Buddhism

JW

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was given the book, "Siddhartha" by Herman Hesse when I was 19. The story excited every cell in my body, it rang very true with my spirit.

Many many years passed before I met a Monk from Taos. I tried to sit and meditate silently over 2 days time, and when at last it came time to go into a room and privately ask this man about the Dharma, I instead asked him how he had become a Monk.

I was so moved by his story........he had been a portrait painter in Europe, had hung out in San Francisco with Jack Kerouac and his gang, drank heavily, but had a feeling of being lost. One night, for a laugh, the gang went to a Buddhist gathering. Stanley White never left! He studied and became a Monk. I was moved by his story.

Over time and many difficult personal trials, I read more and more about Buddhism, realizing that it is and is not a "religion". There are many sects , many groups with differing ways of practice, but always it is based on the teachings of Siddhartha, the one called Buddha. I have read the words of Thich Nhat Hanh, and have sat with him and listened to him talk of the practice, of peace and mindfulness. I have sat and listened to the Dalai Lama speak also when he visited Portland. I have visited monasteries in Thailand, Laos and Tibet. Continuing to practice and intuitively feel my way along the path.

There is a small group, or Sangha, that meets here once a week. We sit silently for 2 sets of 25 minutes, with a 10 minute walking meditation in between. Each of us has a slightly different practice, but we all sit together meditating, praying, for peace.

One day I wish to join a monastery, and I trust that in time it will be revealed to me. I "know" this will be so.

Veganism is part of my path also. I also "know" that it is the right way to peace and also to health.

I hope to read other entries by members of this community that are interested in the practice of Buddhism or are practicing Buddhists.

Thank you, JW, for starting this thread.

Tashi Delek,

Jonzen

Andgbr, you might simply enjoy a personal journey by Googling the word Buddhism. Finding your way is part of the journey. I personally found an immediate affinity to the words of Thich Nhat Hanh, the Vietnamese Buddhist Monk. He is prolific in his writings, and also there are many recordings of his dharma talks available. Perhaps you could begin by exploring this?

I have a website address for Plum Village, which is Thich Nhat Hanh's Monastery in France. It might have leads to books, etc., that you could then find in libraries or in used book stores and the like.

I wish you well on your journey.

If you have questions, I will be pleased to attempt to answer them.

Namaste,

Jonzen

http://www.plumvillage.org

I'm interested in Buddhism and in some ways I guess I am buddhist but you never really are unless you call yourself that. My big qualm is that I don't believe in reincarnation...although I know buddhists who also don't...for me its not quite buddhism if you don't

one thing i've heard about buddhism ( i hope it's not true ), is that when you act immaturely and do bad things, you might reincarnate in the body of a non-human animal..

and the idea that it gives is that animal is not fully respected or believed to be as important as humans in buddhism?

i need someone to explain this to me, whether this is true about buddhism or not, or if i'm making the wrong conclusions, just tell me what you think.

I went to a service at Buddhist temple in Eugene a few weeks ago- I really liked the chanting and meditation, but then there was a 45 min sermon that killed the buzz- I was hoping for a real Lama or something, and the guy was cool, but a Westerner, and he didn't quite do it for me. I don't do well with dogma in general I suppose... But I love the Dalai Lama tapes I've downloaded, that guy is awesome, really touches your heart. Feels like you've known him your whole life-

-Joel

I am interested Buddhism. I have read a few books and internet resources on it, and continue to try to learn more about it. I am interested in the practical aspects (ethics, mindfulness, meditation) rather than the mystical, but I think there is plenty within Buddhism for naturalistic-minded people like me.

one thing i've heard about buddhism ( i hope it's not true ), is that when you act immaturely and do bad things, you might reincarnate in the body of a non-human animal..

I don't know very much about Buddhist cosmology because it's one of the mystical areas I'm not interested in. But the animal realm is one of the realms into which one can be reincarnated. I do not know whether or not it is considered to be lesser than the human realm. I can say that Buddhism respects animal life more than most other religions out there (Jainism is one that probably is more explicit in that area). The first precept of Buddhism (refraining from destroying living creatures) is interpreted as many as leading any practitioner to vegetarianism (and I would argue veganism). Some disagree, but I personally can't see any other interpretation.

For a starting point that has some summaries of the basics and a variety of schools, check out Buddha.net.

There are many sects and many differing beliefs. I do not belong to any one group. I like to remain free, and many others do the same. Reincarnation? Again, it is different with every sect or group. I do not believe in specific things....."if you do X you will be Z", but I do sense that living mindfully and lovingly begets more of the same energy. The same can go opposite, hatred and "flaming" words beget more of that as well. It seems that goodness, the energy of it, has a certain quality that might continue on, and which might be a gentle influence on life.

