Omega-3...Do we need flax and fish oil?

so you say he is a mountebank?

I don't know, mountebank may be a bit harsh.

But, some things are clear facts. Just a few years ago Big was downing mass quantities of cooked foods, trying to bulk up. He posted before pictures of his skinny self and his new bulky self after months of cooked food. Then he decided to bill himself as "the fruitarian one" and promptly deleted all of the before and after pics and his food blog. He then started violently (with words) opposing anyone who criticized him or fruitarianism in general.

So, is he a "mountebank"? I don't know, you'll have to decide that for yourself.

This is true, if you search you can actually find remnants he forgot to remove..

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just always wondering, where do bigbwii get all theese thing, omega-3, b-12 etc. if he only eats fruits?

That's really simple, he doesn't.

He doesn't if he doesn't eat olives, avocados, seeds and nuts...

All those are fruits! Olives and avocados are truly fruits. Seeds and nuts, it depends on your conception and definition of what is a fruit, but they are fruits in shells.

Just always wondering, where do bigbwii get all theese thing, omega-3, b-12 etc. if he only eats fruits?

That's really simple, he doesn't.

He doesn't if he doesn't eat olives, avocados, seeds and nuts...

All those are fruits! Olives and avocados are truly fruits. Seeds and nuts, it depends on your conception and definition of what is a fruit, but they are fruits in shells.

Doesn't eat those.

He once posted a "typical days food" photo.

It had a piece of watermelon, a banana, and a handful of blueberries. Anyone that can survive "13 years as a fruitarian" on that, I'd like to see.

so you say he is a mountebank?

I don't know, mountebank may be a bit harsh.

But, some things are clear facts. Just a few years ago Big was downing mass quantities of cooked foods, trying to bulk up. He posted before pictures of his skinny self and his new bulky self after months of cooked food. Then he decided to bill himself as "the fruitarian one" and promptly deleted all of the before and after pics and his food blog. He then started violently (with words) opposing anyone who criticized him or fruitarianism in general.

So, is he a "mountebank"? I don't know, you'll have to decide that for yourself.

I remember reading something from you alluding to the fact that he bulked up on cooked food in a post, but was always wondering why I never heard more about it. That explains it.

I guess Bigbwii will see in some time if he needs to change his diet or not. Of course if he tells what he eats to a doctor, the doctor will automatically say he's deficient in fatty acids. But that doesn't mean anything. What is important, is that the body tells you if there's something wrong. No numbers, studies or doctors will tell you this better than your own body.

I do believe that our body need omega-3, espescially for our brain functions... But, I do believe also that the human body (like everything else from nature) is as close as perfection can get. That means that it can often find a way to adapt and survive. For instance: the Esquimeaux (I don't know how to write it in English -- Eskimo?) and Inuits... Normally, they would suffer of Scorbu, because there's absolutly no vitamin C into their diet, consisting only of animal proteins and animal fats. But, surprisingly, it's not happening, because their body has found a way to metabolize vitamin C -or something that replace it- from other nutrients in their food. But Eskimo females have the highest rate of Osteoporosis on the planet, yet their diet is rich in calcium. I guess that's because their diet is also too high in proteins (?)

... it has been said by someone on another thread, but cows obviously don't get all vitamins, minerals and complete proteins, only by eating grass. They obviously don't need all the other vitamins. There's bit more vitamins and minerals in the diet of the wolves, hyenas and other carnivorous animals, because they eat hervivores.

And us, humans, how can we be sure that all those vitamins, minerals, "essential" fatty acids and "essential" amino acids that nutritionnists say we need, how can we be so sure we actually need all elements that exist except things like arsenic and cyanide? They often get their infos based on studies with rats or with humans with "normal" health, "normal" meaning they're able to walk from a room to another, with "normal" levels of cholesterol and fats in their blood, "normal" being too high.

So, to get back to the omega3, is it possible for a fruitarian to suffer from a lack of it? Knowing that the body cannot synthetize omega3 from scratch, maybe it can find another way, or maybe science was wrong again and overestimated the value of omega3, just like it happened with so many other things in nutrition? I guess the only way to be sure is to try yourself or watch if Bigbwii is doing fine.

Just a quick question - what exactly defines fruitarians.Is it that they will only eat fruit that has fallen naturally from its tree/bush?

Fruitarians eat only fruit, nothing else. There have been a few "after the fall" fruitarians, but they didn't live to to tell about it.

