you can maintain that one drink per hour and stay under the legal limit, but for pot, I do believe it's test positive period.

this was my problem. I took a drug class, however, and found out that it is actually possible to test for THC levels. I assume that the pot at these cafes will contain THC (since some don't)

Fair enough, that's probably where differences in European and US legislation come in (I live in the UK, but grew up in Holland - where people travel to and from a 'coffee shop' by bike! ). What I'm worried about is people driving when they really aren't fit to drive, for whatever reason, and making someone else pay for it.

I used to be a regular user tho "in my days" (says Granny), and sure enough they were happy times Can't stand the stuff anymore tho.

Most states do not have a tolerance level defined by statute, instead simply stating it's illegal to drive while "under the influence of a controlled substance." If a cop pulls you over and suspects you're under the influence of marijuana, he can perform field sobriety tests and arrest you if you fail. They can then perform drug testing at the station and have experts evaluate you.

It's a bit of a mess, since you can challenge pretty much any step of this process in court.

I don't know if it is true, but back in the 90s I read some stuff from some traveling marijuana legalization advocates. Their literature stated that like alcohol, marijuana can impair a person's reflexes, but give repeated exposure and practice of skills a person's reflexes will adapt. This could be bullshit, I have no idea if it is true.

I would think since it is a *medical* marijuana cafe there would be provisions for letting people come and go in peace. Since the folks going there are likely sick from things like cancer they have a friend dropping them off or picking them up. Designated drivers. Public transportation. Bikes. Etc.

I don't know if it is true, but back in the 90s I read some stuff from some traveling marijuana legalization advocates. Their literature stated that like alcohol, marijuana can impair a person's reflexes, but give repeated exposure and practice of skills a person's reflexes will adapt. This could be bullshit, I have no idea if it is true.

I would think since it is a *medical* marijuana cafe there would be provisions for letting people come and go in peace. Since the folks going there are likely sick from things like cancer they have a friend dropping them off or picking them up. Designated drivers. Public transportation. Bikes. Etc.

I have no clue if that is true. I was talking with someone about functioning alcoholics (who are really only able to function if they have had alcohol...) it seems that they can function under the influence of a certain amount that for me would mean death.

by no means do I think they should drive...but, another debate is, if people are against driving under the influence of drugs, what about all of the prescription and over the counter meds that people take? I know for me if I have 2 excedrin I get all heavy feeling and want to pass out.

It does say on most prescription drugs (over here at least) when they will impair your ability to drive or "operate machinery". I'd say that if you are not 100% in control, no matter what the reason is, you should not be driving. If you've drunk alcohol you're not in control, and if you've taken drugs, whether or not they are legal and prescribed by your doctor, that alter your state of mind and/or ability to function, then you just should not be driving, simple as.

Having said all that, I'd love to know who this quote is from, but I do agree that "life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a well preserved, perfect body- rather we should skid in sideways, martini in one hand, chocolate in the other, body thoroughly used up, screaming WOO HOO! What a ride!" - although I would prefer to replace the martini with brand or pear cider and preferably not mix with chocolate

I know for me if I have 2 excedrin I get all heavy feeling and want to pass out.
That shouldn't happen with normal (not PM) excedrin...sounds like a sudden drop in blood pressure, which is an unusual but reported side effect. Normally you'd feel the opposite from the caffeine. Does this happen with aspirin or acetaminophen alone?

It does say on most prescription drugs (over here at least) when they will impair your ability to drive or "operate machinery".
Same here in the US, over the counter medications are still considered "controlled substances" and can only legally be used in accordance with label directions. The OTC labels will warn of sleepiness and not to operate machinery if appropriate.

• 4 weeks later...

If it's for medical uses then....it would seem reasonable. I have heard time and time again that their is no clinical evidence that smoking marijuana is that bad for you. As much as I'd hate to quote Donald Rumsfield, "the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence."

I say this because from what I've seen, those who recreationally smoke marijuana a lot of times do nothing with their lives. I know how contriversal this topic is, but I personally do believe that marijuana is a gateway drug. If you smoke marijuana enough times your body will seek other ways to get high. Then you'll end up trying other drugs that are potentially dangerous such as cocaine, extacy, etc.

The only reason alcohol is legal and marijuana isn't is simply because our bodies, and please correct me if I'm wrong, contain ADH (alcohol dehydrogenase). This is the enzyme that breaks down alcohol. Of course with alcohol you still should watch how my you drink with it, because like caffiene it is a diuretic (which controls the excretion of urination).

Maybe this cafe is actually a great idea because I remember in the article it states, "Our plans go beyond serving food and marijuana," said Martinez. "We hope to have classes, seminars, even a Cannabis Community College, based here to help people learn about growing and other uses for cannabis." My grandfather who has parkinsons disease has actually benefitted from using marijuana, medically of course.

