idiotic vegetarian reference in Wired news

joelbct

I think this article was supposed to be funny, but it comes off as mere ignorance. I for one hate those fake meat products. Why would I want my pure, clean plant-based food to taste like a rotting corpse? You can post a comment on the article-

http://www.wired.com/news/columns/0,71775-0.html?tw=wn_index_4

"Beef-flavored soybeans

Judging from the 400 varieties of non-meat meatlike items in your average California supermarket, the one thing vegetarians want most is the great taste of flesh. If we could just go ahead and make a soybean that tastes like top sirloin right off the vine or branch or whatever soybeans grow on, then we could cut out any number of middlepersons. Or, alternatively, couldn't we genetically modify cows just enough so they're technically plant life? Like, get some xylem and phloem in there. Maybe some chlorophyll, just enough so that they taste the same but they move over to the "vegetable" column. That would be a crime against nature that would make everyone happy!?"

I can't say that I disagree with his perception: there are an aweful lot of meat analogs out there these days (when I first when veg, I avoided them like the plague, because they reminded me too much of meat, though I started eating some later because they are convenient, still avoiding those that taste too reminiscent of actual dead things).

And I've seen much more idiotic things said about veg*ns, including almost every portrayal of them in the media!

What it doesn't take into acount is that these 'beef-flavor plant products' might actually be enjoyed more by meat eaters who can't give up their taste for the dead stuff.

What it doesn't take into acount is that these 'beef-flavor plant products' might actually be enjoyed more by meat eaters who can't give up their taste for the dead stuff.

Yes - this is it exactly. Maybe gearing meat flavored plant products towards meat eaters would reduce the number of people eating dead animals. Not only would they get the taste they want, they would also be improving their health (not to mention improving countless animals' health and wellbeing).

Yes - this is it exactly. Maybe gearing meat flavored plant products towards meat eaters would reduce the number of people eating dead animals. Not only would they get the taste they want, they would also be improving their health (not to mention improving countless animals' health and wellbeing).

+1 (I agree). They can have their meat flavor without the poison, and spare some animals in the process. And the article is annoying and unfortunately stereotypical.

I personally don't like meat analogs except for veggie burgers. But I've been eating them for so long that it doesn't even register to me that they are meat analogs. They're their own thing at this point.

Tempeh bacon is awesome too, but it's nothing like bacon - it's just marinated strips of tempeh that happen to somewhat resemble bacon (but without the shrinkage and greasy fat). But I don't eat it because it looks/tastes like bacon - I eat it because it tastes like marinated tempeh, which I LOVE.

Some good points here... I do know non-vegetarians who eat veggie burgers for their health, etc.

And I do actually like some veggie-"burgers" a lot, though they certainly aren't "beef flavored" and really taste nothing like meat... And I do remember having soy bacon that was pretty good too.... oh well!

I personally have no craving for even meat analogs, though it seems like calling something it's own entity is a better idea. I personally think people would be more open to eating a patty made from lentils or blackbeans and not expecting beef if the word beef wasn't on the package or in the name.

I consider the article to be mindless drivel.

On the subject of eating burgers and sausages made out of plants, someone mentioned this in a myspace topic recently, and my response there is also relevant here. So, here is what i had said -

Theyd started by saying

I've been vegan for many years, and at this point, the more convincing "meat alternatives" (mostly TVP) are also starting to gross me out. In a way, I've always thought that things like "veggie burgers" were a bit hypocritical or at least contradictory?

So i just asked -

What is hypocritical, or contradictory, about eating food which is made out of plants ?

He clarified by saying -

Maybe I don't mean hypocritical...Its just that lately I've felt a weird discrepancy between not wanting meat and wanting something that looks & tastes just like it...?

I consumed a typical diet until I was 18 and so at that time I was pretty well conditioned to the taste of meat. Ten years later I suppose I just may be "over it".

To which i posted again, saying -

But veggie burgers and veggie sausages don't look anything like flesh.....

and neither do burgers or sausages made out of dead bodies.

