Locking Threads.... What's Your Opinion

Yesterday I've watched the new movie about Bob Dylan, I'm not there. In the movie someone talks about some rules in order to be a free person or to be able to live outside of society, the last and 7th rule is : Never create anything , because it will always be misunderstood or misintepreted, because everything you create (may it be a song, a book, or just writing words on a forum) stays forever and you cannot change it. Eventhough yourself you're always changing, your act of creations "will chain you and follow you the rest of your life. And it will never change".

I'm a person who prefer Nature than Modernity. Crowds and Technologies make me sick. So because I said I would prefer to see humanity erased from this planet instead of see it destroying the planet for the next centuries, someone on this forum called me an "Idiot". Maybe it's not his fault, maybe his mother didn't teach him what politeness was, when someone has been raised like this, after this it's too late, except if you believe in miracles.

Then this person said that what I said was "stupid", this is alright (eventhough it's still a pretty childish thing to say), at least he didn't say I'm stupid. That's why I try to detach myself as much as possible from the things I write, not being too much involved in what I say, but sometimes it's hard.

What I mean about all this is : here is a place where we can say our opinions without the risk of being insulted. If I wanted to insult people and being insulted, I would write comments on other forums than here or on Youtube. I like when a discussion is controversial with opposite opinions, but insults should be banned from this site, there should be a rule for it. Because written words can be really vicious and mean, more than spoken words, because with writings, you cannot react in front of the person.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thing is...some people earn their insults even when they aren't making any. Just as in real life some people can suck at certain times...I know I do.

Hello everyone, I have just skimmed through most of this thread as of right now. I locked the thread. I did it because I felt that the thread (that I created) was going in direction that I didn't want it to. I apologize for not allowing some of you to respond back to some negative comments but I felt that a cool down period was necessary. I felt like some people were being offended and thus firing back on the defense.

I apologize for not giving an initial explanation for the reasons why. Lesson learned. I enjoy reading thought provoking posts and looking at things from several different angles, however when I feel opinions aren't taking into consideration other's feelings it gives me a negative vibe. When I locked it, I kinda felt responsible for the negativity that had been created, I thought about the forum alot that night and it bothered me. Silly as that might sound. The idea that a forum can actually affect my mood in negative way also bothered me and so I stayed away from reading new threads for the past few days.

I underestimated the effect of locking a thread and if I overstepped my boundaries as a moderator, I apologize. I hope everyone understands the reasons why I locked it. I never intended to put a stop to free speech or free thought.

Alot of people (like myself) are here because the majority of the time this forum is well-mannered and positive and I like that about this place. Its comforting, informative and fun. Its a rarity for a bodybuilding forum. This is the type of forum I enjoy reading.

I see that my lack of immediate attention has left some forum members without an answer. I apologize for that and I don't think I can commit the time and attention that the forum requires as a moderator. No biggie though, we have plenty of qualified others here to help. I'll still be here as much as I can. Stay up everybody.

ONE.

Thanks for the explanation, Troy. Again, I have nothing but gratitude for all of you who have volunteered to moderate this forum. When you are posting as a 'mod' things are a bit different. It definitely effects you because you feel more responsible about the forum (even if you only feel more responsible because you can actually DO something such as locking a thread). Some new members may look at you differently ("Look, he's a MODERATOR") but the majority of us see you the same as you were before becoming a big internet buzz (sorry, I had to throw that in).

I hope this event does not negatively change your feelings about the forum. You are a well-liked and knowledgeable member. Stay with us.

I underestimated the effect of locking a thread and if I overstepped my boundaries as a moderator, I apologize. I hope everyone understands the reasons why I locked it. I never intended to put a stop to free speech or free thought.

aaaw Troy... the fact that you can admit that gives me the warm fuzzies and makes me have nothing but respect for you.

That statement above shows that you are a rare breed and why so many people have been inspired by you.... not only how you've built your physique, but your thoughtful and intelligent posts

Thank you. xo

Troy IS Bodybuilding.

I didn't even realize you were a mod troy as there were so many of us recently added to the list. Shows that it isn't a big deal anyhow to have a number of people helping to keep the tone of a forum positive and such.

Thanks for letting us all know you closed the thread. Obviously you didn't try to toy with people and blindly close it, that is certainly not your style. I'm sure it helps put alot more people at ease knowing the who's and why's. I felt like it was making the overall sentiment even more hostile that a thread got locked and nobody knew who did it and it was causing a discontentment amongst having too many moderators.

I couldn't think of anyone better to represent this forum as a mod or admin than you, other than robert (durr) and a heavy metal ninja who kics arse.

----peace----

I think they meant with me, silly

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/6048/huwoahuhgs3.gif

By the way...shouldn't I be offended at you choosing a 70's guy whose absolutely horrified and afraid of what he sees as your comment back?

NAH.

He is shocked. I don't know what you see.