detox.

Matty Cakes

been raw for over 14 days 100% I love it! I have been Vegan for 3 years now.

Im wondering if anyone else has experienced weird things smells, tastes, etc. when they first went raw?

For the first few days I smelled Ammonia like I was going crazy. My mom told me that drug users when they detox smell ammonia. Well I have never used illegal drugs but I took Adderall all through out high school for "ADHD." that was almost 5 years ago. Im wondering what kind of toxins could still need to detox?

Hey Matty Cakes

"been raw for over 14 days 100% I love it! I have been Vegan for 3 years now.

Im wondering if anyone else has experienced weird things smells, tastes, etc. when they first went raw?

For the first few days I smelled Ammonia like I was going crazy. My mom told me that drug users when they detox smell ammonia. Well I have never used illegal drugs but I took Adderall all through out high school for "ADHD." that was almost 5 years ago. Im wondering what kind of toxins could still need to detox?"

Matty that is SO weird. I have been smelling bleach etc more and thought it must be something people have been putting down the toilet etc. It was right under my noise all the time though. Glad you mentioned that Also at the moment my nose will get really blocked up and then soon after be totally clear.

I'm 14 days raw myself, so I'm exactly at the same point as you. I'm getting all weird effects at the moment. My energy levels are all over the place, sometimes I'm fine other times I'm fatigued as hell (thankfully as the days go by the fatigue attacks are getting less).

I have found my thinking going murky at times too, which makes my dyslexia worse. Then at other times it's like I have sharper thinking. Sometimes I can't be bothered with reading and then the next moment I'm reading for 2 hours.

Also I feel my eyesight is better, like the words is brighter/sharper too.

Basically it's a bit of a roller coaster ride at the moment. But over all I'm quite excited by it all.

Congrads!..

Just make sure you're taking the steps

to fully eliminate toxins from your system.

Enemas, colonics, body brushing, saunas/sweating, sun light.. etc.

Will all help your body become lighter

and aid your eliminative organs.

I was "high raw" (~90% +) for a number of years

before being "100%"

(don't let the dogma get to you, eat what feels right for your body.)

Here is something I just posted in another topic:

Raw food is intense. Being raw is intense.

You can do someone's system a lot of harm, if they detox too quickly,

and end up having insufficient elimination of these toxins

(by reabsorbing the toxins)

I don't think this should be taken as lightly as someone just going

vegan for 30 days, or so...

People can get sick(detox), have serious detox symptoms, and end up

with a variety of other issues if they go too quickly into it.

I have been raw (nearly 100%) for almost 4 years now, and I STILL

experience detox symptoms that are unpleasant.

Because not only are you detoxing from pharmacuticals/aspirin/diet pills/

soda/sugar, etc. , you're also detoxing cooked food from your system.

Which goes back to when you were a baby.

It is intense.

I feel if there are going to be serious restrictions with this challenge,

there also needs to be holistic eliminative approaches taken as well;

such as colonics, enemas, body brushing/exfoliation, saunas, etc.

Raw foods do you no good, if you don't fully eliminate the toxins

they release into your system.

You are truely awakening old demons.

My recommendation would be to make it a high-raw challenge,

and include some cooked foods, to avoid shocking the system with "100%"

Also, I don't think it should be longer than 2 weeks (that is long enough

to experience results, but do no harm in the process), anyone

can go longer if desired.

I cannot stress enough...

You really need to allow your body to adjust to 'high-raw' for

a number of years before just diving into the deep end of the

raw food pool.

Having 100% raw food label, does not mean you're 100% healthy;

this lifestyle is a lot more involved than that..

(hah, sorry to ramble off... )

Hey Matty Cakes

"been raw for over 14 days 100% I love it! I have been Vegan for 3 years now.

For the first few days I smelled Ammonia like I was going crazy. My mom told me that drug users when they detox smell ammonia. Well I have never used illegal drugs but I took Adderall all through out high school for "ADHD." that was almost 5 years ago. Im wondering what kind of toxins could still need to detox?"

Matty that is SO weird. I have been smelling bleach etc more and thought it must be something people have been putting down the toilet etc. It was right under my noise all the time though. Glad you mentioned that Also at the moment my nose will get really blocked up and then soon after be totally clear.