I would find it freaky if companies started crafting vegetables to look like raw crudely hacked-off bits of cadaver...... but then , ironically most flesh eaters would find the idea of eating raw crudely hacked-off bits of cadaver to be ing also.... most seem to much prefer their bits of dead body to be pre farted about with, made into unrecognisable round or cylinder shapes , or want it mushed up before they ever get it.

Many even get the nurds over things, like having to take the guts out of a dead birds by shoving their hand up its arse to get them out, before cooking and eating it.... which is a perfectly normal, reasonable thing to be freaked out by since humans are naturally herbivorous, but for goodness sakes, they buy the bird already dead, already cleaned, etc etc..... and make noises just over doing a tiny bit of preparation like that..... then try to behave like it;s perfectly normal to be eating the dead body.

Some of them even get all whiney if the guts are already removed, PUT IN A BAG, then placed back inside the bird mechanically.

So all they have to do is insert their hand into the cadaver and take out the bag of guts, and they still feel all nurded out by it.

For comparison, I never feel ed by preparing vegetables, grains and fruit....

It is much more the case that the flesh eaters want their cadaver Not to look like cadaver, than that veg*ns want to eat stuff that does look like chunks of dead body.

This is why there are scant few veg*n products which look remotely like bits of cadaver.

I wouldn;t know whether or not they taste like flesh. Some flesh eaters say they do, and some say they don't.

If someone came up and said "I have eaten dog turds and that burger tastes just like them", and i liked the taste of the burger, i would have a similar "So what ? Your point is ...?" sort of approach to their assertions.

They could taste exactly like plump little moist human children for all it matters to me , since what is relevant to me is that they taste like a delicious blend of vegetables and grains. Nothing more, and nothing less.

it's like that !

mmmmm.....

plump moist little children.....

I personally think people would be more open to eating a patty made from lentils or blackbeans and not expecting beef if the word beef wasn't on the package or in the name.

Black bean burgers are a great example of what I mean - they are nothing like meat burgers, except for the shape. Taste-wise, they are, IMO, far superior to meat-analog type veggie burgers.

I'm getting hungry.

I personally think people would be more open to eating a patty made from lentils or blackbeans and not expecting beef if the word beef wasn't on the package or in the name.

Black bean burgers are a great example of what I mean - they are nothing like meat burgers, except for the shape. Taste-wise, they are, IMO, far superior to meat-analog type veggie burgers.

I'm getting hungry.

Exactly, it shouldn't be a "meat-analog", it should just be something you put on bread to make a sandwich.

Exactly, it shouldn't be a "meat-analog", it should just be something you put on bread to make a sandwich.

BTW, what's the story with your avatar pic? I've been trying to figure it out and can't.

And I was just thinking to myself on the way to work "Wow, I've had that picture up for a week and nobody's questioned what the hell it is I'm holding."

It's a controller for a Japanese only video game called "Pop 'N Music". I have the game for Playstation 2, and I bought a controller from a person who makes them specially. It's a 9 button game that looks like a music-oriented "Whack-a-mole". I put a video of me playing a simple song (short clip, kind of dark too) on putfile:

http://media.putfile.com/Pop-N-sample

I just hug the controller because the game is so addicting and because I'm out of my mind.

And I was just thinking to myself on the way to work "Wow, I've had that picture up for a week and nobody's questioned what the hell it is I'm holding."

It's a controller for a Japanese only video game called "Pop 'N Music". I have the game for Playstation 2, and I bought a controller from a person who makes them specially. It's a 9 button game that looks like a music-oriented "Whack-a-mole". I put a video of me playing a simple song (short clip, kind of dark too) on putfile:

I just hug the controller because the game is so addicting and because I'm out of my mind.

Ha ha - for the first few seconds I was like "that seems pretty easy", but it gets quick pretty fast LOL (faster than putfile can handle). It kinda reminds me of that dancing game, but with hands.

Thanks for clearing up the mystery.

Ha ha - for the first few seconds I was like "that seems pretty easy", but it gets quick pretty fast LOL (faster than putfile can handle). It kinda reminds me of that dancing game, but with hands.

Thanks for clearing up the mystery.

Most of the other ones I have of me are over 25, but my arms are on fire in them.