I know for me if I have 2 excedrin I get all heavy feeling and want to pass out.
That shouldn't happen with normal (not PM) excedrin...sounds like a sudden drop in blood pressure, which is an unusual but reported side effect. Normally you'd feel the opposite from the caffeine. Does this happen with aspirin or acetaminophen alone?

Sorry I'm just now reading this! I'm not sure if I've ever taken just aspirin or acetaminophen. It only happens when I take 2, I am fine with just one, but it still makes me feel funny (I can tell I took something kinda feeling) its actually a similar feeling I get if I have say coffee with espresso in it. either way I try to avoid taking excedrin unless the headache is really bad.

I'm sXe myself.

There are different kinds of drinkers and there are different kinds of smokers. Some people handle it well some do not. I don't think the law will change that. People from all walks of life all over our society are already using it Making it legal will only reduce how much we punish ourselves with the crime of an illegal drug trade and the expense of fighting a lost drug war.

• 3 weeks later...

this place is a 10 minute drive from my house. i gotta say the "medical" part is joke in portland. I could go get a medical marijuana card saying i get migraines. its really that easy-it's kinda like ....why bother??? nThen once you have this card, you can appoint a grower and/or dealer. So its kinda like a buy 1 get one free thing. sigh.

I have smoked a ton in my life, but quite frankly, i cant stand the stuff now. I think thats just part of growing up, but thats just me. It never helped me with any pain, or to fall asleep. It gives me anxiety attacks and the works. I am not really a fan of this place, and i think it kind of makes a mockery of people who genuinely need marijuana to cope with intense pain.

my .02

this place is a 10 minute drive from my house. i gotta say the "medical" part is joke in portland. I could go get a medical marijuana card saying i get migraines. its really that easy-it's kinda like ....why bother??? nThen once you have this card, you can appoint a grower and/or dealer. So its kinda like a buy 1 get one free thing. sigh.

I have smoked a ton in my life, but quite frankly, i cant stand the stuff now. I think thats just part of growing up, but thats just me. It never helped me with any pain, or to fall asleep. It gives me anxiety attacks and the works. I am not really a fan of this place, and i think it kind of makes a mockery of people who genuinely need marijuana to cope with intense pain.

my .02

Hey thendanissays,

Let me just say you make an exccellent point. I enjoy hearing this from you because you obviously know what marijuana does first hand. I never tried the stuff and quite honestly never want to try it, especially after reading what you just wrote.

However what I do know from first hand is having anxiety attaches. Since I have Aspergers Syndrome, I deal with high levels of anxiety and depression from time to time. And you know the hard part is that whenever I try to seek not only help, but support, people tell me to "just move on," "just get over it" "just walk away," etc. I've even dealt with people on these forums saying it as well. When someone has clinical anxiety or clinical depression never mind Aspergers Syndrome or Autism, telling someone to "just get over," "stop playing the victim," or anything like that is like telling someone in a wheelchair to walk upstairs. And I know this is coming from someone who has been in a psych hospital, but only a complete heartless psycho would say that kind of garbage.

hey Ryofire.

That is just *my* experience with pot in the fast few years. I do, however, remember a time when it did make me feel very mellow. But at any rate, I dont suggest it as a cure to anxiety, although it may help some.

I, too, suffer from pretty sever anxiety, so i know how you feel. If youre anything like me, you get super anxious and have panic attacks over the stupidest things and then feel like a lunatic becaus eyou know it's something not worth getting upset over. I have been working on this diligently for the past year because thats when i realized just how far gone i was sometimes. So i do have lots of advice on helping/alleviating panic and anxiety if you ever want any support-Im always here for you. shoot me a p.m.! Happy New Year!

hey Ryofire.

That is just *my* experience with pot in the fast few years. I do, however, remember a time when it did make me feel very mellow. But at any rate, I dont suggest it as a cure to anxiety, although it may help some.

I, too, suffer from pretty sever anxiety, so i know how you feel. If youre anything like me, you get super anxious and have panic attacks over the stupidest things and then feel like a lunatic becaus eyou know it's something not worth getting upset over. I have been working on this diligently for the past year because thats when i realized just how far gone i was sometimes. So i do have lots of advice on helping/alleviating panic and anxiety if you ever want any support-Im always here for you. shoot me a p.m.! Happy New Year!

Thanks that really means a lot. However Aspergers is more neurological than it is psychological, and it's the neurological symptoms that will lead to the psychological and mental problems, such as anxiety and depression.

I don't doubt that you know what to do, but please understand ahead of time that having Aspergers Syndrome is a lot different than having clinical anxiety. People with Aspergers Syndrome can also have clinical anxiety and clinical depression, but please understand that they seperate things.