Well I don't have a nutrition degree, but this diet looks absolutely horrid. I can see the merits of a vegan diet, and even a raw food diet, but just greens and fruits? I am seeing calcium deficiency, B12, even vit D in northern climates. Plus such a low fat diet (<2% fat???) will hurt the body over time. The protein intake should be fine, but not great for building muscle.

Overall, maybe a 3/10 rating from me. What's wrong with people?

Well I don't have a nutrition degree, but this diet looks absolutely horrid. I can see the merits of a vegan diet, and even a raw food diet, but just greens and fruits? I am seeing calcium deficiency, B12, even vit D in northern climates. Plus such a low fat diet (<2% fat???) will hurt the body over time. The protein intake should be fine, but not great for building muscle.

Overall, maybe a 3/10 rating from me. What's wrong with people?

It depends, some fruitarians eat all fruits including coconut, nuts, seeds, avocados, olives. Don't tell me those foods lack of fats.

I agree that a fruitarian that doesn't eat nuts, seeds and the other foods mentioned above may face some problems, or maybe not...

Eskimos eat only meat, their diet have like ZERO vitamins. Yes we could say that their diet is deficient, but they're healthier than most Americans. Because meat and fish is still better than chips and Coke. Samething goes for fruitarians. Someone who would eat only bananas would be healthier than Micheal Moore.

Eskimos eat only meat, their diet have like ZERO vitamins. Yes we could say that their diet is deficient, but they're healthier than most Americans. Because meat and fish is still better than chips and Coke.

Do you just sit around all day making up non-existent facts?

From http://www.statcan.ca/Daily/English/080123/d080123d.htm

the life expectancy of Inuit residents would have been 64.2 years, or 15 years less than for Canada as a whole.

Inuit people have far shorter life expectancies than Americans. The average American now lives to almost 80 years old. Inuit data is not always complete, but estimates range from 35-60 years.

How about a little discretion before just spouting off nonsense and declaring it fact. Maybe it's all the undigestible raw food sitting in your colon.

Eskimos eat only meat, their diet have like ZERO vitamins. Yes we could say that their diet is deficient, but they're healthier than most Americans. Because meat and fish is still better than chips and Coke.

Do you just sit around all day making up non-existent facts?

From http://www.statcan.ca/Daily/English/080123/d080123d.htm

the life expectancy of Inuit residents would have been 64.2 years, or 15 years less than for Canada as a whole.

Inuit people have far shorter life expectancies than Americans. The average American now lives to almost 80 years old. Inuit data is not always complete, but estimates range from 35-60 years.

How about a little discretion before just spouting off nonsense and declaring it fact. Maybe it's all the undigestible raw food sitting in your colon.

What you're saying about Inuits... is it about the Natives that still eat their original diet, or those who have been assimilated by the American culture and eat only junk food... Diseases strike those nations a lot because they're not adapted yet to all the junk food.

Also, Inuits in nature don't have hospitals and doctors...Most of the 80 years old Americans you're talking about are on pills for the last 20 years of their life, some others are connected to a machine.

If you have something against raw foodists or against raw foods, just say it clearly instead of talking to my colon. And don't worry, I still eat lots of cooked foods

If you have something against raw foodists or against raw foods, just say it clearly instead of talking to my colon. And don't worry, I still eat lots of cooked foods

But it's so much more fun to throw in random jabs at raw foodists. To simply come out and bash them would just be mean.

Also, Inuits in nature don't have hospitals and doctors...Most of the 80 years old Americans you're talking about are on pills for the last 20 years of their life, some others are connected to a machine.

I am glad to see that some members still use their brain.

But it's so much more fun to throw in random jabs at raw foodists. To simply come out and bash them would just be mean.

I'm not in favor of bashing raw foodists. I was a raw foodist for a year when I was 14 years old. I was arrogant as well as being simply ignorant. I would have hated to have been written off as a dumbass for the rest of my life. I gradually became educated over time. DV had some comments on how easy it is for people to become misinformed in regards to nutrition.

If somebody is wrong I say politely point out the facts and let the facts speak for themselves. I think other readers have good enough judgment to disregard hooey when they read it. For the others, a fact politely stated is a seed that may come to fruition in the future even if the person insists on being ignorant in the present.

We all change.

Well, if you like so much throwing in jabs at raw foodists (you do what you want, but personnaly I find it as puerile as omnis against vegans), how about receiving some jabs once in a while?

Maybe it's all the undigestible cooked food that goes to your brain and steamed it that makes you say this? ... just throwing random jabs for fun...

