Ya Gotta Stand Up And Speak Up

So this story is two-fold.

My daughter decided 2 weeks ago to go completely Vegan. She was vegetarian and only doing dairy while at school (milk and cheese), but I guess hanging out with Vegan Vixen Kim and her daughter and all of their friends over the past couple months made her decide to make the switch.

So we already knew that the school lunch offers 1 Vegan item.... Uncrustables. Not the healthiest choice, but we discussed she would eat 2 side veggies and a juice to make it balanced, and then I would make her lunch 2 or 3 days as well so she doesen't get burnt out. Well, my sometimes shy 9 year old, asked the lunch lady, "Can I have an uncrustables?" The lunch lady told her there wasn't anymore.

I WAS SO LIVID. She absolutely lied. I spoke to the head of food services when Sierra decided to go VEgan to ask what the choices were and she told me they were required to have Uncrustables on hand for Vegan kids. The lazy lunch lady just didn't want to go get it from the back, so my daughter had to eat cheese just because the lunch lady was being lazy.

Not only did I insure that NEEEEEEVER happens again... but I had a long discussion with the Head of Food Services and she is going to bring in at least 1 or 2 more Vegan items for Sierra and other kids so they have a variety (and lets face it... Uncrustables is Vegan... but a pretty crappy choice for a lunch meal).

So that was a huge feat! They are going to hold a taste test with a few items I suggested to see which ones go over well with the kids and the ones that are the most popular, they'll ad to the regular menu. So the point is, you can create change, you just have to be really really pushy, yet still remain calm )

Okay... 2nd story.... So last week some of the kids were teasing her a bit with questions like, "Why don't you eat any meat or dairy, that's weird"... she replied back... "Well, I'm gonna save 6,000 animals over my lifetime by being Vegan".... a couple of her friends got completely wide-eyed and said back to her... "I wanna save 6000 animals!!!" So now she has two of her little friends asking her daily... "Sierra, are beans Vegan?".... "Sierra, is this Vegan... can I eat this?"....

So cool

"Well, I'm gonna save 6,000 animals over my lifetime by being Vegan".... a couple of her friends got completely wide-eyed and said back to her... "I wanna save 6000 animals!!!" So now she has two of her little friends asking her daily... "Sierra, are beans Vegan?".... "Sierra, is this Vegan... can I eat this?"....

Gave me the shivers. What a blessing it must be to see how she touches the lives of her fellow classmates and affects change.

Way to take initiative and make change! I wish they had vegetable back in elementary school. The only thing i remember that even closely resembled veggies were the fried onion rings and I hated onions. The first time I saw actually vegetables being served was in college

It may not be the best thing being processed and all but what is that is being offered in schools? Vegan processed over omni processed type stuff anyday!

Your daughter ROX!!!

That is so cool man. I wish schools were more vegan friendly too. Dairy is one of the 10 most common allergens and they put it in EVERYTHING!! You'd think the school would have more stuff on hand for those who are vegan or allergic to dairy. They've banned freakin peanuts from schools, why not substitute with some veggies or fruits?

Dairy is one of the 10 most common allergens and they put it in EVERYTHING!! You'd think the school would have more stuff on hand for those who are vegan or allergic to dairy. They've banned freakin peanuts from schools, why not substitute with some veggies or fruits?

It's because peanuts are not necessary for a healthy human diet. Dairy is.

VP;

What are crustables? I'm a bit behind on my trendy foods .

So many problems exist because people don't want to take the time to say something. Kudos to you for doing so!

Kudos to your daughter for the switch and for standing up for herself!

That was an inspiring thing to read!

aaawww... thanks everyone! Yes, I'm very very proud of her. And the head of Food Services is trying get us at least one more item on the menu. It's funny thogh, she just sent me a message saying that she looked at some of the Vegan items and said they had alot of salt and aren't I concerned about the salt? I couldn't help but respond back... "Well, I'm sure they don't have any more salt than the Chili Cheese Dog, The Cheese Maxi Sticks, The Chicken Teryiaki Bowl and the Pepperoni Pizza Pockets that are currently on your menu... am I right?"..... Hope that wasn't rude... ha, ha... but its true and I couldn't resist!

This weekend I had a booth at World Fest and I LOVED talking to the kids most of all. They'd come up and tell me about a website they were starting or a Tree Planting community thing they were doing and I just ate it all up and tried to give them more info and I love watching their little eyes light up. I'd say, "Did you know that Methane is doing more damage to the planet than the cars are... and do you know where Methane comes from?" They'd open their eyes really wide when I told them about the factory farms and how they were hurting the planet. I know they're going to go home and google it and try to find out more and that just made my day. We gotta reach out to the kids!!

This weekend I had a booth at World Fest and I LOVED talking to the kids most of all. They'd come up and tell me about a website they were starting or a Tree Planting community thing they were doing and I just ate it all up and tried to give them more info and I love watching their little eyes light up. I'd say, "Did you know that Methane is doing more damage to the planet than the cars are... and do you know where Methane comes from?" They'd open their eyes really wide when I told them about the factory farms and how they were hurting the planet. I know they're going to go home and google it and try to find out more and that just made my day. We gotta reach out to the kids!!

You bad girl

Dairy is one of the 10 most common allergens and they put it in EVERYTHING!! You'd think the school would have more stuff on hand for those who are vegan or allergic to dairy. They've banned freakin peanuts from schools, why not substitute with some veggies or fruits?

It's because peanuts are not necessary for a healthy human diet. Dairy is.

Lol dairy isn't either, the mass majority just hasn't figured that out yet.