Favorite Raw Dinners?

robert

Does anyone have a favorite raw dinner? I think the most common thing I hear from people who are not raw is that they don't think they can feel "full" or satiated on a raw diet.

Of course, I'm not raw myself, but I'm more and more raw all the time, while still moving heavy amounts of weight at the gym and maitaining bodyweight.

But what would be a few good examples of really filling raw dinners? Info for myself and others I can pass it along to.

Thanks!

My experience has been that most things will fill you up. Fruits especially, they have a lot of bulk to them, but they're fast digesting so it doesn't last too long. Salads tend to fill me up for a bit longer.

Personally, I think most people say they don't feel "full" when going raw is because they are used to large high calories meals. With a raw diet, your stomach will likely shrink, and you'll have to eat much more often. Shrinking the stomach takes time, most people don't give the time required because they don't feel "full."

My favorite raw dinner so far was a raw stir-fry based loosely on this thread at rawfoodtalk.com (Yes, it tastes as good as it looks in the photos.) Actually, that's the only raw main dish I've made so far; all of the other raw concoctions I've tried have been snacks and desserts.

Honestly I expected that a bowl of raw veggies was just going to end up tasting like a salad, no matter what I did with it, and I'm really not a huge fan of salads. The flavor was more like a spicy stir-fry, and I was quite pleasantly surprised. So was my son, who had a second helping.

We eat raw occasionally. I've been exclusively raw for this week so this is a very timely post for me! I am never hungry when raw, especially if I follow some of the more popular raw cookbooks. They tend to go heavy on nuts and seeds. But the bulk of raw foods alone make me feel full enough.

This week, we had a spinach mushroom pie, sweet potato hiziki salad, mashed cauliflower with gravy and nutloaf, manna bread, oat crackers and corn crackers. Those are the more dense, higher calorie items on the menu. You could easily gain weight eating raw like this. Also, spiral sliced veggie pasta with raw "alfredo" sauce is filling. And raw lasagna.

My dehydrator has gotten a workout this week!

My experience has been that most things will fill you up. Fruits especially, they have a lot of bulk to them, but they're fast digesting so it doesn't last too long. Salads tend to fill me up for a bit longer.

Personally, I think most people say they don't feel "full" when going raw is because they are used to large high calories meals. With a raw diet, your stomach will likely shrink, and you'll have to eat much more often. Shrinking the stomach takes time, most people don't give the time required because they don't feel "full."

does our stomach shrink when we go vegan? Is that helpful?

We eat raw occasionally. I've been exclusively raw for this week so this is a very timely post for me! I am never hungry when raw, especially if I follow some of the more popular raw cookbooks. They tend to go heavy on nuts and seeds. But the bulk of raw foods alone make me feel full enough.

This week, we had a spinach mushroom pie, sweet potato hiziki salad, mashed cauliflower with gravy and nutloaf, manna bread, oat crackers and corn crackers. Those are the more dense, higher calorie items on the menu. You could easily gain weight eating raw like this. Also, spiral sliced veggie pasta with raw "alfredo" sauce is filling. And raw lasagna.

that's true, although i'm not raw, i've been adding more raw food to my diet, and decreasing the number of cooked and processed foods.. and it helped me a lot.. i don't feel hungry 20 minutes later ( like when i used to eat cooked veggies lol ), nor tired.. it's great..

does our stomach shrink when we go vegan? Is that helpful?

It's probably not good for trying to gain weight, but to maintain a healthy body, yes it's helpful. It's much less taxing for your digestive system to do smaller portions.

Whoever says they haven't felt "full" on a raw diet, obviously hasn't

eaten 5-8 avocadoes in one day in the form of GUACAMOLE!

Any raw foods high in fat will fill you right up.

raw almonds, walnuts, avocadoes, olives, etc.

What I made for "dinner" tonight:

Chard & Kale wraps

Ingredients:

Rainbow chard leaves & Lacinato kale leaves big enough to make

a wrap sandwich with.

Sprouted sundried tomato hummus.

(I don't consume often, but if I want something heavy..)

You can also use raw nut butters, tahini, seed cheeze, whatever you

want.

thinly sliced yellow bell pepper.

shredded zuccini.

Hass avocado.

alfalfa sprouts.

also is good with: thinly sliced (red)cabbage, diced tomatoes,

red pepper, all sprouts, olive oil, pumpkin seeds,

nutritional yeast, kelp flakes, etc. etc.

Wrap up just like a burrito, and eat.

Be creative!

I made about 5 of these, all different combinations.

I also ate another avocado.

Pretty filling to me...

I need to try that with something other than lettuce. I was going to make sprouted hummus, but the sprouts spoiled, only some sprouted.....

Oh yeah, I also got Dr. Norman Walkers books today, "Become Younger" and "Fresh Vegetable and Fruit Juices: What's Missing in Your Body?"

They're great...

Edited by Zack

Whoever says they haven't felt "full" on a raw diet, obviously hasn't

also is good with: thinly sliced (red)cabbage, diced tomatoes,

red pepper, all sprouts, olive oil, pumpkin seeds,

nutritional yeast, kelp flakes, etc. etc.

Pretty filling to me...

