Straightedge but not a vegan!?

Rex

Straightedge people stop smoking and drinking for the health benefits, but most of the still eat meat!? How does that work? Meat is completely unhealthy!

Also for vegans, should we be sxe? Cigarettes contain animal products, I heard liquor (not sure what kind) contained blood and even worms. Many of this products are still being tested on animals. Please let me know what you think.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are alcoholic drinks that are vegan, and there are probably vegan alternative to cigarettes etc. I personally wouldn't recommend drinking alcohol or smoking anyway, I think they're a waste of money, bad for your health, and alcohol turns people into douchebags quite often.

I don't think that sxe people avoid smoking etc because of health. I think it's more to do with feeling clean or something a lot of the time, that the feel free from 'substances' and stuff. Meat doesn't seem to them to be a problem, although I know what you're saying. I think everyone should be vegan anyway. Maybe there are tie ins for sxe people that they don't realise, like animals which are on steroids etc when they are alive, so technically they are taking drugs by eating meat a lot of the time.

For me it has a lot to do with not supporting this corrupt system called capatalism. There is a lot more but I dont feel like typing a broad spectrum essay at the moment. If you ask specific questions, I will be more than happy to answer.

Vegan Straightedge for life.

Yeah I think they are mostly two different things but not completely. I think to truly be straight edge veganism is a neccessity(although most don't agree) but you can be vegan without being straight edge. I'm an example of someone that loves drinking but doesn't for performance reasons...I think if your straight edge you shouldn't drink but also shouldn't want do drink. Also the word VEGAN goes beyond diet unlike vegetarian but it stops with animals that aren't volunteering to work(aka human rights issues with people being treated bad at work but not being forced to work there)...however straight edge does not.

at my school there's a guy who wears a sXe shirt, and he seems to like almost any kind of food... he's probably the meat-sxe type of guy...

i never really talked to him about it though..

i don't really know anything about sXe anyways, so i'd rather stay quiet in my place..

I'm vegan and straight edge. I've had some problems with substance use in the past.

I started bodybuilding before I went straight edge. There was a period of time when I would have a great workout and then go out and get trashed, just poison my body. Because alcohol inhibits protein synthesis and because it is toxic, I felt like an idiot for working out and drinking. First I limited myself to drinking on non-workout days... One night I worked out really hard, then made a bad decision and started binge drinking. I went from promising myself I wouldn't drink before to not only getting smashed but taking several other substances I promised myself I wouldn't do that night (my problems were mostly with the other substances; alcohol just killed my thinking so I would consume the other things too). I realized then it had to stop. I "detoxed" in september and have been straight edge since. Straight edge gave me something to believe in, a conscious life commitment to remember that I had thought awhile about the decision I made, and that even if I sometimes desire to get fucked up I know I made a calculated decision for the best I can do for myself. There's not a day that goes by that I don't think about taking drugs. I'm not sure if there ever will be. And I'm okay with that. I'm strong.

After being straight edge and vegan for awhile, I realized a lot of parallels in the beliefs and lifestyle. Resisting a culture built on the exploitation of the earth, the manipulation of people, and an unthinking societal mass that praises escapism can be done on both a vegan and a straight edge front. Respecting your body can also be done with both. There is alot of overlap. I would also say though that one doesn't necessitate the other.

Straight edge for life. My life.

XXX

• 4 weeks later...
I'm vegan and straight edge. I've had some problems with substance use in the past.

I started bodybuilding before I went straight edge. There was a period of time when I would have a great workout and then go out and get trashed, just poison my body. Because alcohol inhibits protein synthesis and because it is toxic, I felt like an idiot for working out and drinking. First I limited myself to drinking on non-workout days... One night I worked out really hard, then made a bad decision and started binge drinking. I went from promising myself I wouldn't drink before to not only getting smashed but taking several other substances I promised myself I wouldn't do that night (my problems were mostly with the other substances; alcohol just killed my thinking so I would consume the other things too). I realized then it had to stop. I "detoxed" in september and have been straight edge since. Straight edge gave me something to believe in, a conscious life commitment to remember that I had thought awhile about the decision I made, and that even if I sometimes desire to get fucked up I know I made a calculated decision for the best I can do for myself. There's not a day that goes by that I don't think about taking drugs. I'm not sure if there ever will be. And I'm okay with that. I'm strong.

