The Journal of Veggie P (Melissa)

thanks Pazios!

thanks Denise! Sedona is in Arizona very close to the grand canyon. It's supposed to be one of the most beautiful and spiritual places in the U.S.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc14/penelopepope/sedonapicturerevised.jpg

thanks Tasha! Actually... I'm ashamed to admit the show... It was the Rachel Zoe project on Bravo. I just like people with quirky personalities and she kept saying really funny things and they take fashion so serious that it is really humorous to watch. I get really into shows that alot of people would find really dumb. LOL

Feels really good to see glimpses of my former self! Having said that... can't believe I let it get this far out of whack.. but I guess we all need a break. It feels good to feel everything tightening up and to start seeing bodyparts that have been covered in a layer of fat.

On a side note, I find myself getting impatient with some of my clients... especially when you start to here the exact same excuses over and over. "I don't have any time"... "it's so hard".... Well... who told you it was supposed to be easy????? I seriously think that some people are still under the impression this should be easy stuff. It is so dang hard sometimes I wanna cry. Not a night goes by that I still don't yearn for a glass of wine or some popcorn or ANY bad carb. Not a day goes by that I don't dread walking into the gym to do my weights and cardio. I'm not one of these people that just LOVES LOVES LOVES working out and eating healthy. I'd usually rather be sitting in front of a movie with a bottle 'o wine, a tub of french fries and the remote... but THAT lifestyle makes me FEEL like shit and have low self esteem and the PAYOFF isn't worth feeling bad about myself everyday. Plus I want to turn as many people as I can onto this way of life and we live in a visual society that worships fitness, health and beauty... therefore its the best way I can offer to turn more people onto a Vegan diet.

Sure there are some days that its easier than other to go to the gym and every once in a blue moon I actually feel like doing cardio... LOL.... but most of the time it is HARD, and there is a power and strength that comes from letting it be hard and doing it anyways. People that just go get there fat sucked out or take shortcuts are completely shortchanging themselves from the confidence and self esteem that comes from EARNING it. When you've EARNED it through your blood, sweat and tears, no one can take that away from you!

On that note, I gotta go suck down a bloody protein shake and get my toushe to the gym!!!

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey VP! Long time! Good to hear you are whipping yourself into great shape! I am maintaining at the moment but not gaining any ground as I haven't been in a gym in two months! Spent a month in Thailand and got to Dubai a month ago. Got a great job and all that but gyms are REALLY expensive and you have to pay a year in advance, so I'll have to wait for after pay day. I've just been doing a bit of yoga and some weights at home. Weight is very stable now at 123. Its still a little higher than I'd like to be but I'm wearing tiny skirts, dresses and heels and looking fabulous. I don't watch my protein intakes AT ALL and eat AT LEAST 60% carbs but all is very well. As soon as I get back in the gym and back on the cardio train I will shed the last few pounds very easily. I just record everything I eat in a little notebook and that keeps it all under control. My new job has a netball team and they have signed me up for it. There is even a coach! So that will be a fun way to get my cardio in!

Anyway hope you are very well! Will sign up for some training schedules as soon as I have managed to join the gym and get back into weight training.

thanks Tasha! Actually... I'm ashamed to admit the show... It was the Rachel Zoe project on Bravo. I just like people with quirky personalities and she kept saying really funny things and they take fashion so serious that it is really humorous to watch. I get really into shows that alot of people would find really dumb. LOL

Okay It was bugging me who was Rachel Zoe. Since I don't have cable. It made it hard to find out who she was.

But I found it and I thought it was funny too." OMG You look banana's " lol

http://www.yidio.com/rachel-zoe-project-preview-special/id/2637003928

Sorry to invade your blog. I was just dieing to tell you

Harley... Yep, I've had Nitrofusion. Its pretty good. I have Vanilla and Chocolate. I guess the only thing I don't like about it is the 12 grams of carbs because that takes away from my complex carb servings for the day, which are so limited anyways that I enjoy having them when I can. But I think its a good product.