That sounds really tasty, I had thought nutritional yeast wasn't raw. Is there a certain raw version to look for? Or is it all raw?

okay so im trying to lose abdominal fat and someone told me that i should eat more raw foods and limited processed foods...so does this mean salads every night??? i have no idea how raw foods work cuz i always, usually, stir fry tofu and veggies and have, sometimes, rice w/ it or some carb. soooo i need help cuz im totally clueless.

That sounds really tasty, I had thought nutritional yeast wasn't raw. Is there a certain raw version to look for? Or is it all raw?

Nutritional yeast aka. Brewer's yeast(the Red Star kind), has live active bacteria, and is a reliable source of vitamin B-12.

As for being raw, I haven't heard anything one way or another.

When you are raw, you need to allow yourself breathing room.

& not act like you have an eating disorder about it.

Does nutritional yeast taste good to you? do you feel comfortable

using it?

I personally do not consume Brewer's yeast, one because yeasts

don't go over well for me, and two.. I am just not drawn to it.

So, I have no idea if it's raw or not.

I suppose I am becoming too concerned over the comments of many raw foodists claiming any miniscule amount of cooked food to be absolute poison to the body. I will take this advice and just pay attention to what my body does as I eat more pure and live foods and how it reacts to "iffy" things like brewer's yeast (which I love the flavor of and currently do not notice any disputes between it and my body). I am on the "Eat to Live" diet right now, with a strong raw focus.

I suppose I am becoming too concerned over the comments of many raw foodists claiming any miniscule amount of cooked food to be absolute poison to the body. I will take this advice and just pay attention to what my body does as I eat more pure and live foods and how it reacts to "iffy" things like brewer's yeast (which I love the flavor of and currently do not notice any disputes between it and my body). I am on the "Eat to Live" diet right now, with a strong raw focus.

Even those raw foodists aren't "100%"

And a number of those types of gurus live in very polluted cities

(aka. LA), so that too could factor into why they must strive harder

to be more pure.

They need to detox at a phenomenal rate, since merely breathing LA

air doubles your risk of getting cancer there.

Anyhow.. I am currently reading "Dining in the Raw" by Rita Romano,

VERY good so far.. the concept is very elequently put.

Be as raw as you feel comfortable being.

For me, personally, on my raw food journey, I was comfortable

being 75% raw for a couple of years, then after awhile, things changed.

Now, I am coming to terms with the fact, I cannot even handle dehydrated

foods, condensed foods, or foods that have gone thru a "process"..

My body feels it. And I will feel awful.

I can really only consume fresh foods/sprouts, nearly 100%.

Knowledge is power, and the more knowledge you have about something,

the better you will be able to impliment the right kinds of changes

for your life. The raw life is not for everyone.

You will benefit more by eating the cooked foods you do consume with

absolute love and appreciation, then in fear of some toxins.

Indeed, intention is everything.

• 3 weeks later...

*tummy rumbles* would love the recipes to these if you wouldn't mind sharing! *hopeful*

I love different kinds of salad but my fave raw entree so far is a nori veggie wrap! I get the raw nori seaweed sheets, spread with non-raw grapeseed vegenaise, and load up with veggies. These satisfy any sushi cravings and they're a great alternative to bread or lettuce based wraps. I served them as my birthday dinner instead of eating out and they were a hit!

Princessbee, I would love to share the recipes (or at least the books where I got them) but I've just loaned every one of my raw books to a friend!! We had a raw friend and her omni boyfriend to dinner on Sunday and had:

Crackers (3 flavors)

Cashew hummus

Cucumber discs

Sprout salad

"Meatballs" with barbeque sauce

Kale with red pepper and raw olives

Beet ravioli with nut cheese

Pecan Pie

Some of the items (hummus and pie) came from the Blossoming Lotus restaurant, my friend made the crackers (awesome, her recipe), the meatballs were the same as my meatloaf from Juliano's Raw book, and the ravioli was from the book by the owners of Pure Food and Wine (can't remember the name). The prior recipes for mashed potatoes and gravy also came from Raw.

It was his first raw meal and he couldn't get over the fact that he wasn't hungry afterwards (it was quite rich, more nuts than I would normally eat) since he's only seen my friend eat completely raw fruits and vegetables.

I like to make raw wraps. For example, I start by soaking some brazil nuts, almonds, or walnuts in water for about 8 hours. I then blend those with cilantro, dates, carrots, celery, peppers, a little flax oil, some lime juice and some salt all in a food processor to make a paste. I then lay that a collard green and wrap it up like a burrito.

I, like many other people I have seen say on here, have been working in more and more raw meals into the day, and have gone for days purely raw lately. I like to make a big Mexican bowl, which I finally made raw tonight by making my own salsa.

First I threw the following in the food processor:

1 mango

1/2 red onion

1/4 red cabbage

1 red pepper

5 finger pinch sea salt

clove garlic

then I mixed in 4 chopped tomatoes (small)

I added that to a big bowl of lacento kale torn into tortilla chip size pieces (the stuff is tough enough to create substance) and some other veggies.

One nice thing is I now have 2 large containers full of extra salsa!

My plan is to start sprouting some beans to really kick it up, and maybe add some brewers yeast for that cheesy effect just for kicks.