I'm 14 days raw myself, so I'm exactly at the same point as you. I'm getting all weird effects at the moment. My energy levels are all over the place, sometimes I'm fine other times I'm fatigued as hell (thankfully as the days go by the fatigue attacks are getting less).

I have found my thinking going murky at times too, which makes my dyslexia worse. Then at other times it's like I have sharper thinking. Sometimes I can't be bothered with reading and then the next moment I'm reading for 2 hours.

Also I feel my eyesight is better, like the words is brighter/sharper too.

Basically it's a bit of a roller coaster ride at the moment. But over all I'm quite excited by it all.

The first time I smelled the Ammonia. I asked my friends if they smelled it they said no? So I assumed it was a "spring time" air freshener that we bought for the house. Then one time I was driving to the store with some friends and I looked at everyone and said do I smell like Ammonia. They said No. I told them I smell Ammonia so bad it smells like old dog pee. So I asked Omar at Living Cuisine he told me my body was detoxing. Then my mom told me about her old drug days and detoxing. Its really scary that all stuff is stored inside your body.

the other thing is pardon me but after #2. I feel amazing and each time I feel better and better. I mean its gross of me saying this but its really the most amazing feeling in the world. My friend who is trying out raw with me says he noticed this as well.

the other thing is pardon me but after #2. I feel amazing and each time I feel better and better. I mean its gross of me saying this but its really the most amazing feeling in the world. My friend who is trying out raw with me says he noticed this as well.

this is your body releasing toxins, probably ones from long ago...

this is why colonics are amazing.

I dance forever after I get one.

love love love them

this is your body releasing toxins, probably ones from long ago...

this is why colonics are amazing.

I dance forever after I get one.

love love love them

Im always down for new things what exactly is a colonic. I have an idea I really hope its not a two party job?

another roommate in our house is doing the "master cleanser." Does anybody know anything about that? I was thinking about trying this after a couple months of raw.

Im always down for new things what exactly is a colonic. I have an idea I really hope its not a two party job?

another roommate in our house is doing the "master cleanser." Does anybody know anything about that? I was thinking about trying this after a couple months of raw.

this is where I get mine done

http://www.chakra17.com/therapies.asp?loc=w

I haven't had any experience with the Master Cleanse, though

I'd considered it, maybe we should have a Master Cleanse group/time

or something with a few people on the forum??

I have fasted for 30 days before, so I think I could do it.

I am interested in juice fasting also, possibly on Green Lemonade

(similar to the Master Cleanse lemonade, only with greens, which I

think would be better for the body)

I'm up for another fast if anyone wants to do it. Probably not 30 days, but a decent one.

A colonic is basically where they clean out your colon with a machine using water, far superior to an enema. Helps to get rid of toxins and things stuck in your colon that an enema would never get out, highly recommended.

Some interesting stuff posted since I last read the thread.

Matty when you smell Ammonia, do you also get the burn of it too. I can smell it quite a bit, but also get the burn of it like I was sniffing it as well (ow!).

Also Matty, since you said you have/had ADHD I'm kind of curious. I suffer from dyslexia which is a cousin of the ADHD condition, and wondered how you feel about ADHD with the detox. Is it much the same, less, more, different ? One of my dreams with the cleanse and the raw lifestyle is that I find that such conditions are greatly reduced or even better gone completely!

As for the master cleanser I have this link to someone's journal, it's kind of funny and does give a hint what it's like.

http://yestheyrefake.net/lemonade_diet_cleanse_journal.htm

Also on my hits on amazon(uk) I found two men who seem to be gurus for a better word in the area of detoxing. I have sent for some of their books to give me a better understanding of the whole detox thing.

Mucusless Diet Healing System - Arnold Ehret

Master Cleanser - Stanley Burroughs

Also a link about Arnold Ehret here http://www.fruitarian.com/ab/RationalFasting.htm

I've seen programs about fasting and enemas, and they get this stuff called platue they pass after a week and it's like, for a better description looks like a rubbery seaweed type stuff. So is the mucus they speak about with the detox, is that the same as colonic plaque ?

andesuma You speak of body brushing as part of helping detox, can you explain more what that is ?

so I don't wanna sound dumb do you mean a fast with no food at all explain more about this fast? Im down to try it out becuase its way easier to do things with friends/other people.