I encourage you to listen to the words of Thich Nhat Hanh and then ask questions. Read read read. You will know what is right for you.

I do not think of Buddhism as a religion. It is a practice.

I do not pray to the Buddha. I think of what he achieved as a human and honor him for what he learned and taught. He taught that human reason and practical common sense were a higher authority than any scripture or tradition. Buddhism is a system of education, a process of discovery that leads out of the habitual world of ignorance, unconsciousness, and suffering. It is a critique of belief systems rather than a pattern of beliefs.

Some Buddhists chant a great deal. I do not. Once in awhile I will sit with others, and at the end of a meditation we will say OM together. I have chanted with Tibetans and felt the warmth and goodness of the vibrations all through my body and spirit.

I honor all beliefs. Everyone has a right, a freedom, to choose what is right for them.

One of the most complicated of all sects are the Tibetan Buddhists. Fascinating, the mix of the teachings of Buddha from India and the Tribal beliefs of the high plateaus of Tibet. Tibetan Buddhism is astounding. Robert Thurman has written a good book on the subject, "Essential Tibetan Buddhism". And a simpler one, "Inside Tibetan Buddism".

Another great book is, "Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism" by Chogyam Trungpa.

All of this may seem overwhelming at first. The process has taken years for me. The path continues always.

I am interested Buddhism. I have read a few books and internet resources on it, and continue to try to learn more about it. I am interested in the practical aspects (ethics, mindfulness, meditation) rather than the mystical, but I think there is plenty within Buddhism for naturalistic-minded people like me.

That's exactly like me.

I don't know much about it, but I never really heard of Buddhists causing anyone any trouble, and from what I've heard, the way a Buddhist leads their life is theoretically pretty peaceful. I don't understand why people believe in supernatural things though. I find that I aim to be an ethical, generous and helpful person, without the need for an instruction manual, and the other aspects of belief systems or religions like prayer and ceremony aren't part of actually being ethical, they're just part of the 'rules' or whatever, but don't have an end in themselves (I don't know any specifics within Buddhism, but other examples are things like dresscode, prayer, daily schedule...). The other supernatural beliefs in things like afterlife, karma etc, haven't been proven to me to any real extent, and so don't seem logical to include in philosophy and how you lead your life.

I'd enjoy it if all the logical, reasonable, ethical philosophies from all religious texts were combined. That'd make a good book, and might even have some good ideas in it.

EDIT: Ha! I've just been reading up on Buddhism a bit.

Śīla (Virtuous Behaviour)

1. To refrain from taking life. (i.e. non-violence towards sentient life forms)

2. To refrain from taking that which is not given (i.e. not committing theft).

3. To refrain from sensual misconduct (abstinence from immoral sexual behaviour).

4. To refrain from lying. (i.e. speaking truth always)

5. To refrain from intoxicants which lead to loss of mindfulness.

6. To refrain from eating at the wrong time (only eat from sunrise to noon).

7. To refrain from dancing, using jewellery, going to shows, etc.

8. To refrain from using a high, luxurious bed.

A lot of that seems very reasonable, a lot of it seems very unreasonable. However, I found it amusing how much it seems like it's just talking about me personally, especially 4,5,7. It just so happens that I hate shows, dancing and jewellery. I wouldn't say those things should be banned though, just that I don't like em. But it's funny how Buddhist you can be without even knowing it. Don't understand 8 - why specifically beds? And how is it virtuous to do that? 3 seems open to lots of interpretation. I mean, what I'd say is immoral / unethical sexual behaviour would be things like rape, so I'd agree with that. Somehow I don't think that's what is meant, and I imagine that I disagree with this. Don't understand 6 - yes it might be a good way to eat, but why is it virtuous? If I eat at 11am and 5pm, who has it harmed?

Yeah, the first 5 precepts are the ones generally taken on by lay Buddhists. 6-8 are often added for attendees at retreats and I think are also practiced by people who are preparing to become monks or nuns. There are additional precepts for actual monks and nuns.

Richard, as might be expected, there are differing opinions about number 3. Some interpret it to mean not engaging in sexual activity with someone who does not or cannot consent to it (e.g., rape, sex with minors) or when you or the other(s) are already in a relationship. Some might also say that this precept additionally suggests that sex should be only within a loving relationship. Others will include other specific sexual activities (e.g., oral or anal sex) as being violations of the third precept. Then there are others who just say that sexual activity should be in line with other precepts and Buddhist practice (e.g., honest, not based on craving and desire, not harmful, etc.)

Btw, I am trying to be careful with my wording, because the precepts are not like commandments--things that thou shalt not do. They are ideals to be practiced and worked towards.

