Serious questions for vegans

kollision

I have some questions for the rest of you, as sometimes I get in a predicament and I do not know what to do.

1. If you are served food with meat in it by accident, do you still eat it (so that they do not go to waste and a meaningless sacrifice) or do you dump it (because you are vegan)? Goes the same with dairy.

2. Do you avoid pizza places or other food establishments when take out because of wasting of the packaging? I always try to recycle the paper aspects of the packaging (ie. Pizza box is cardboard, Asian food is in the paper box, etc.) but sometimes it comes in plastic boxes, and I can't recycle that. Do you also avoid places like that entirely because of the packaging that may be going to waste in the back (such as the individual food packaging when making your food)?

Edited by kollision

I have some questions for the rest of you, as sometimes I get in a predicament and I do not know what to do.

1. If you are served food with meat in it by accident, do you still eat it (so that they do not go to waste and a meaningless sacrifice) or do you dump it (because you are vegan)? Goes the same with dairy.

No I don't eat meat, it's also a serious health issue for me. Seeing my sister in the hospital only emphasises that. I avoid cholestrol like the plague. I would get very sick on dairy almost instantly, I can no longer tolerate it.

2. Do you avoid pizza places or other food establishments when take out because of wasting of the packaging? I always try to recycle the paper aspects of the packaging (ie. Pizza box is cardboard, Asian food is in the paper box, etc.) but sometimes it comes in plastic boxes, and I can't recycle that. Do you also avoid places like that entirely because of the packaging that may be going to waste in the back (such as the individual food packaging when making your food)?

I'm not a big fan of pizza so that doesn't apply. However, I do eat a lot of asian veggie cuisine (my favorite) and haven't really given it much thought until now. Gee thanks.....

Regarding grocery store items, I have been leaning more and more towards raw food intake, so little to no packaging and I like to buy in bulk.

Thanks for the quick response Sea Siren.

No I don't eat meat, it's also a serious health issue for me. Seeing my sister in the hospital only emphasises that. I avoid cholestrol like the plague. I would get very sick on dairy almost instantly, I can no longer tolerate it.

We all don't eat meat, but sometimes when it is presented to us, we don't want to waste them, but at the same time, we don't want to eat it because we are Vegan. I think that as a vegan, we should never waste whenever we don't have to, but it's different when it comes to the meat since they died and were tortured, and that if they just get thrown away, there was even less of a purpose.

Perhaps we can just give it to someone else that eats meat or would that be against our belief?

I'm not a big fan of pizza so that doesn't apply. However, I do eat a lot of asian veggie cuisine (my favorite) and haven't really given it much thought until now. Gee thanks..... Confused

Pizza is generally just in one cardboard box, so it's easy to recycle. Plus, you can put all your other paper and such in there and put it in your recycling can outside. I don't have one of those, so I give it to a friend that does. You are welcomne as well

I know that Raw dieters of all people have to be one of the least wasteful people out there in regards to packaging and such, which is one of the main reasons that I want to go RAW.

I never have an issue with turning down non-veagn food regardless of how or why it's offered. In my opinion the waste has already occured. Also, while I try to decline in as nice a way as possible, I never feel it necessary to give a reason for not accepting.

SeaSiren, how is your sister doing? I'm sorry if I've missed any updates you've posted. I hope she is improving.

one time my boyfriend and i went out to eat and when i got my food it was stuffed full of cheese (it didnt say anything about cheese on the menu, and i didnt think to ask). I didnt want it to go to waste so i tried to pick around it. Just looking at it made me feel sick and was about to cry when we left. I couldnt eat any of it, i took it to go and gave it to my mom (she's not vegan).

1) I wouldn't eat it. Just the thought makes me ill (less so with dairy, eggs, but still...)

2)I don't eat out much at all. And there's no use me ordering a pizza, because the vegan ones around here (by my request) would suck!

I did order vegan pizzas quite often when I lived in Madison, Wisconsin. I must have been the only one to request them without cheese, because when I finally stopped in the place, the woman working there said "I know you! You get the pizza without cheese!"(they offered lots of veggie options, but usually with cheese on).

Thanks everyone for your responses. I never have eaten it, but I feel guilty to just throw it away. You guys made a lot of good points, thanks.

However, if they messed my order up, should I just say they messed it up and if I could keep both meals for free? All they do is throw it in the back that's why.

btw, Vegan pizzas are good. I order them from Papa Johns (since Pizza Hut is a bad baaad company as CompassionateGirl told me), and they use some of the best ingredients ever, all fresh too.

LOL@ the pizza without cheese. I think I might be the only one too as when my mom went to pick it up, they said something similar to her.

