How much attention to detail do you focus on?

robert

How much detail do you put into training or eating? A lot or not that much?

For example. The last contest I did, I was chatting with guys who beat me, who weigh everything. They are super exact and use specific portion sizes, etc.

I know a ton of pros do that too. Others don't. They just get whatever they think they need.

And for training. I was watching a video recently that was super focused on specific set times (40 seconds), specific rest time (45-60 seconds between sets) and specific length of workout times (47-53 minutes or something like that).

Some people make a science out of nutrition and training and I think for the most part, that is a very efficient approach.

Does anyone follow really exact programs with nutrition or training?

I'm starting to focus more on how much I eat, what the contents of my meals consist of, and what it will for me and how I can benefit from it.

I'm also giving more attention to my training, rather than just going in and doing things.

In the very near future I'm also doing some more re-had and injury prevention stuff. I have a deep tissue massage scheduled for Thursday and I'll be doing accupuncture very soon too.

I think some people can get by with little detail, and others are too obsessed.

So, how do you roll?

When someone is small they can lift with sloppy form and eat almost anything and get bigger. It's when one is already big and want to get even bigger that one has to pay attention to detail. I'm still in the first boat, though I do pay attention to some of the basic tenets that the serious, bigger bodybuilders employ.

Right now I just kind of go into the gym with a general goal for the workout, and then carry it out based on what type of equipment is open and how I'm feeling.

On the other hand, if I were trying to compete (which I'm not even thinking of right now), I'd probably log down all my workouts and everything I'd eat. That might help in trying to assess why you have/haven't made progress in certain areas or why you lost or gained weight. I know people like Rich Gaspari were like that.

Personally, I've found it useful to log down all my running.

On the other hand, lifting-wise, that might run the risk of getting too obessed with making sure that you get better on specific rep totals compared to previous wokouts, or increasing the weight used....in other words, moving the bar from point A to point B, without really concentrating on on the mind-muscle connection.

I put my thoughts on this in another thread but will comment a bit here as well.

I think it's easy to make gains when you are first starting and/or young without paying much attention to what you're doing. Once your body has settled out where it's "comfortable" in a certain weight/muscle mass zone then I think you need to put more focus into gains.

Over the past decade, I've put a lot of work into training for 3 month periods - with okay results. I've trained consistently for the past 6 months with little progress. I am now keeping a log of food, supplements and weight training. I may add sleep hours as well. I've already seen good strength gains in 2 weeks. Hopefully, this will continue.

I think everyone is different but you won't know if tracking everything closely works for you until you try it.

Right now I just kind of go into the gym with a general goal for the workout, and then carry it out based on what type of equipment is open and how I'm feeling.

On the other hand, if I were trying to compete (which I'm not even thinking of right now), I'd probably log down all my workouts and everything I'd eat. That might help in trying to assess why you have/haven't made progress in certain areas or why you lost or gained weight. I know people like Rich Gaspari were like that.

Personally, I've found it useful to log down all my running.

On the other hand, lifting-wise, that might run the risk of getting too obessed with making sure that you get better on specific rep totals compared to previous wokouts, or increasing the weight used....in other words, moving the bar from point A to point B, without really concentrating on on the mind-muscle connection.

Great post!

I believe that the methods for we approach our training and eating are in direct relation to our goals, assuming we know what actions are necessary or helpful to take in order to achieve our goals.

That isn't true in all cases or for all people, but I think in the majority of circumstances, it is true.

For example.....people who show up at the gym with no plan in mind other than walking on the treadmill while watching TV have a different approach than someone who is a competitive athlete and values each and every workout as as "mandatory practice."

That being said, even some of the best athletes in the world just go through the motions or use poor form or techniques and lack the consistency others have.

Based on our focus and goals we can alter our training to reflect what we're striving for, and in many cases, improve our performance based on those alterations and improvements.

OK, time for me to get ready to rock the gym.....with focus and intent.

Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING is weighed measured and laid out. Every cup of lettuce, tsp of oil, EVERYTHING.

Left to my own devices, I'd be worthless... I'd play mind-games and convicne myself I had less or more of something than I actually do.

Same with workout and cardio. EVERYTHING is laid out.

The only thing I don't pay attention to is how much time between sets. I try not to let too much time pass in between but enough to give 100% on the next lift.

Actually, if people are looking to compete I don't know how they'd ever just "wing it". I would never be able to do that.

I've got certain lifts I do and a route I run. And I try to moderate what I eat and drink, but I'm not measuring things/counting calories/tracking reps etc. I play dodgeball, football, soccer... I like to do those things well. I'm not training to be a superstar or compete in fitness comps so I don't approach things like I am. I just figure lifting and running are components of my goal of overall fitness.

I'm not very regimented to sticking to plans as much as I should be so I'd say I'm pretty lax. However I am very regimented when it comes to actually training. I don't let myself get away with doing nothing. I should pay closer attention to my game plan but its tough with weather getting in the way and taking extra work hours during the week. I wouldn't train any more than I do now even if I could(I already train too much) but it would be nice if I trained a bit better.

It's a little different for me right now because I'm mainly doing group exercise classes. I have a schedule and I know which ones are which days, so I pretty much always know what I'll be doing at the gym. But I am very focused, and if I'm not happy with the way I do something, like for instance my squat form. Then I focus 100% on getting it right asap. When I run I always add more sprints, or will do a longer run.

Hmm, I dont put much attention to details when it comes to food, I just make sure I eat sort of enough.

As for training I could put more attention to details there, I often dont stick to the plan when I am in the gym and I dont really have a plan when it comes to what weights to use, usually I just use what feels right for the workout.

The one area where I do put very much attention to details is lifting technique. All sets of weightlifting exercises are focused on technique, I listen very closely when I get advice from more experienced lifters and I also think quite a bit about technique when not in the gym. Technique is very important for moving the big weights .