OMG Lost OMG

Fallen_Horse

Yep, finally over. I watched the last episode. What a load of bollocks. I loved season 1 and season 2, and most of season 3. From then onwards, it was a big curly poop. The very nature of seasons 4, 5 and 6 make the earlier seasons meaningless when re-watched. What a waste of time, it could have been so good.

I'm annoyed by the finale. It had so much potential with all the mysteries, but basically saying "those don't matter, it's people's relationship that are important" doesn't cut it.

agreed the island was more important then the people. I was very concerned this would happen when I saw the previous two episodes. Especially the one with the two brothers. Very stale. And to use a judeo christian idea of afterlife was a little cheesy.

Richard you are right. The third season was flowdering because they did not get a commitment from ABC as to how long they were going to be on. Then they found out inbetween the third and fourth season and spent a while trying to bolster the third season with the fourth. It didnt work. They lost alot of viewers.

I was so disappointed by the finale. Many guessed that they were already dead. That this was some kind of alternate reality in one fashion or another. Then to have it confirmed just made it seem like a waste of time watching all the seasons. They could have done the whole thing in a miniseries and been done with it.

They said in the lead up that some questions would remain unanswered , well how about all my questions were un answered. Then how about non of mine or anyone elses mattered any way.

Luckily I used the series as one of my cardio shows so it was not a complete loss.

I disagree. I loved the non-Christian but pro-spiritual aspect of it (yeah it was in a church, but where else would they represent a spiritual transition in America, a mosque??) Lost was always about the people, the island was just the place where the people figured themselves out. Of course one of the timelines had to be nonsense, assuming they wanted to keep the storyline intact.

Overall I give it a 9/10. Sure as hell beats so many other show finales over the years....

I disagree. I loved the non-Christian but pro-spiritual aspect of it (yeah it was in a church, but where else would they represent a spiritual transition in America, a mosque??) Lost was always about the people, the island was just the place where the people figured themselves out. Of course one of the timelines had to be nonsense, assuming they wanted to keep the storyline intact.

Overall I give it a 9/10. Sure as hell beats so many other show finales over the years....

Could have been in a restaurant or anywhere. Could have been in a funeral home, with out the clearly catholic icons. No I watched for the island.

I agree that they left some important questions unanswered.

For example, Hurley was there. Therefore, the Island must have been left either without a guardian, or with a new guardian that isn't even from the cast that we know.

I didn't see the use of the church as promoting a christian overtone or anything. The point was that the "alternate timeline" (aka afterlife?) Jack was trying to track down his father's body to put him to rest. It was a pretty good bit of symbolism for the closure Jack was always chasing - like when he left the island, but became preoccupied with the idea that he had left the island before he was done doing what he was meant to do. So, having seen that real-life Jack finally lived out the destiny he had been chasing (saving the island), there was the parallel of afterlife-Jack finally getting the closure of holding his father's funeral. And everyone was there to attend - which was fitting both because it brought them all together in a sentimental way, and also because, obviously, they were all dead.

Overall, I think it was pretty good.

I agree that they left some important questions unanswered.

For example, Hurley was there. Therefore, the Island must have been left either without a guardian, or with a new guardian that isn't even from the cast that we know.

Actually Hurley and Ben talk outside the church about how they worked well together in guarding the island, which indicates that they had a long life after Jack died and the others escaped. But like Christian said, 'everyone dies sometime', showing that they eventually died as well. The church reunion occurred 'out of time' but for each character, it was after they had died in the 'real' timeline...

Could have been in a restaurant or anywhere. Could have been in a funeral home, with out the clearly catholic icons. No I watched for the island.
FWIW there were quite a few Buddha statues in the church as well. I wasn't looking close enough to notice anything else. I thought that was significant because it showed regardless what these individuals believed in life, they were all together in the afterlife. The non-christians weren't thrown into the fire.

