From the SF Bay Area

kjs

Hello Everyone! I've decided to stop lurking and join this wonderful community!

I admire you guys for the great information you've put out here and the great physiques. Really helps disprove all the nonsense that vegans can't be fit. Actions speak louder than words!

I am 33 and have 2 kids. My wife and I both turned vegan about a year ago after being vegetarian our whole lives. I was 190 (5' 11") at the start of last year, but since then was able to lose about 30 lbs of my fat and am in much better shape. I follow a loose version of the Eat to Live nutritional guide.

I've been going to the gym fairly regular, but am looking for some new routines, my lack of willpower creates some lackluster workout sets. I've decided to ditch the mp3 player and workout with a friend to help boost things lately and it's making a little difference. Some of the workouts they show for the movie 300 seem interesting.

I'd also like to say that initially it felt very lonely being the only vegans in our friends and family. But I've been browsing various forums and having the vegan connection makes it seem like I've made thousands of new friends instantly. What an unexpected but great result!

By the way, we also run a East Bay Vegan Kids Playgroup Meetup in the if anyone is interested. Just let me know.

Howdy, kjs...welcome! I'm in Santa Cruz. Great community here; glad you joined up!

I got the same thing going with wife and 2 kids, and we've been vegetarian a while but vegan just the last year or two (on and off). My wife's sister lives in Oakland, so we're up there a bit. Cool idea to have a "East Bay Vegan Kids Playgroup Meetup"...let me know in a PM when and where it happens!

Good to have you here...

Welcome to our awesome group! We have a great community here and it just got better

To my surprise, we don't have many members from San Fran, one of the most vegan-friendly cities in the world. I'd love to see more and more from there.

Thanks for the great intro and for all the info. I hope to see you on here on a regular basis.

You are right....you make friends instantly here. In fact I'm visiting a forum friend in Seattle right now.

All the best and welcome to the team!

Hey kjs, welcome! I am also 33, and my wife and I are coming up on our 1st year anniversary of being vegan. Congrats on the weight loss - we both lost a bit too. You have some great places to eat in the bay area, we were there last November and it was inspiring.

As for will power in the gym - you could try something organized, like martial arts. I got back into martial arts after a very long hiatus and in less than a year it's whipped me into the best shape of my life (being very high raw vegan has obviously helped that a lot!).

Anyway, welcome to the forum - are you the one who emailed us about the RSS feed from our website?

Nice to meet you guys.

Cubby - Have you tried Eat to Live without protein? did you feel you needed to add the extra protein? I've been eating more nuts and seeds on workout days but not working out strenuously enough to build muscle. I'm a part of his Member Center and he has a good article on protein. I can PM it to you if you are interested.

oregonisaac - I will go ahead and vote for you. Good luck on the contest! Eat to Live is a great nutritional guide as well as Disease Proof your Child for anyone with kids.

Trev - Thanks for the recommendation. martial arts or some kind of organized class in the gym might be good to keep me on a schedule and push me. I was the one that emailed about the rss feed. I almost got it figured out, but got snagged on one thing. I'll see if I can figure it out otherwise if you guys can make a single change in the layout, it will work fine.

• 1 month later...