Candy goes from grose to musculous!

nutritional advice on how to get a better memory?

I sense sarcasm, but load up on flax seed, chia seed, and green vegetables. There's also vegan DHA sourced from algae if you've got the money. Pretty costly

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nutritional advice on how to get a better memory?

I sense sarcasm, but load up on flax seed, chia seed, and green vegetables. There's also vegan DHA sourced from algae if you've got the money. Pretty costly

Just to play dietician I wanna warn you about using too much flax seeds because there is a potential risk for cyanide poisoning. Flax oil is a better choice in my opinion.

I would also like to hear about the vegan bodybuilding article, a summary would be awesome!

I'm still shocked about your progress, I can't believe it only took you 10 months. You look awesome, being fit really fits you. If that makes sense. I showed your pictures to a friend of mine and she got stoked about lifting weights and loosing weight (which she really needs to do), so thank you for that.

Totally amazing!!! I'm no expert, but maybe part of the reason why you don't have the extra skin (which was mentioned earlier) is because you lost the weight over 10 months- not really quick like with liposuction. Anyway, great job! Like everyone else has said, you're very inspiring. It takes an insane amount of determination and self-discipline to do what you did, and not many people have that! Did you also quit smoking?

Edited by j4779

Thanks to Zack and xjohanx for the advice, I'll look into the seeds and stuff.

npx: I lost about 30 kilos or 66 pounds. I didn't really count the calories that often, but my intake was sometimes really just too low, like 700 kcal... I'm lousy on taking things slowly, I just like to get things over and done with, so sometimes i exaggerate a little. With a little bit more will power i could have lost the weight 'properly', but at least I'm eating correctly (and enough) now.

j4779: yeah, i quit smoking (and drinking and over-eating and being a vegetarian and and...). A lot of quitting. Or starting new!

Someone e-mailed me to ask if i have any advice on how to loose weight, as i've done it successfully in such a short time. I tought maybe there are others intrested in this too, so i decided to post my answer here too:

The most usual mistake people make, when trying to drop weight by exercise, is that they actually start to eat more. You get the best results if you both exercise and have a calorie intake that is less than you consume. If you want to have any chances to both drop your weight and build muscle, you have to make sure you eat a lot of protein.

My advice is that you leave out all the pasta-and-bread-stuff, eat lots of tofu, soy-products, seitan, beans etc., vegetables (raw or cooked) and make sure that you get all essential fats also, so use like a tablespoon of oil, like hemp oil (good proportion of omega 3, 6 and 9) and olive oil, for every meal. Oils are important for nutritions to get absorbed, so leaving out the fat from your diet is almost the same as not eating at all, lol. When i was dieting, my meals usually consisted of 1/3 protein and 2/3 vegetables, fried with oil. If you want to eat pasta-and-bread-stuff, make sure it's whole grain so you don't get any "empty" calories without nutrition. I always use stuff like quinoa (really high in protein), bulgur, whole wheat pasta or mixed root vegetables instead of white pasta or potatoes (they even taste better!).

My most common meals while dieting were: fried vegetables with tofu or textured soy and puree soups with vegetables + lentils/textured soy/beans. I think it's important to eat your daily meals, but everything else needs to be left out. So enough of real food with nutritients to get by. If you really really really want to eat treats, i suggest you to choose stuff with minimum calories, so there's no way to avoid sweeteners if you're going to eat candy... Alcohol is also totally a no-no as it is really high in calories, and at least i had problems with not eating everything i got my hands on when i was hung-over. Alcohol also has an effect on how good workouts you can do, and it had an huge impact on my spirit.

And for the exercise: aerobic exercise if by far the most effective. On my diet i used to have 2-3 aerobic exercises and 1-2 bodybuilding exercises per week. You also have to keep your heart rate low enough, the exercise doesn't burn as much fat if your heart rate goes over 160. First i used to walk briskly, excersize on the stepper, bicycle or, lol, hydro run When i started to get into better condition, I mainly jogged/ran in intervals or exercised on the stepper. All in all i exercised four times a week for about one hour at a time.