There are different kinds of 'fasts'... the only true "fast", is a water

fast, which is what I have done, for 30 days.

Nothing but water.

I am more interested in veggie juice fasting these days.

I also need something that will energize me, since marathon training is

quickly approaching, I cannot be running on water.

So, I was thinking 2 weeks blended foods (fruit/green smoothies),

and then 2 weeks + veggie/fruit juices, and to break the fast,

one week of fruits only.

But I think that's probably what I'll do.

Not sure yet.

Also,

Monow --

you can purchase a body brush at any health food store, a loaf works

well too. It's basically scrubbing all of the dead cells off of your skin,

as well as increases blood circulation.

(You detox 2-5 lbs of waste from your skin everyday!

It's your largest organ.

so, taking care of your skin, sweating, and body brushing,

are really important things..)

andesuma, you did a 30 day water fast???!!!

i'm fairly certain i would have severe problems if i tried that. not only could i not work out at all, i'd have to meditate all day just to conserve energy. and even then, i have such a fast metabolism that my body would not allow me to do anything remotely like 30 days. if i don't eat anything for one day i lose between 4 and 6 pounds. i have no idea how you did 30 days. you're like ghandi!!

matty: as to this ammonia thing... specifically ammonia? do you taste it? and/or does your breath smell like ammonia to others? if so, that can actually be a sign of some other serious problems. but if no one else smells it and you're smelling it on your own, then i'm sure it's like what the others have said and you're just experiencing normal detox.

bodybrushing:

http://www.care2.com/channels/solutions/self/684

as to the strange smells in the air when going raw... andesuma wrote a few weeks ago about going fruitarian and experiencing hightened smell. so this weekend, i at nothing but fresh fruit. only whole fresh fruits for me. that was a lot of fruit. it was hard because i was constantly hungry. literally, my stomach was growling constantly. even when eating. i went to a museum showing and it was pretty audible there. seriously, if i hadn't had these little clementine tangerines in my bag to eat constantly, i would have probably chewed my hand off. anyway.... about the smells. on saturday a college buddy was over and we went to a movie. the hot dogs and popcorn smell was just ridiculous. seriously, i had to breath out of my mouth. it was like the hot dog smell was coming from right in front of my face. again, the tangerines helped. they smell good when peeling them. afterwards, he wanted to stop at a cold stone. it didn't matter to me since i'm not eating there. and he's not even vegetarian, so who am i to argue. well holy bejeezus! i stepped two feet inside that place and i gagged. when i was a little kid, i never remembered ice cream smelling like that. seriously. worst think ever. i can't even describe the smell. dead stuff i guess. i didn't even have to ask my friend if it smelled bad to him. i knew by the 20 odd people crowded inside the store that it was undetected by them.

anyway, on the other end, i was at the gym and even though the pool is behind glass with it's entrance from inside the locker room and i've never once smelled it before, i could clearly smell chlorine from halfway across the gym floor. outside in the parking lot i could smell it too.

sunday when i went grocery shopping, i noticed something. red kale smells like flowers. like really sweet smelling flowers. i wanted to bottle the sent and sell it. then i realized most people probably can't smell it. and i picked my fruit by what smelled the best. it was pretty intense to say the least.

and that's my requisite ramble for the week.

andesuma, you did a 30 day water fast???!!!

i'm fairly certain i would have severe problems if i tried that. not only could i not work out at all, i'd have to meditate all day just to conserve energy. and even then, i have such a fast metabolism that my body would not allow me to do anything remotely like 30 days. if i don't eat anything for one day i lose between 4 and 6 pounds. i have no idea how you did 30 days. you're like ghandi!!

Well.. thanks! haha, granted though, I did not do the fast with

any positive intentions necessarily, sort of a personal decision.

I was traveling the country a lot at the time, so.. mostly all I had to

worry about was getting water into my system.

I took hot baths and relaxed a lot, felt low in energy, but wasn't

concerned with friends/family/work, or anything else of that

matter at the time. I had no obligations or stressors, I was traveling.