I got a special vegan pizza at CiCi's. It was pretty good and much cheaper than what I pay for a similar pizza here in town at another pizza place. I have had cheese on my meals a few times, I just tell them i dont want it, if they throw it away it's their waste (bad for business). From what I hear from some people that work in restraunts, they probably just heat that stuff up and serve it to someone else. I've turned down steamed veggies (they had butter on them) pasta with cheese, all that stuff. I am trying to make it a habit to ask about certain things since I've found if some animal product is in my food by accident and I do eat it I feel pretty sick, I'm much more careful now as my body knows what is good to eat. I still get my fair share of salt, but if having less will help me get lean then I may try to cut back. I've also got a bottle of that arizona tea with ginsing, but it has honey in it. It was bought for me by a friend and they gave it to me as a suprise, I didnt drink any of it but couldnt just decline it so I've kept it for a month in my fridge. I dont know what to do with it. I have been told honey also rots in your stomach, which is just another reason not to consume it. Any ideas? I guess it could make great bug food.

Kol, can you recycle food containers in Cali? That was a big no no in my dorm, and the city does not want that kind of stuff either.

Thanks for your input Brian.

As far as food containers, ya you can. Basically, you have two containers at some residences. One is black (for trash) and the other is blue (for recycling). I just have my friend put it there. I don't have food on it either, I clean it off.

The animal dies, and is then either thrown in the trash, or it is eaten, and then turned into faeces. Either way, doesn't sound like a good use. I won't eat meat if people give it to me, i see it the same as someone offering me a human baby to eat, there's just no way.

I don't eat at restaurants because I don't trust that they are vegan. With regards to packaging, I hadn't really thought much about it, it would be good to support companies that recycle, how do you find out who is most wasteful and who recycles?

1. No I would not eat it as I don't consider flesh food. Yes it's a waste .... of a life.... not food (it's a corpse and most wouldn't eat human corpses, so what's the difference ?). I wouldn't eat eggs because they are part of a chicken's menstrual cycle and milk, which is stolen, is full of fat and blood, so.....ewwww.

2. I generally don't eat pizza as they don't sell cheese-less pizza by the slice and the rest don't want it without cheese.

btw, Vegan pizzas are good. I order them from Papa Johns .

How do you order it? Please post exactly because I would like to copy you, as sometimes I am desparate to order food.

I just tell them no cheese, and add olives, mushrooms, green peppers. Papa John's, Pizza Hut, etc all have made this type of pizza for me with no problem.

btw, Vegan pizzas are good. I order them from Papa Johns .

How do you order it? Please post exactly because I would like to copy you, as sometimes I am desparate to order food.

First I say I want a vegetarian pizza. This way they do not put meat at all. It's more like a confimation thing. Then say, "I want no cheese on it". Then when you get to the toppings, just say, "I want tomato sauce, bell peppers, tomatoes, etc." Also be sure that when you pick it up (or have it delivered), check the food before you leave.

Papa Johns leaves a Garlic Sauce in it, and it is not vegan since it has lactic acid. Make sure to give that back.

Hope that helps 9nines

Thanks.

Two questions:

(1) I assume the crust is vegan? Any confirmation from the company?

Edit: I checked Pizza Hut and its website indicates the crust has milk: http://www.pizzahut.com/menu/allergen.asp

Edit: Papa John's seems vegan: http://www.papajohns.com/menu/faq.htm

(2) Should I expect to pay extra for all the vegetable toppings or do they waive that since no cheese?

Thanks.

Two questions:

(1) I assume the crust is vegan? Any confirmation from the company?

Edit: I checked Pizza Hut and its website indicates the crust has milk: http://www.pizzahut.com/menu/allergen.asp

Edit: Papa John's seems vegan: http://www.papajohns.com/menu/faq.htm

(2) Should I expect to pay extra for all the vegetable toppings or do they waive that since no cheese?

I didn't know that about Pizza Hut, thanks for doing the research.

Yeah you usually have to pay for all the toppings at the chains. Some mom and pop places will give you the veggies for free instead of cheese

Yeah cici's was very particular with the veggies, and how many I could have. Other places give me more for not ordering cheese. Cici's crust is vegan, at least where I ordered the pizza. You can just ask about the crust, the manager probably knows every ingredient.

Papa Johns is vegan thank goodness. I was eating Pizza Hut before thinking I was eating vegan pizza, what a shame.

BTW, also make sure you get the original pizza or their special deep dish. I believe the rest of the pizza doughs has dairy.

Over here there is a special for 13 dollars for a large pizza with 5 toppings.