I sleep on a high bed and still consider myself to be studying the Buddhist path.

I think one can make it as simple or as complex as one wishes. It depends on if you wish to join a Sangha and practice a certain way, or follow the basic precepts on you own.

Yes, Richard, I think it is true, that many vegans, perhaps without realizing it, are already on the path of Buddhist teachings.

It is a good fit.

Meditation is good, especially in this time.

In think the idea of being seen as being lesser is done by non buddhists(in theory) since buddhists are supposed to respect all life due to the fact they an animal you may eat could possibly be a relative of the past. Its not that animals are looked down upon.

Potter, I think that the idea of animals being spirits reincarnate may possibly be the influence of tribal cultures, like in Tibet, for example. I am seeing less of this idea being discussed with Buddhists here in the West. Buddhism is flexible and fluid, based upon basic tenets. That is why there are so many sects in different parts of the world. It is more a mutual respect for all life. Homosapiens is equal to and part of all life, not superior.

I really like this thought, this belief. It feels right to me.

That is why I save the spiders who inhabit my bathroom sink!

I must agree with jonzen in that the best way to learn is " read read read"

One thing that worked for me was purchasing a book which explained Buddhism in simplistic terms.

I chose one called "The Everything Buddhism Book" by Jackie Sachs

Let's face it, many of the resources out there will make your head spin

I still find that I go back to that book for quick reference.

Thank you for sharing jonzen

I have visited a Buddhist centre in Nova Scotia, Canada but I am not sure at this point if a monastery is in my future. I will most certainly participate in some retreats to further my knowledge.

I'm not sure what piqued my interest in Buddhism. I was brought up in a family where religion wasn't very important but we periodically attended the United Church. After our children were born we tried going to the Lutheran Church (my wife grew up going there), but neither of us felt fulfilled.

We have been attending the Unitarian Universalist Church for about 5 years now. Perhaps it is the open mindedness of this environment that led me to explore different paths.

When I read my first book on Buddhism it was like a big lightbulb went on!! I remember almost shouting out "Exactly!!!" about 20 different times.

I am continuing to read as much as I can and follow the 5 precepts to the best of my abilities. I am certainly not perfect but I feel that I am a much better person since discovering Buddhism.

I was given the book, "Siddhartha" by Herman Hesse when I was 19. The story excited every cell in my body, it rang very true with my spirit.

Many many years passed before I met a Monk from Taos. I tried to sit and meditate silently over 2 days time, and when at last it came time to go into a room and privately ask this man about the Dharma, I instead asked him how he had become a Monk.

I was so moved by his story........he had been a portrait painter in Europe, had hung out in San Francisco with Jack Kerouac and his gang, drank heavily, but had a feeling of being lost. One night, for a laugh, the gang went to a Buddhist gathering. Stanley White never left! He studied and became a Monk. I was moved by his story.

Over time and many difficult personal trials, I read more and more about Buddhism, realizing that it is and is not a "religion". There are many sects , many groups with differing ways of practice, but always it is based on the teachings of Siddhartha, the one called Buddha. I have read the words of Thich Nhat Hanh, and have sat with him and listened to him talk of the practice, of peace and mindfulness. I have sat and listened to the Dalai Lama speak also when he visited Portland. I have visited monasteries in Thailand, Laos and Tibet. Continuing to practice and intuitively feel my way along the path.

There is a small group, or Sangha, that meets here once a week. We sit silently for 2 sets of 25 minutes, with a 10 minute walking meditation in between. Each of us has a slightly different practice, but we all sit together meditating, praying, for peace.

One day I wish to join a monastery, and I trust that in time it will be revealed to me. I "know" this will be so.

Veganism is part of my path also. I also "know" that it is the right way to peace and also to health.

I hope to read other entries by members of this community that are interested in the practice of Buddhism or are practicing Buddhists.

Thank you, JW, for starting this thread.

Tashi Delek,

Jonzen

Just noticed this thread - I should have checked the forum while I was on vacation. Like so many others here, I've just started down the path. It seems that becoming vegan opens a door to Buddhism that might not have been opened otherwise.

A book that I found very helpful, and still refer to all the time is the Dhammapada (translated by Gil Fronsdal). It is surprisingly relevant for an ancient text. And very easy to understand. I have been to many websites, and have a number of books. My approach is to be patient, learn a bit at a time and practice the basic precepts. Buddhism is very easy to practice to some extent at least, and I find great comfort in it when I'm down on the world around me.

Thanks for all your insight Jonzen. Reaching the point you have is an accomplishment. In 1 1/2 years, we're hoping to spend our 10th anniversary in Thailand and Buddhism is the major reason for that choice. This has been one of the best threads on this forum I've read so far. I'm very encouraged.