Horrible secret within!

Endy

Hi All --

So I have a horrible hair-curling, armageddon-foreshadowing confession to make. You'll hang me. You'll skin me. You'll tar and feather me!

I'm not a vegan.

At 26, I've been a munching vegetarian for one and a half years, and for four years some time before that. I've always wanted to make the switch from cheese to legume, but I haven't really found the support to do it yet. It's rough enough how much crap you get for not deciding to eat meat, and then realizing that most of your area barely has anything for vegetarians, much less vegans -- "Oh! Don't worry, they have a salad. It's okay."

I'm hoping though, that in my endeavors to bulk up, I can gain control over my diet and my environment to the point where I can make that transition. Enter you guys and gals, my new heroes.

6'2", 142 lbs avg (started training 6 weeks ago: 138 lbs avg). Pretty good gains, considering I've been hovering around 138 for the last few years and have a really high metabolism.

Anyhow, PLEASURE to meet all of you!!!!

- Endy

Hey Endy, welcome to the forums! I hope you enjoy it here. Yeah, cheese can be the hardest thing for a person to give up. If you are looking to do so I think you'll find a lot of helpful advice and ideas. Regardless you'll find the group full of support.

Welcome!

Hey welcome, congrats on the gains from training. Don't worry, cheese was a difficult thing for me to muster giving up as well. Meat was super easy but dairy felt odd to stop consuming. But now that's it's been so long, I couldn't imagine ever consuming it again.

Whatever the case, enjoy the forum, it will be a pleasure to enjoy your contributions

Well, since you're here I'm assuming you're at least interested in becoming vegan. Everyone I know had a really hard time giving up cheese.. Lol. My weakness was fish. I was a huge sushi fiend before I went vegan. I still miss fish, actually, but I know I'm doing the planet (and the fish population) a big favor by not eating them.

Welcome to the board!

Welcome! I understand how hard it is to give up cheese. It was easier for me to give up sugar. I've been sugar free for over four months and only completely dairy free for a few weeks. I was still putting milk in my tea a few weeks ago because the soymilk at most coffee shops has sugar in it. Now I bring my own almond milk with me so I don't have that problem.

I did a few experiments to convince myself to give up both sugar and dairy. I would quit them for the week and then cheat on the weekends to see how I would feel. My last sugar experiment was at Christmas time and I felt so ill after going back to it, I quit cold turkey.

With dairy it took a little longer. The only noticeable difference was that my asthma got worse when I had dairy. I would cough "stuff" up and it was gross. So that's my deterrent and my excuse for when people ask "But how can you give up cheese?"

Good luck with your training!

Hey welcome!!

I had the same problem, i was vegetarian for 6-7 years and the only thing keeping me from becoming vegan was vegetarian cheese & milk but i barely had milk cause i was always dieting if i did it was powder skim milk...i thought to my self all those years of not eating animals & animal products and the only thing from making me totaly satisfied with my diet & knowing that i'v done everything in MY POWER to be kind and show respect to these animals was cheese & milk.....

and i have never looked back

I hope you enjoy this forum and the people here are all as friendly as a koala

P.S if you like sugar you should order it from Australia cause Australian company's have stoped using animal products to refine it...

edit: I deleted the duplicate of this post - tuc

Welcome! I know it's hard to give up cheese... I would have been a vegan for a year longer if I wasn't such a cheese addict. Nowadays I still like vegan cheese but I don't even like the smell of milk cheese, it's actually a bit revolting...

Veganism is just like every other thing in life, you have to get used to it and it becomes really easy. It only takes a couple of weeks.

Anyway, have a great time here!

WELCOME! cool to hear that your training is going well.

@marcina: come to the store i work in we have all the vegan fish in the world and about 25 different soy cheeses

Holy s**t xjohanx, I'm taking the next ferry to Sweden! o_O

Where is this store located?

Welcome to the forum Don't worry about restaurants not having food for you. Even if they did have vegan food you probably shouldn't be eating it anyway. Its normally not any good for you and you can save a lot of money just cooking at home. I've got some places to eat about 30minutes away but since I ride my bike pretty much everywhere you can say I'm in the same boat because I don't go to those places anyway...actually a lot of people here do the same thing so you aren't even close to being alone.

Welcome!

My transition from omnivorous to vegetarian was very long and hard, I guess because I was still eating cheese, yogourt and fish, and wasn't happy with it. But becoming vegan was so easy. And I found out everything there is in omnivorous diet, it exists also in vegan version, may it be a natural food that is alike, or a fake meat or cheese. The soy cheese that can melt are really good, while those who can't taste a bit strange.

Concerning the restaurants or food in society, don't accord too much importance to it, those who do are rarely in good health. Yes, eatig can be a occasion for social gathering, but if it means eating crap that isn't good for nobody, it doesn't worth it.

Hi guys and gals --

Thank you for the warm reception! Like a lot of you said, I can see how this forum really has some spectacular, friendly people. I am very much looking forward to getting to know you folks.

As for the vegan/vegetarian issue, I presently consume soy milk and don't really go for regular milk. I'm still guilty with cheese, being horribly addicted to Feta.

I totally resonate with you, Tuc, on the smell of cheese! When I became a vegetarian, I spent a month wondering what I was going to do without a lot of the food I loved. Some time later, I got convinced into trying sushi (which I LOOOOVE) with fish -- you can imagine the ed reaction I had to the flavor and smell of the fish!

I hope that interacting with all of you helps me become vegan and quite fit! I hope I can offer the same to you all too.

Welcome aboard Endy!

Why do you want to be a vegan? IMO if you fell/are addicted to cheese or other non-vegan products you need a strong will. Having a good reason (e.g. ethical considerations) for your veganism is a good basis.

All the best for you!

• 2 weeks later...