Ultimate Fighting

i'm sure you all have heard. next week, to try to sway viewers away from the Afflicition PPV, UFC has put together a free fight night on Spike TV. it's Anderson Silva's first fight at light heavyweight division.

Anderson Silva Vs. James Irvin

Brandon Vera Vs. Reese Andy

Hermes Franca Vs. Frank Edgar

full fight card

click here to see the trailer

so which will you watch? the Affliction pay per view or free Ultimate Fight Night. as for me, with the help of some friends, we plan to watch the Affliction event, while we DVR the UFC fight night so we can watch it afterwards.

free fights then try to internet the clips from Affliction a day later.

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RAMPAGE JACKSON ARRESTED!

"Quinton “Rampage” Jackson was arrested Tuesday afternoon at about 1:30 p.m. Pacific Time in Newport Beach, Calif. on suspicion of felony evading, hit-and-run and reckless driving. ...Jackson is also under suspicion from the California Highway Patrol of being involved in two other separate collisions that occurred earlier on the 55 freeway."

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/stadium.weblogsinc.com/tmz/images/2008/07/_0002_Layer-1-copy-7_full.jpg

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/stadium.weblogsinc.com/tmz/images/2008/07/0715_rampage_03_full.jpg

here is a video of the arrest

i wonder what the consequences will be for his actions. aside from having to go to court, dana white kicked jesse taylor out of the UFC for drunken behaviour. what do you think he'll do to Rampage.

more bad news...

RAMPAGE JACKSON DETAINED

“We did go out to the residence where he was staying at 4:31 p.m. PT (on Wednesday in the city of Irvine, Calif.). We were asked to assist with him and make sure that he was safe and not a danger to himself or others,” said Lt. Rick Handfield of the Irvine Police Department. “He was exhibiting some unusual behavior that his friends that were there felt concerned.” Details of Jackson’s exact behavior were not forthcoming.

“At the conclusion of our contact, we did detain him and take him to be seen by mental health professionals,” continued Lt. Handfield. He was not released back to Irvine police. “We left him with the mental health professionals.”

looks like he won't be getting that rematch anytime soon. sounds like he's having a full fledged mental breakdown!

i liked Affliction Banned much better overall. but this UFC Fight Night did have it's great moments. Cain Velasquez puts Jake O'Brein in that crucifix. and the highlight KO that Rory Markham pulled off against Brody Farber (video). but of course the best was Anderson Silva impressing everyone again with his 205 debut. i couldn't believe how easy it was for him to put out James Irvin. did you see that cut Irvin had under his eye? again Silva shows how great a fighter he is, and cannot wait to see him again in action.

by the way,

UFC 87

Aug 9, 2008

George St. Pierre vs John Fitch

Kenny Florian vs Roger Huerta

Brock Lesnar vs Heath Herring

• 1 month later...

just heard this news, and it is way ahead of time, but still exciting if you follow MMA at all.

UFC 93: BJ PENN VS GSP

"DANA WHITE has revealed Georges St Pierre will face BJ Penn at UFC 93 on January 31

St Pierre and Penn have met inside the Octagon once before - at UFC 58 - where the Hawiian lost on a split decision.

If Penn beats St Pierre, he will be the first man in UFC history to hold belts in two different weight classes at the same time."

that first fight was very close. and as is with all close fights, ended in a controversial decision. this rematch is going to be epic!

honestly, when i saw that first fight, i thought BJ Penn got the better of GSP. it was close enough where i didn't really argue the decision, but i thought BJ Penn won that fight (then again i thought Rampage won his fight against Griffin). if this fight happened right after the last fight, i would give the edge to Penn. that was the worst beating i have ever seen GSP take. just look at his face and

. and while GSP was in the hospital, BJ Penn was at the after party.

having said that, the way GSP has evolved since then is amazing. he is such a complete fighter, and he will give Penn much more difficulty this time around. Penn has evolved to, but i just don't know if it's enough to beat GSP this time around. Penn may have bit off more than he could chew. still... he may have GSP seeing double again.

Looking forward to seeing how Brock Lesnar fares against Randy Couture.

wow that one came out of left field, but I like it. that would be a great last two matches for randy. I think that lesnar is coming into his own now, though I dont think he will find Randy very easy. I hope

just hear about this news, and personally, i think it sucks!

Antonio Noguiera should be the proper opponent for Randy's return to the octagon. he won the Interim Heavyweight title, it only makes sense when the champ returns to have a fight for the undisputed title.

yes, Brock has talent. but i don't see why he gets to jump ahead of everyone in the top 10 to fight Randy Couture. Brock's record is 2-1, his first fight was a year and a half ago. he is being placed ahead of people who have been fighting since the late 90's, with at least 15 professional fight on their records, not to mention their amateur careers. Brock had no amateur career in MMA. his first fight, he was in the main event (on a fight card featuring Royce Gracie and Kazushi Sakuraba no less).

regardless if whether Brock has the talent to beat Randy, he should not be given this privilege yet. let him work his way up like every other fighter. he should not be fighting anyone in the top 10 right now. let him fight Eddie Sanchez, Brandon Vera, Cane Velasquez, Jake O' Brien or Cheick Kongo. Kongo has 27 fights on his record! Brock is jumping ahead of him?! let him fight someone Randy has already defeated, Gabriel Gonzaga. why is Brock getting a chance to face Randy for the title before Fabricio Werdum (ranked #8) and Frank Mir (the former champion)?

i can't believe that anyone would have the balls to explain this to Antonio Rodrigo Noguiera, a man who has 36 professional fights(!), is the #2 ranked fighter (behind Fedor), is the only man who has heavyweight belts in Pride and UFC, and the current UFC Interim Heavyweight Champion. Noguiera has been vocal about how he would consider it an honor to fight Randy Couture. after he won the interim belt, Nogueira ended his post fight interview, "Please Randy, come fight me". and now Randy's back, and you are gonna look Noguiera in the eyes, and tell him he has to wait, because 2-1 Brock Lesnar is getting a fight with Randy first. it's a travesty.

