Challenge thrown by a non-veg to me :-) Your help needed!

I am a long time vegetarian guy and borderline vegan. I am not a body builder but general fitness guy. My e-friend is a non-veg body builder type. On another forum we got into Veggie Vs non-Veggie discussion.

Anyway he asked me to work out a diet for him as a challenge.

My weight is about 190 pounds. I need atleast 190 gm proteins everyday. And my daily diet should not have more than 2500 calories total. Now get me vegan diet that gives me that!

A good 4 meal sample would be nice.

So help me out

tofu is mostly protein..

it has no fats.. and probably no carbs neither..

there's also beans, peas and etc.. they're low in carb, high in protein and usually don't have any fat at all..

there's also many other choices with high protein, lowcarb lowfat out there..

but personally, i don't recommend consuming too much protein like that..

most of people don't need that much of protein..

Edited by andgbr

I don't think he wants to become vegetarian. I think he wants me to provide him a 4 meal sample as example. As long as it's all vegan I don't care if it's with or without supplements.

I am looking for a 4 meal sample for one day

I can probably come up with something, but not this weekend. I've got VegFest www.portlandvegfest.org to organize, but I am sure I can come up with something that fits his interests.

Thanks for joining our group. All the best.

No probs take your time but do get back eventually

Another veggie guy provided this. I know you guys are vegans but I don't mind if you add lacto-ovo products. Your choice.

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/pregnancy.htm

Breakfast

½ cup oatmeal with maple syrup

1 slice whole wheat toast with fruit spread

1 cup fortified soymilk

½ cup calcium-fortified orange juice

Morning Snack

½ whole wheat bagel with margarine

1 banana

Lunch

Veggie burger on whole wheat bun with mustard and ketchup

1 cup steamed collard greens

Medium apple

1 cup fortified soymilk

Afternoon Snack

¾ cup ready-to-eat cereal with ½ cup blueberries

1 cup fortified soymilk

Dinner

¾ cup tofu stir-fried with 1 cup vegetables

1 cup brown rice

Medium orange

Evening Snack

Whole grain crackers with 2 Tbsp. peanut butter

4 ounces apple juice

This sample meal plan provides approximately 2500 calories, 94 gm protein, 70 gm fat (24% of calories), and 396 gm carbohydrate. This sample meal plan meets the RDA for iron, calcium, zinc, vitamin B12, folate, vitamin D, thiamin, riboflavin, and niacin.

that would be 47.5 grams of protein every meal. humans cannnot digest that much protein at 1 sitting. if his goal is to waste protein: mission accomplished.

I think that's might be an overstatement, maybe an average person can't, but I'd have no doubt naturally big people, like Veganessentials for example, could.

that would be 47.5 grams of protein every meal. humans cannnot digest that much protein at 1 sitting. if his goal is to waste protein: mission accomplished.

wannalift -- what is the ideal amount of protein per meal? i often eat much more per meal than i can digest, i think.

wannalift -- what is the ideal amount of protein per meal? i often eat much more per meal than i can digest, i think.

I heard it was between 30 - 50 grams a sitting. Space that out over a period of every few hours.

I think that's might be an overstatement, maybe an average person can't, but I'd have no doubt naturally big people, like Veganessentials for example, could.

VE actually eats suprisingly little for his size. I was about 40lbs heavier than he is but I ate 3-4 times as much food. He actually eat less than the small guys on here. I was quite suprised when I learned of his diet. However I'm pretty sure I took in that much with ease...I just think you waste more the more you eat but you still gain from it. My theory is(and this isn't accurate from person to person) is that if you eat 2000 calories you probably absorb 85-90% of it but if you eat 4000 calories you absorb maybe 70-75% and so forth).

• 3 months later...

I am curious about this protein debate. 1gram per lb of body weight is the recommended guide for body building. Ive read this in so many books, mags and on so many websites. Of course all these sources weren't promoting a vegan diet. Many top body builders (non-vegan and non-natural) claim to take up to 350grams a day.

Where did you learn that we can't digest this much? I would love to see some hard evidence of this. i want to make the change to all vegan but have not found any reliable evidence to support your claim.

Of course 180 grams would be possible on a vegan diet but one would have to cut back heavily on the fruit to get the calories down. Protein supplements would be required. A lot of whey. personally i don't like the idea of consuming vast quantities of one food. Just don't seem right.

I used to live with a body builder who because of his tight budget would eat up to 8 cans of tuna a day!!! He had a degree in sports science and was much bigger and stronger than me. My instincts tell me that this is just crazy but so many serious non-veg body builders aim this high for protein intake.

As body building only started to become big since Pumping Iron (1977) it is maybe still to early to see what the long term side effects are for this kind of diet for active body builders.

Edited by Lemon Squeezer

I think you can digest that much but you need to eat a lot more than that to compensate for waste. The more you eat the more you'll absorb but you'll also waste more.

VE actually eats suprisingly little for his size. I was about 40lbs heavier than he is but I ate 3-4 times as much food. He actually eat less than the small guys on here. I was quite surprised when I learned of his diet. However I'm pretty sure I took in that much with ease...I just think you waste more the more you eat but you still gain from it. My theory is(and this isn't accurate from person to person) is that if you eat 2000 calories you probably absorb 85-90% of it but if you eat 4000 calories you absorb maybe 70-75% and so forth).

I kinda agree if your eating 4000 instead of 2000 calories over say 6 meal/snacks a day you would be increasing your metabolism so you would burn more calories. This wont be enough to counter the extra calories but would explain perhaps the percentages you quoted. Though technically you are absorbing these extra calories so if there nutrition packed then there will be benefits for a body builder.

Remember metabolic base rate increases with lean muscle mass. 50 calories per day per lb of muscle if i remember correctly. so put on 5lbs of muscle and you will be burning 250 calories more every day!