Actually Hurley and Ben talk outside the church about how they worked well together in guarding the island, which indicates that they had a long life after Jack died and the others escaped. But like Christian said, 'everyone dies sometime', showing that they eventually died as well. The church reunion occurred 'out of time' but for each character, it was after they had died in the 'real' timeline...

Exactly my point. Hurley was left as the island's guardian with Ben helping, and the reunion meant they both died at some point. The whole point of the entire show was that the island needed to be protected; knowing that Hurley (at some point thereafter) died, means that the island either has no guardian after his death, or that he found a replacement that we know nothing about.

True, but why does it matter?

It doesnt!!!! That is my point . Nothing mattered . The island didnt matter, atheist dont matter. Nothing mattered. They took something where everything was supposed to have a connection to everything else. Every piece of footage had to be scrutinized for its meaning and then they just wrapped it all up in a bow of simplistic thought. Here is what mattered. The crash, are they dead or alive? Well next the father is out of the coffin. Is he dead or alive? the island the island the island. Oh they are dead. Take those marginally written characters and put them anywhere else and they are boring. The island mattered most. Watch the dvds fast forward through everything except the dialog between the characters. Now dump the dialog and watch the island parts. Which needed which?

IN the end we didnt matter either.

I thought the acting was incredible.

I was happy that Sawyer & Juliet got together. I thought the other pairings came off as contrived.

I thought the producers dropped the ball with the story. The way they (didn't) tie up the loose ends was unimaginative. As a friend of mine wrote, seasons 2,3,4 & 5 became unnecessary. I felt like any imaginative person could have up come up with a better ending.

Even worse, the two producers, while being interviewed during a recap show before the finale, bragged how they thought that everyone would be impressed with the ending.

I will miss this show sooo much! I have to say at first I was upset by the ending, but not now. I watched some interviews with the cast, and if they thought it ended well then who am I to say it didn't. I love the writing, acting, scenery, action, and everything else about Lost. I can't wait to buy the rest of the set. As someone else said in another blog, I think. I will be a Lostie forever!

I thought the acting was incredible.

I was happy that Sawyer & Juliet got together. I thought the other pairings came off as contrived.

I thought the producers dropped the ball with the story. The way they (didn't) tie up the loose ends was unimaginative. As a friend of mine wrote, seasons 2,3,4 & 5 became unnecessary. I felt like any imaginative person could have up come up with a better ending.

Even worse, the two producers, while being interviewed during a recap show before the finale, bragged how they thought that everyone would be impressed with the ending.

Yes yes yes I saw that too. And your friend echos my sentiment and many others I have spoken to. I am not aiming at the actors, just the people incharge of the story. The acting was fine as always. The actors do the best they can with what they are given. I wish them all well. One of my friends bought every available season of Lost. Boy is he pissed now. He used to comb through those things looking for oysters of knowledge about the story now he will use seasons 3, 4 and 5 as coasters for drinks.

I didn't see the use of the church as promoting a christian overtone or anything.

"Church" is a Christian word for a Christian building. Notice that they did not meet in a multidenominational mosque.

What? Mosques are overwhelmingly for Muslims.

It wasn't like they panned past the church's road sign with some whitty "jesus love you don't burn for eternity" ramble. They kept the building pretty damn vague but still inline with what most viewers and the characters would have expected.

Every religion is sort of every other religion. They all share common themes, one being a purpose beyond this life. The 'church' they were at had many other religious symbols (from Judaism, Daoism, Buddhism, Islam, Hinduism, etc). I thought it was about as religiously non-denominational as they could make it.

You sure you just aren't upset at the implication of an afterlife?

Every religion is sort of every other religion. They all share common themes, one being a purpose beyond this life. The 'church' they were at had many other religious symbols (from Judaism, Daoism, Buddhism, Islam, Hinduism, etc). I thought it was about as religiously non-denominational as they could make it.

You sure you just aren't upset at the implication of an afterlife?

It seems like that until you read the texts of those religions.

The building was a church with a prominent Jesus statue and an assortment of smaller logos from other religions.