Tasha... yep! Love the "bananas" line and I love when she says... "OH MY GOD... DIE!!!" everytime she sees a dress she likes. I don't know why I find the show so entertaining... Either its actually funny or I"m very easily amused

Hey Alison. So good to here from you! And its great to here your maintaining 123 as I remember you being so happy just to be in the 120's altogether, so it sounds like you reached your goal or got pretty darn close!!! Good for you!

Sedona was fun. Didn't get to see nearly as much as I wanted too. One of my favorite things was seeing the Caverns of Grand Canyon. Here is me, my ex-boyfriend, my daugher and his daughter. They are best friends so it makes it easy to travel!

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc14/penelopepope/Skywalk.jpg

VP said

I get really into shows that alot of people would find really dumb. LOL

Dont call me dumb. Except for those housewifes from anywhere, I like bravo programming.

so what is your "guilty pleasure" on cable? Mine are "Flipping Out" which just finished... I was addicted to that show! And I also like the Millionaiire Listings one. I like "Girl On The Loose" and "Rachel Zoe" project... okay... and this one is TRULY SHAMEFUL... but I like "New York Goes To Hollywood" even though it is so scripted and ridiculous... its like roadkill... you don't wanna look but you just have to. I can't get into any dating reality shows though... they nauseate me.

Thanks Tasha. Nitrofusion has 9 grams of sugar which I actually don't consider that high. That's equal to about 2 teaspoons. I don't have it that often, cuz like I said, it cuts into my carb count, and I'd much rather have a flame-crisped Ezekiel tortilla with avocado and salsa as my carb as opposed to something I can't bite down on, like the carbs in Nitrofusion

Thanks I'm Your Man... yep, that is a glass bridge carved into the side of the Grand Canyon. The whole thing is run by an Indian Tribe out there. It was SO EXPENSIVE. My ex spent $256.00 on 4 tickets for us... I knew I kept him around for a reason... ha, ha... kidding.

Upright Rows 4 x 12 @ 60 lbs

Barbell Curls 4 x 12 @ 50 lbs

Rope Pulldown 4 x 12 @ 45 lbs

Stepmill - 1 hour - level 8 - 10... I think it is programmed low though, because it didn't feel that difficult at a level 9.

Will work out again later. I don't expect to keep up a 2 a day pace forever, but I didn't exactly eat healthy in the Grand Canyon, so trying to do some make-up work.

OK, now I'm checking out your Sedona pic....see I do read the forum sometimes.

www.ekozone.net to find the location for this weekend. Should be great networking too! I'm expecting 100 people or so, most of them vegan, as well as some well known vegans who'll be in attendance who would have great contacts.

Catch you later.

damn that's expensive, you must be quite a woman if even your ex boyfriends pay you stuff like that.

ha, ha... I don't know about that. I'm fun to hang out with I guess. He certainly isn't doing it for the sex.... and you can interpret that comment any way you'd like!!!!

OK, now I'm checking out your Sedona pic....see I do read the forum sometimes.

http://www.ekozone.net to find the location for this weekend. Should be great networking too! I'm expecting 100 people or so, most of them vegan, as well as some well known vegans who'll be in attendance who would have great contacts.

Catch you later.

Robert... unfortunately, I won't be able to attend. I have to work early Saturday morning so I don't think I'll be up for the drive to L.A. Have a great time though!

So there is much more exciting news on my project with Kim (Vegan Vixen).

We sold the concept/show to two producers who are very well known in the biz, so its very exciting and it means a very big budget for us. They convinced Kim that it would be best to launch the shows as "Webisodes" which are apparantly the latest greatest things and make everyone the most money over time.

At first when she said "webisodes"... I didn't know what to think, but the more she talks about it, it seems very exciting. We will film 9 shows in Ohio and do alot of P.R. and promo work to get the buzz out. Kim says there will be a red-carpet type event and tv/radio appearances.... I dunno... its all kind of above my head. I'm greatful to be included and I'm trying to just go with the flow.... Sometimes not knowing too much can be a good thing.That way I don't make it out to be a smaller deal than it is or a bigger deal than it is in my head and I can just go into it being "me".