You shouldn't look at your weight that much, body fat percentage is really much more important, as muscle weighs much more than fat. If you can't test your bfp somewhere, you can always measure your waist and look at that number rather than the weight. I've been the same weight for a couple of months now, but i can even see myself that my fat percentage is lower and my muscles bigger, so i've actually kept loosing weight even if the scale says i havn't!

You also have to keep your heart rate low enough, the exercise doesn't burn as much fat if your heart rate goes over 160.

Not strictly true. You don't burn as much fat as a percentage of total calories burned. You still burn more fat with a heart rate of 180 than you do with a heart rate of 160.

Ok, thanks for the correction blabbate, that makes sense. I think the effect is the same though, because you can't exercise for as long with a heartrate 180 as with a heartrate 160 (lol i can't even get my heartrate over 175). I think the most effective for burning fat, getting a better oxygen intake and improving your condition in all is interval training.

make sure that you get all essential fats also, so use like a tablespoon of oil, like hemp oil (good proportion of omega 3, 6 and 9) and olive oil, for every meal. Oils are important for nutritions to get absorbed, so leaving out the fat from your diet is almost the same as not eating at all, lol.

Omega 9 is not essential and the ratio between n-3:n-6:n-9 has nothing to do with health as far as I know. Hemp oil is better than some oils, like soy, sunflower and peanut oil, when it comes to n-3:n-6 ratio but I think it's like 1:3 or 1:4 which isn't really great. Canola/rapeseed is still the best cooking oil when it comes to n-3. Regarding oils to help nutrient absorption I have a few objections. Here:

If you want to eat pasta-and-bread-stuff, make sure it's whole grain so you don't get any "empty" calories without nutrition.

you make a very valid point, empty calories suck. But you fail to see that oils are just as "empty", if not even more, as white bread and pasta. Go for nuts and seeds instead, they provide both micronutrients, fiber and the fat needed to absorb certain nutrients (allthough I'm not sure how valid this argument is since no real food is totally fat free).

I always use stuff like quinoa (really high in protein), bulgur, whole wheat pasta or mixed root vegetables instead of white pasta or potatoes (they even taste better!).

First off quinoa isn't really high in protein, it's like 14 grams per 100, whole wheat is like 12-13 grams. The quality of the protein is however better. Potatoes are a lot more nutritious per calorie than whole wheat pasta and is according to me a pretty good food. Regular boiled potatoes provide a lot of satiety per calorie.

I know the stuff you wrote is what worked for you, so I'm not arguing against you or anything. It's just for the sake of clarity.

Otherwise I would agree that tofu/tvp plus veggies is a great meal for weight loss. I usually make this but water-"fry" it instead of using oils.

xjohanx: Concerning the fats: i was just trying to make a point, i think leaving fats out isn't an option at all, because i've seen what that can do to dieting vegans. I agree with you on the nuts and seeds, i just didn't think about it when i was writing. Quinoa is high in protein if you compare it to similar foods and really high if you compare it to regular pasta, not if you compare it to, say, tofu. And this part isn't about nutrition as much as it is about hunger. I get hungry in an hour if i eat potatoes, i get hungry in three hours if i eat, say, bulgur or quinoa and don't get hungry at all if i leave out the carb-stuff completely and just eat the tofu and veggies. The more protein i eat, the less i get hungry. The less i am hungry, the less i eat on the next meal. If i eat a lollipop that has sugar in it, i get hungry, if i eat one that hasn't, i don't. Hunger is a really big issue for me, as I'm a recovering binge eater. So hunger never really is an option for me.

Concerning the fats: i was just trying to make a point, i think leaving fats out isn't an option at all, because i've seen what that can do to dieting vegans.

Agree to disagree. I've seen people cure type 2 diabetes, IBS, acne, constipation and lots of other things on very low fat vegan diets. Also they loose a lot of weight. Very positve results have also shown when trying the diet in research.