I was also, not raw vegan at the time, I was whole foods vegan.

It was definitely a learning experience, you build an enormous

amount of discipline & enlightenment doing something like that.

& I wouldn't mind doing another one, someday.

I think I need to get some more cleanses down first though..

30 day water fast is certainly possible, but it's not easy. My question is how did you do it andesuma? You are a small (but strong) girl! Not a lot for your body to use for fuel?

It's definitely not easy, I would say after two weeks is when things change,

after that, it's really just strange to consume foods..

I was traveling a lot (well, my mother was driving most of the time),

I was in my adolescence, and was seeking something that would help

with my self-discipline, help me control food cravings, etc.

(I was whole foods vegan at this time, but still had issues with foods,

as most girls that age do...)

I didn't have any spiritual intentions with my first 30 day water fast,

but I would like to with my next.

I didn't find it extraordinarily difficult after some time, I probably could

have gone longer... but I do think I lost too much weight,

and towards the end, had hardly any energy.

But, it built the life long discipline, and the deeply ingrained belief..

that I can really do anything. Now, I am more interested in juice cleanses,

maybe another water fast sometime.. when I am away from the chaos.

30 day water fast is certainly possible, but it's not easy. My question is how did you do it andesuma? You are a small (but strong) girl! Not a lot for your body to use for fuel?

I did water for 8 days and quit after that, felt good towards the end, but I was sort of forced into quitting it. I'd like to do longer eventually, I think juice fasting is more practical, but i'm stubborn and feel like i'm not doing good enough unless it's water..... I only really had food cravings until the third day, after that it was awesome. I'd say it's what made me go veg, completely renewed taste and smells, made me pretty happy.

Longer than 30 days is overkill, at least I think so...

It also probably feels weird to consume solid food because many of your systems (mostly digestive) have slowed to a crawl also, but I've never fasted that long, though I plan on trying a decent fast when it gets warmer out and I get some time off, but I'm more interested in juice fasts also.

Some interesting stuff posted since I last read the thread.

Matty when you smell Ammonia, do you also get the burn of it too. I can smell it quite a bit, but also get the burn of it like I was sniffing it as well (ow!).

Also Matty, since you said you have/had ADHD I'm kind of curious. I suffer from dyslexia which is a cousin of the ADHD condition, and wondered how you feel about ADHD with the detox. Is it much the same, less, more, different ? One of my dreams with the cleanse and the raw lifestyle is that I find that such conditions are greatly reduced or even better gone completely!

well I haven't taken meds in over 5 years. I hated the way I felt when I was taking meds. so I will not notice if there was a change until I start school again?

geez guys as a "whole food" vegan I though going "Raw" was taking it to the limit. Now we are talking about a water fasts Holy cow! Any way I have some way rad friends that wanna try out these detox diets. I think with the help of the forum it can be done.

Right now 95%-100% I might have a "raw vacation" a not raw meal? who knows lasting one month.

Juice fast for 10-14days kick it up a little bit. I love the way im feeling being raw. I can only imagine how great the next level will be!

100% Raw 30 days

Water fast 7 day goal! cross my fingers. just to see how disciplined with food I can be.

lets face the facts folks

I am a fatty to say the least I have been my whole life Im being real here.

food is my addiction it has been forever. Now Im trying to change all that. advice please.

geez guys as a "whole food" vegan I though going "Raw" was taking it to the limit. Now we are talking about a water fasts Holy cow! Any way I have some way rad friends that wanna try out these detox diets. I think with the help of the forum it can be done.

Right now 95%-100% I might have a "raw vacation" a not raw meal? who knows lasting one month.

Juice fast for 10-14days kick it up a little bit. I love the way im feeling being raw. I can only imagine how great the next level will be!

100% Raw 30 days

Water fast 7 day goal! cross my fingers. just to see how disciplined with food I can be.

lets face the facts folks

I am a fatty to say the least I have been my whole life Im being real here.

food is my addiction it has been forever. Now Im trying to change all that. advice please.

Well if you're fat like you say, you could have a ton of toxins built up, fat stores toxins, as long as you have extra fat, you will have toxic buildup left. Just keep doing the raw thing, lots of juice. Listen to your body.