Oh, I guess I should mention what the project is since it's been awhile. We did a pilot called "Funky Fitness Fun for Moms/Tots and Kids" where kids dance and exercise alongside their moms who get fit with strength moves. It was Kim's creation and she asked me to be the co-host and personal trainer on the show, so I'll be creating all the exercises and demonstrating how they're done. It's cool that they want to keep all four of us as the talent cuz they have access to a plethora of actresses and trainers in Hollywood, but I guess they deemed us good enough for the whole project, which is awesome!!! We already have a list of big sponsors that have signed on and its only been sold a week. Again... makes my head spin, so I don't think about it too much.... I told Kim to just give me a "heads up" when she needs me in optimal shape for a show or promotional shoot (and in the meantime I'll be over here eating Veggie Burgers... kidding... sort of )

That's it for now.

• 3 weeks later...

Protein shake (and cardio) question.

Veggie P - just started following your log, and it's been an inspiration...thanks!

If you don't mind, I'm kind of curious as to which protein powder you usually use (I want to stay very low in carbs, too). And do you generally add anything extra in, like flax oil?

That aside, also was wondering if you usually do cardio before or after weights? I personally prefer to do cardio afterwards--because it saves my best energy for the lifting first. But then I worry that cardio after the fact will burn through muscle. (And is it relatively low intensity cardio?)

Thanks, and apologies for all the questions...I'm just really impressed with your results!

Edited by VegannNY

Protein shake (and cardio) question.

Veggie P - just started following your log, and it's been an inspiration...thanks!

If you don't mind, I'm kind of curious as to which protein powder you usually lose (I want to stay very low in carbs, too). And do you generally add anything extra in, like flax oil?

That aside, also was wondering if you usually do cardio before or after weights? I personally prefer to do cardio afterwards--because it saves my best energy for the lifting first. But then I worry that cardio after the fact will burn through muscle. (And is it relatively low intensity cardio?)

Thanks, and apologies for all the questions...I'm just really impressed with your results!

Thanks VegannNY!

I use a wide variety of protein powders including Vega, Kemistry Procore, Nitrofusion, Gemma Pea Protein, etc. And yes, I have a small amount of healthy fats with each and every meal (always less than 15 grams, but I make sure to include it). And yes, I like flax oil If its hemp or Vega, that has enough naturally ocurring fats in the Hemp so you don't need to add additional.

I do cardio AFTER weights, unless I am facing major burnout and I'm not sure if I'll be tempted to leave the gym before my workout is done... in that case I do it first, but its most effective when performed after at a low intensity.

As far as keeping the muscle, use a good BCAA such as Xtend by Scivation consumed during your workout to preserve lean muscle tissue.

Thanks for the compliment!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Me too - curious as to how you're doing!

On a side note, where do you get your Procore? I just browsed around the web, and it seems to be out of stock everywhere...! (And tried Gemma. Not all that impressed.)

Best,

-J

Just saw BB.com is out. Try one of these:

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7GFRG_en&q=procore+protein&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&resnum=4&ct=title

Well, worst case scenario there's Nitro fusion..which is pretty darned good (as opposed to Gemma, which is blech.) But I'd love to try Procore if it was available. Wonder if the company has gone bankrupt? Haven't seen anything on the web to indicate that, but it's a logical conclusion....

Hey VeganNY and Tasha... I'm around... just not posting in my journal until I have some consistent workouts.

I had surgery and have been healing for a month. I was cleared to work out again at the beginning of last week. I took it REEEEALLLLY easy and was still sore for days after

I'll be posting in my journal soon... We start filming the shows in February so I have to get my tousche in gear NOW.

Yeah, Procore is tough to find. Not sure about the status of the company. Last time I bought it, I got it on ebay....

be back soon