Quinoa is high in protein if you compare it to similar foods and really high if you compare it to regular pasta, not if you compare it to, say, tofu.

No. Regular pasta is made from durum wheat which has 13% of calories from protein, 14 grams per 100.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5741/2

Quinoa has 14% of calories from protein, but also 14 grams per 100.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5705/2

Neither is what I would consider to be high in protein.

And this part isn't about nutrition as much as it is about hunger. I get hungry in an hour if i eat potatoes

Some people might feel differently about potatoes but the fact is it scores higher satiety in every test than other foods. One test published in European Journal of Clinical Nutrition (not available online) where they used 240 calorie portions with white bread as an index (100) boiled potatoes scored 323 (compared to oatmeal at 209, french fries at 116 and lots of other common foods). It was the highest rank of them all.

Regarding hunger, Joel Fuhrman talks a lot about hunger and how it's connected with our overall micronutrient intake in his book Eat to live, if you are interested you should read it.

i get hungry in three hours if i eat, say, bulgur or quinoa and don't get hungry at all if i leave out the carb-stuff completely and just eat the tofu and veggies. The more protein i eat, the less i get hungry.

Makes all the sense in the world. Protein (tofu) gives the absolutely best satiety per calorie compared with carbs and fats, hands down. And fiber (veggies) is great for hunger control because it fills your stomach up and slows down the release of the food to your duodenum.

oh well, i'm not interested in arguing with you at all, xjohanx, i just get sad and angry. This is how my body reacts and feels and what i've learned about nutrition. There's no point in arguing as long as i don't remember what the sources of my arguments are. Sure potato fills your stomache, but that's about it, it doesn't have any fiber but is high in starch so i get hungry if i eat potato. I don't eat fries, pasta or bread either, and when i eat oatmeal, it really isn't oatmeal, because over half of it consist of fibers (linen, bran...), protein (soy bean crush, textured soy protein...) and fruits and berries.

I don't think it's really nice to get stuck on every word that doesn't fit the purpose exactly (like "very high in protein"), especially when english really isn't my mother tongue. It's hard enough to get myself understood even without someone coming to read the text punctually and disagreeing with every badly maken choise of words. I really get the feeling that i just shouldn't say anything anymore because i'm really bad at arguing and worse on getting my toughts out from my head as i mean to.

I have to defend quinoa here. Even though 15 % of its calories come from protein, it has very high quality protein!

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5705/2

...whereas amino acid score of regular macaroni is less than half of quinoa's:

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5822/2

That makes quinoa WAY better protein source than regular pasta. And if you check the amount of nutrients, quinoa is kicking ass 100-0.

I have to defend quinoa here. Even though 15 % of its calories come from protein, it has very high quality protein!

Which is what I wrote here.

First off quinoa isn't really high in protein, it's like 14 grams per 100, whole wheat is like 12-13 grams. The quality of the protein is however better.

I just disagree with the term "high in protein" and that quinoa would be much higher in protein compared to similar foods, like grains.

I don't think it's really nice to get stuck on every word that doesn't fit the purpose exactly (like "very high in protein"), especially when english really isn't my mother tongue.

But basically quinoa is pretty low in protein and that is the opposite of what you said. I don't get stuck on "every" word, not even close.

English isn't my first language either and my grammar sucks so I too make errors when writing here. However, you claimed that pasta was much lower in protein compared with quinoa and that doesn't seem to be a language barrier holding you back, since you basically wrote it two times.

CANDY, SOOOO amazing!! also, SOOOOO inspirational!! Keep up the good work and thanks so much for sharing your first hand experience and the insight that you have gained.

I still have some "baby weight" to lose (about 20 lbs) even though my "baby" is 2 years old, so I am always looking for inspiration... you have definitely provided me with some!!

I actually envy your chest... it is much nicer than having the sad shells of boobs that I have after 2 pregnancies and about 5 (combined) years of breastfeeding. So enjoy those small tits while you can! haha. I only wish I could go bra-less without frightening the people around me!!

Edited by veganmama