After being straight edge and vegan for awhile, I realized a lot of parallels in the beliefs and lifestyle. Resisting a culture built on the exploitation of the earth, the manipulation of people, and an unthinking societal mass that praises escapism can be done on both a vegan and a straight edge front. Respecting your body can also be done with both. There is alot of overlap. I would also say though that one doesn't necessitate the other.

Straight edge for life. My life.

XXX

Great story, and great post.

I think there are a lot of uses of the phrase 'straight edge'. Various people will tell you it means something different to them. I don't think it's really that important in terms of what it means, an individual should come to their own conclusions about what they should and shouldn't do, rather than following somebody else's code unthinkingly.

My interpretation of someone who is straight edge is that they don't drink alcohol, smoke or take drugs, unless they are for medical reasons, and they don't have promiscuous sex, they only have sex in a long term relationship.

Other specifications that I've heard from other people:

No sex at all

No sex before marriage

No drugs, not even for medicine

Veganism

Must listen to punk music / hardcore music

But I don't know where it all comes from. I don't think people should worry about fitting in with what someone else says 'straight edge' is. Don't even worry about the phrase. If you don't want to take drugs or smoke or drink, then don't do those things, and if you don't want to have sex, no probz. But I don't see why someone would aim for the label of straight edge in itself. Some people say I am straight edge and some people say that I'm not, but that in itself isn't something I aim for.

Richard,

I appreciate the post. What it comes down to is that straightedge is about a lot more than just abstaining from drug use. I could write a lot on the subject but many before have said it better so I will just leave you with a quote instead ....................

"straight edge is a political statement. It is the politics of regaining control over the self, of taking back from those who wish to control you. It is the politics of rejecting the "values" that have been instilled in us, that have been etched in our hearts-greed, apathy and selfishness. In a system dependant on the intoxication and ignorance of the masses, the abstention from the same can be nothing other than a rebellion against the system. Our minds drowned and chained by unjust and empty traditions, straight edge is a rejection of the assumption by our culture that we will partake in their poisons, another fuel to their machine, another blind consumer for their industry." - Birthright

• 3 weeks later...

This thread is very interesting.

I know robert doesn't drink or smoke but I don't think of him as straight edge.

I associate straight edge people with overly religious people. I have nothing against anyones religions but I am against anyone trying to push their ideas and beliefs onto others or anyone who believes that their way of thinking is right and everyone else is wrong. I feel the same way about veganism. I have a lot of respect for vegans. However I am not vegan. I eat a good portion of my diet vegan but I am not even vegitarian I eat seafood. (please spare me a lecture I've heard it all).

It is funny to go out to eat with people and they think its so odd that I order something vegan or even vegitarian on the menu. They ask questions and seem confused when I tell them I am not vegan or vegitarian. Like I can tell they are thinking to themselves then why is he ordering that...

Back to the straight edge topic here are my feelings. You can be concious of your health, the environment, and your personal effect on others around you without being straight edge.

Smoking is a nasty habit but I have friends that smoke that are great people and I wouldn't trade them for anything.

Drinking is fun but I do it responsibly. There are many vegan beers and wines available. I saw a post above about how drinking turns people into assholes or duche bags or something. Some people it does, I don't hang out with those people. Many people are very fun to hang out with when they are drinking and very entertaining.

and SEX dont get me started don't even get me started. Basically use protection and don't mess with peoples feelings. Besides that, sex is good for you! Studies have shown having an orgasim over 200 times a year increases your life expectancy by over 7 years. So all those smokers and have a lot of sex just got back about half of the time they lost from smoking (joke).