I agree with Nobbi, we need to use our brain. Some people just relay on other's brains to think for themselves, like reading studies and "facts" without thinking. Many of those "facts" will mysteriously change the year after or in the next study.

I agree with Nobbi, we need to use our brain. Some people just relay on other's brains to think for themselves, like reading studies and "facts" without thinking. Many of those "facts" will mysteriously change the year after or in the next study.

No they do not, facts are facts. Scientists are very careful to call things theories until they are absolutely sure they know what they are talking about. This is the reverse of many fad dieters who reason backwards from an ideal vision of the world that pleases them. IMHO you get much further by looking at what is first, then drawing conclusions.

No they do not, facts are facts. Scientists are very careful to call things theories until they are absolutely sure they know what they are talking about. This is the reverse of many fad dieters who reason backwards from an ideal vision of the world that pleases them. IMHO you get much further by looking at what is first, then drawing conclusions.

What I meant is : the conclusions they made out of facts. When you read the results of a study, you can interpret those results the way you want, and that's also what the people who conducts those studies do. Facts are facts, they're reality, but nothing is pure reality because each one interpret it it's own way. In the conclusion of a study, they chose to print this and ommit to print other things. Or, even if the study is impartial and tell every details, the reader will only remember what he wants to remember.

For instance, that link of a study on lifetime of Inuits, http://www.statcan.ca/Daily/English/080123/d080123d.htm, michaelhobson omits to say that :

"Analysis of the 2001 Census data revealed lower levels of education and income and poorer housing conditions for the Inuit-inhabited areas compared with Canada as a whole. Any or all of these, in addition to lifestyle risk factors and environmental conditions, could be at least partly responsible for the lower life expectancy in those areas."

I live in Quebec, where those studies have been made, I've seen with my own eyes how Inuits forced to live in civilization have had their life quality deteriorated. They live in shitty small houses for a whole family of many generations, they don't have any self-esteem, they depressed and unemployed, Inuit kids have one of the highest rate of suicides in the world. They eat really bad, their main source of food is butter. So of course their life expectancy is lower than average Canadians, but it's lower than Inuits still living in igloos and eating fish, polar bears, seahorses and trapped animals.

I'm never gonna say that Inuit strictly meat diet is healthy, or that a very strict fruitarian diet is healthy when avoiding on purpose a healthy fruit like avocado. But common, why some people say that a raw vegan diet is not healthy or defiecient? It's pretty much the same foods than on a cooked vegan diet, just that it isn't cooked... What's the big deal? If someone say that the digestive system cannot properly digest raw foods, well I suggest you to do a check up of your colon. We live in a sick era if we think that in order to be able to digest food we need to cook it first otherwise health problems comes.

Erm so fruitarians only eat fruit - I dont really understand why they would do that myself.Theres nothing wrong with all the other food types in my opinion - is there any reasoning behind this?

As for this raw food stuff - I admit I have only just heard about this while reading this thread.

Sounds like a more healthy way to live, given that cooking just takes nutrients out of stuff.I dont see animals cruising around microwaving their lunch & they seem pretty healthy to me.Who ever suggested that our body cannot digest food raw needs in my opinion to actually think. You dont need any science to tell you thats a load of shite - you just need to use your brain!

Erm so fruitarians only eat fruit - I dont really understand why they would do that myself.Theres nothing wrong with all the other food types in my opinion - is there any reasoning behind this?

I don't think fruitarians will say that vegetables (and perhaps also seeds and nuts) are bad for health, but that they're not necessary for a good health.

http://www.thefruitpages.com/rightnutrition.shtml

Personnally I wouldn't be concerned about my health eating only fruits for the summer. But I wouldn't do this all year long except if I lived in California or some place like that.

About Bigbwii the fruitarian, we see in his small video that his diet doesn't seem to make him weak or sick. He's doing about 20 one-arm pull-ups and things like that. If his diet would become insuffisant later, he would just need to add some seeds and nuts, avocados, he still would be fruitarian.

Video: "Frutarian Fitness : The Body" on http://fruitarianfitness.ning.com/[/url]

I mean look, I'm not saying these people would neccesarily be unhealthy,

I think we could survive on almost anything.

I keep being reminded of the simpsons episode when the kids are stranded & lisa survives by licking slime off of rocks - while the other kids kill & eat a boar.

So do you only eat fruit in summer? If not dont you eat vegetables? My very brief understanding of Raw foodists (you are?) is vegans who dont cook anything?

Please explain

Oh by the way, I believe that buddhist monks only eat foods or liquids that are at room temperature {just randomly of interest perhaps}