...sorry about that, end of rant.

It is unfair I just meant I want to see the fight,.

Came across this , has some good background info that I was not aware of.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/ufc-will-wait-for-fedor-14267

oh dude, please don't think that whole big rant was directed at you. it was not at all. i was just sort of thinking out loud. i was just upset on how unfair that is to all the other fighters who have been working their way up for years to get a chance at title shot, only to be surpassed by an amateur, who only got the shot because he is famous. i had to let it out somewhere. but it was in no way directed at you.

Will these guys suffer brain damage after their careers like some boxers.

Is it more likely that they will, or less likely?

What is the overall trend?

I am interested because it strikes me that all those fights (36 fights you said for one guy?) must take a toll on the body/head, with all those impacts.

It is unfair I just meant I want to see the fight,.

Came across this , has some good background info that I was not aware of.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/ufc-will-wait-for-fedor-14267

oh dude, please don't think that whole big rant was directed at you. it was not at all. i was just sort of thinking out loud. i was just upset on how unfair that is to all the other fighters who have been working their way up for years to get a chance at title shot, only to be surpassed by an amateur, who only got the shot because he is famous. i had to let it out somewhere. but it was in no way directed at you.

no ronnie I never thought that , I was agreeing with you. I forgot to put a comma in I guess. But thankyou for being a gentleman about it.

I didnt even know that the IFL had closed its doors. And what about dana saying the amounts of money that the other organizations are losing. WOW

I watched the fight between sylvia and couture last night on spike. then I watched the fight online between sylvia and fedor. I wonder how much of fedor prep was based on coutures dismantling of sylvia.

How about that brand new 3 year contract between couture and UFC . How about the promise to do what they can to get fedor in . nice.

what did you think about dana phone conference on sherdog. About the mini grand prix

yeah the Randy vs Brock fight is completely motivated by money, not about what's fair or right, not about who deserves or has earned it. only what will make the most money. and dana know anytime he puts Brock in a PPV, all the casual WWE fans go crazy and the numbers go thru the roof. now if Brock can win and be the new champ, he has an even bigger cash cow. also means he won't have to try as hard to get Fedor in the UFC, because if Randy loses, he feels the Fedor vs Randy fight will be irrelevant.

well in happier news, it's on! i'm ready to check out this PPV. one disappointing thing, the Karo Parysian vs. Zenko Yoshida fight is off [Source]. seems Karo had a last minute back injury. but aside from that, everyone's made weight and ready to go.

LET'S GET IT ON!

http://photos.mmaweekly.com/gallery/Ultimate%20Fighting%20Championship%20-%20UFC/UFC_88/weigh-ins/27_LiddellEvansUFC88Weigh.jpg

Edited by ronnie kray

Will these guys suffer brain damage after their careers like some boxers.

Is it more likely that they will, or less likely?

What is the overall trend?

I am interested because it strikes me that all those fights (36 fights you said for one guy?) must take a toll on the body/head, with all those impacts.

MMA looks much more savage to the untrained eye, but is actually much safer than boxing. and boxing has a long list of deaths, where as MMA has none. it does take a toll on the body, but not as much as boxing. the reason is that in boxing you have repeated blows to the head for 12 rds, where as in MMA there a lot of other strikes to use too disable an opponent. also in MMA, once a fighter is knocked out, he is not stood up and given and 8 count to recover and receive more blows to the head, the fight is over. and of course, the majority of fights go to the ground and can end in submission, with no real harm done at all. using Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, i have seen fighters win without throwing a single punch, and no real damage to them or their opponent. while a fighter lying unconscious from a rear naked choke hold looks horrifying, it actually has no long terms effects.

"The perceived brutality of the "no holds barred" fighting seems wholly uncivilized to a boxing purist when in reality UFC and MMA in general has fewer serious injuries than boxing. It seems one slamming concussive punch that draws blood or knocks out teeth is actually better for you than repeated concussive blows to the head (especially in later rounds when you are dehydrated). UFC has yet to count a fatality while boxing adds a few to the list every year."

of Rich Franklin discussing this with Bill O'Reilly.

OMG! chuck liddell has never been knocked out like that! out cold and unconscious.

something kept telling me that rashad could pull off a win, but i just couldn't call it. but, wow, that was just devasting. an upset for sure. now i know if chuck won this fight he was gonna get a shot at the title against forrest griffin. so now that Rashad won, will he be given the title shot? seems fair, that's how forrest got his shot at the title too, upsetting the guy who was supposed to get the title shot.

i was a little disappointed that Kampmann lost. he was doing really well, he was on a roll his last few fights. i was rooting for him to make a comeback after his injury. but nate stopped that comeback. i think nate is going to expect a rematch against anderson silva now.