But yeah this was a long post basically do what you think is right for you. You can educate people through your own actions without trying to force your beleifs onto them. If you have to have the name straight edge then more power to you; but I feel I am living a very concious life style.

Peace.

Nearly all of the people I know that call themselves straight edge are athiests and only a few of them are vegan. Anyway I don't see why people would think it weird for you to order something vegetarian because you're no different than an omnivore going to Burger King and just getting fries which is a very very normal thing to do.

As for the word straight edge I only think you can be if you call yourself that...although if you call yourself that it doesn't mean you are one. Lots of people are vegan, don't drink, go to church or don't and never even think of the term straight edge.

I associate straight edge people with overly religious people. I have nothing against anyones religions but I am against anyone trying to push their ideas and beliefs onto others or anyone who believes that their way of thinking is right and everyone else is wrong. I feel the same way about veganism. I have a lot of respect for vegans. However I am not vegan. I eat a good portion of my diet vegan but I am not even vegitarian I eat seafood. (please spare me a lecture I've heard it all).

It is funny to go out to eat with people and they think its so odd that I order something vegan or even vegitarian on the menu. They ask questions and seem confused when I tell them I am not vegan or vegitarian. Like I can tell they are thinking to themselves then why is he ordering that...

Back to the straight edge topic here are my feelings. You can be concious of your health, the environment, and your personal effect on others around you without being straight edge.

Smoking is a nasty habit but I have friends that smoke that are great people and I wouldn't trade them for anything.

Drinking is fun but I do it responsibly. There are many vegan beers and wines available. I saw a post above about how drinking turns people into assholes or duche bags or something. Some people it does, I don't hang out with those people. Many people are very fun to hang out with when they are drinking and very entertaining.

and SEX dont get me started don't even get me started. Basically use protection and don't mess with peoples feelings. Besides that, sex is good for you! Studies have shown having an orgasim over 200 times a year increases your life expectancy by over 7 years. So all those smokers and have a lot of sex just got back about half of the time they lost from smoking (joke).

But yeah this was a long post basically do what you think is right for you. You can educate people through your own actions without trying to force your beleifs onto them. If you have to have the name straight edge then more power to you; but I feel I am living a very concious life style.

Peace.

If there was anything worth responding to topic by topic I would. Not only do you have a terrible understanding of straightedge, your arguments are completely off the wall.

Peace.

If there was anything worth responding to topic by topic I would. Not only do you have a terrible understanding of straightedge, your arguments are completely off the wall.

Yeah, I didn't really understand the point of C.O.'s post. There was really nothing worth responding to.

um it was just an outsiders point of view on straight edge.

Obviously you are so concerned with fitting a defined mold of what straight edge means that you are un-open to hear anyone else's views.

Dude you obviously dont understand what straightedge is, so you would really have no clue what mold would be so concerned with / or with not fitting.

Straight edge.

Straight edge is a top secret club where people think they are better than everyone who is not in the club and have no interest in listening to ideas from others who are not members.

Straight edge.

Sorry This thread is all yours, I will keep my jagged self away from it.

Peace.

Straight edge.

Straight edge is a top secret club where people think they are better than everyone who is not in the club and have no interest in listening to ideas from others who are not members.

Straight edge.

Sorry This thread is all yours, I will keep my jagged self away from it.

Peace.

When did I say I think I'm better than anyone else? When was I close-minded about other peoples views? In fact I was open-minded because I tried the opposing view, used drugs, and became a long-term dependent drug user. All I did was share my story with everyone and show how adopting the title of straight edge helped change me for the better.

I'm glad you decided to step away from this thread. You have added nothing to it, and only turned a somewhat interesting and meaningful thread into a shitstorm. Peace.

I'm not straight edge and I never plan on being so and I don't really make any conclusions about other people claiming to be straight edge but what I do know is that you are way off base on what you think it means.

I was just going to ask why SXE rejects meat, but now I know. I always guessed it had to do with the drugs and hormones that get pumped into animals and SXE desires to avoid getting drugs and stuff in their systems. Interesting stuff.