Questioning VBB, and the answer(s)!

So I was at the gym in my veganbodybuilding tshirt, and one of the fitness trainers started asking me about it. They asked if I was vegan, and then asked me about my diet, specifically protein, and they said they'd never thought about veganism + bodybuilding. The thing is, that no matter how friendly they are about it, generally they are not interested in what's going on, they basically just don't believe you can get anywhere on a vegan diet and think it's ridiculous, and they find it fascinating how anyone could be so stupid etc and they want to poke holes in what we do, and tell you that you'll never get anywhere. Anyway, I am not in like amazing bodybuilder shape or anything, so I thought how awesome would it be to just carry around like a handful of postcards with people like Alex and Ryan and Rob on them, to just pull out and go 'SEE?' to prove that veganism doesn't prevent you from having a great physique, and then they won't possibly have any questions because they know that they can't argue with the results.

and then they won't possibly have any questions because they know that they can't argue with the results.

I think that I sense sarcasm.

They would argue that there is no way that those guys are vegan.

Even if they don't argue, the meatheads would say "just think how much bigger/better he would be if he ate meat"

and then they won't possibly have any questions because they know that they can't argue with the results.

I think that I sense sarcasm.

They would argue that there is no way that those guys are vegan.

Even if they don't argue, the meatheads would say "just think how much bigger/better he would be if he ate meat"

Nah I wasn't being sarcastic. I gave the woman at the gym the address for veganbodybuilding.com. The cards could have the web address on them, or like some facts about the person, like where they are from, their name website etc, so they could go check it out online and see more info

I also think it's a good idea.

But like you said, most will think it's ridiculous and stupid.

Just leave those people be. Don't waste time on them.

Did the woman at the gym seem interested?

Even if you only help one person, that's a good day's work.

Nobody can dismiss the accomplishments of Alex, Robert, Ryan and others here.

Didn't Alex recently win a championship of some kind?

I also think it's a good idea.

But like you said, most will think it's ridiculous and stupid.

Just leave those people be. Don't waste time on them.

Did the woman at the gym seem interested?

Even if you only help one person, that's a good day's work.

Nobody can dismiss the accomplishments of Alex, Robert, Ryan and others here.

Didn't Alex recently win a championship of some kind?

Wordlife son, i think he did, lots of peep's achievements might make people think a little more, in the fitness world. If I say 'well go to veganbodybuilding.com' they might just go 'yeah yeah' and not look, whereas if I have the cards, they will have to acknowledge it a little there and then and it is more likely to get the gears working upstairs.

The woman at the gym did seem interested, and she might have genuinely wanted to know about veganism rather than just trying to make me seem stupid. Maybe she will talk to me about it again later. When I said things like "Well you never know who is vegan or vegetarian, it isn't usually the kind of thing people announced, and you'd have no way of telling that in a gym' and she said 'yeah, you wouldn't notice a difference in performance', which showed she didn't see it as a training hurdle. She seemed genuinely interested to hear how you would get protein for weight-training on a vegan diet. Hopefully she vizited (visited) the site

I think it's a good idea. I'm also going to get Ryan Wilson featured on the main site. He is HUGE and people need to see that.

I'll see Big Ryan in a few weeks and we'll hopefully do a photo shoot to get him up there.

Yes, Alex won a bodybuilding world championship, I won a bodybuilding contest last year and was runner-up at the natural world championships in my class.

A number of us have had nice levels of success and we have some great photos that show vegans can gain muscle. We also have good stories of us starting out at 120 pounds and gaining 70 pounds of muscle, and stuff like that.

I'm short on time, but I thank you guys for promoting Vegan Bodybuilding in your areas.

Big Rob Dogg

The people I meet at the gym are usually more understanding about the health issues than non-gymmers. They ususally know that more fruit and veggies probably is a good thing.

On the other hand, why deny it? A combination of steroids, whey, casein and (possibly) meat in large doses is the optimum for building large muscle fast.

Milk makes things grow. Hell, it's purpose is to make a cow grow 100kgs in a year. It will also make cancer grow, screw up your immune system and probably shorten your life by speeding your metabolism. But it helps you build muscle fast. You'd be surprised to know what kind of shit peolple will put in their bodies to be muscular and fit. Doctors can fix the other problems as they come along. Case and point: Atkins.

I also get these BS questions "how do you get your energy/protein?" even though I'm usually the biggest guy in the room (197cm, 100kg, muscular). A guy on the officating team today told me I gained muscle so he asked me how and I said "I stopped taking protein powder and now eat more fruit and veggies raw.".

I never defend myself. I have no regrets. After losing 50kg I have a new life and now I'm testing around with more raw to see if there is a limit to how awesome things can be. Why wouldn't I like to be me? Why wouldn't anyone like to be me? It's awesome to be me!

• 3 weeks later...

The issues I've had are with guys that think bodybuilding only means "huge" guys.

In those cases I have to refer them to the vegetarian bodybuilders, such as:

-Andreas Cahling

-Al Beckles

I don't know of any *big* vegan bodybuilders.... are there any?

I know of one guy who is a bodybuilder and vegan and who has a really good phsyique. He competes in natural federations too.

I will try find his email address and ask him to come over and say hi on this forum.

Competing in a bodybuilding show is something that I would like to work towards in the future, just to see what changes I can make to my body.

I am seriously considering getting some of these cards made up! I've been thinking about it, and it would not only shut up fitness people, but also just idiots in general who react to veganism with 'Duhhh protein you must be ill you must be really white and skinny and ill even though I can see you and you aren't but you couldn't get strong you must be weak go on lift that see if you can lift it i bet you can't lift it see you can't lift it what do you mean i can't lift it either that's not the point duh vegans are weak'. I could pull out the vegan bodybuilding card with the photo(s) on it, and say 'well these guys are vegan and you're a dickhead'. Prollem Solved! I know a UK website that can print out 100 custom postcards for about £15 so I might do it.

I could put text on them saying "Vegan and Strong" or something simple and non-offensive, that will stick in people's heads. And the website address.

Its always good to just remind people about athletes like Carl Lewis, Edwin Moses...and lets not forget Martina Navritalova...none of which lifted for size but are all some of the best athletes who have ever lived...the only reason why none of them were huge is that they trained so hard for strength and speed...otherwise they could all be natural bodybuilders

Its always good to just remind people about athletes like Carl Lewis, Edwin Moses...and lets not forget Martina Navritalova...none of which lifted for size but are all some of the best athletes who have ever lived...the only reason why none of them were huge is that they trained so hard for strength and speed...otherwise they could all be natural bodybuilders

We're all of those people Vegans? I thought they were vegetarians but I am pretty ignorant. Otherwise a pretty successful bodybuilder of the past that was a vegetarian was Bill Pearl, just as another name to toss out there.

If you make a trading card of Ryan I want one. I think you need to have a recognizable object in the photo with him so his size is readily apparent.

Regards,

Sensless

Oh...as for the vegans...Carl Lewis was vegan(I think he's one of those pesco fools now) for his last two olympics...Edwin Moses was always vegan...and I know Martina has been for a long time