Hanging Back Contest

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in short no!

im strong (ish) on exercises that move weight. but because of my high body weight, anything that involves pressing/pulling it around im usually pretty weak.

one thing i do want to try, that ryan does occasionally is one arm clean and pressing with a barbell. i think that ive done 35kg before (not at all hard) and i might be good for 45-50kg at the moment...

jonathan

• 6 months later...

My record was about 1 minute 40 seconds. Daywalker's record was over 2 minutes, something like 2:16.

Today we hung on bars facing each other, just 4 feet separating us. I figured I had no chance since I was feeling week, still feeling ill and trying to recover.

We faced off (literally) and hung, and hung, and hung, and after 2 minutes 44 seconds Daywalker's grip ran out and he dropped. 4 seconds later my feet touched the group and I celebrated.

I told everyone! We both got personal bests and I beat the mighty German who I've always looked up to.

Then Crystal and veganpotter decided to give it a go. Neither thought they'd last long, but BOTH beat my NEW record and Crystal went over 3 minutes!!!!!

Crystal finished with 3 minutes 11 seconds and potter was just shy of 3 minutes at about 2 minutes 52 seconds.

We will have to battle again, next time, all 4 of us (and others) hanging at the same time......to decided the official champion...and if I don't win, we'll re-due it

We will have to battle again, next time, all 4 of us (and others) hanging at the same time......to decided the official champion...and if I don't win, we'll re-due it

Robert will be too tired to redo it so he'll have Richard do some crazy CG trick that leaves the other three of us crying while Robert eats a vega bar and demolishes us hanging with one hand and eating a vega bar with the other.

I haven't done ANY real strength training for almost a year...give me a little time and I'll do hangs instead of my 3-4 hour sleep sessions...its not like my short sleep does anything so I should just hang from my hands and work on my forarm strength instead of wasting my time trying to sleep.

You guys are talking big now, but what you don't mention is that i worked out yesterday, doing deadlift and rows, and that i did tons of pullups, chin ups, and a few pullups with claps before the hanging today. As you see, you're not the only ones with an excuse ready, so next time better watch out, cos i'll kick your tiny asses!

As soon as Daywalker finished he said it only takes him about 30 seconds to recover so I don't think his excuse for doing a hard workout the day before makes any sense.

Excuses, excuses everyone! That's all I've been hearing .

Pictures from today's competition, the face off begins!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/vegancrystal/Portland/DSCF0036.jpg

The defeated Daywalker:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/vegancrystal/Portland/DSCF0041.jpg

Now Potter and me see what we can do with low expectations :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/vegancrystal/Portland/DSCF0043.jpg

Yes! We rock VP

You can move as much as you want so long as you don't touch the ground...you wouldn't want to though because you would waste a ton of energy and kill your grip

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have a chin up bar so I just found a tree limb. first attempt on this actually surprised myself. I thought I would fall after 20 seconds or so but stayed on for 53 seconds. Three minutes is awesome. Maybe a year or more from now and I might approach that mark. Congrats.

boliver

• 10 months later...

I just did another one of these timed hangs from the gym. I got 1 minute 45 seconds as my best effort on a slippery bar.

Also, just yesterday I was visiting Mt. Tabor for the 2nd time this week. That was the location I set the record on, only to be passed up by veganpotter and Crystal minutes later (as seen in photos above).

Anyone else tried this? I should change it to grip contest or forearm or something like that since those seem to be trained more than the back in this exercise.

I could hang for 5 minutes at least. I used to work out for 5-10 minutes doing nothing but various pullups and chinups and not touch the ground. i would just hang if i couldnt pull myself up.

now i dont think i could hang for a minutes if i tried. cant wait to get back to lifting

I remember in high school we had to do the flexed bar hang as part of our fitness testing. That means holding yourself up at the top of chinup for as long as possible. I was albe to get just over a minute at that time. I'm be interested to try the straight hanging though.

Its really weird...when I did it I never even got tired. It went straight from being comfortable to being extremely painful.

I don't know anyone who can do it over 4 minutes. A very light martial arts guy from my old workplace hung for over 3 1/2 minutes. I'd love to see a video or testimonial of a really long hang. In the movies it seems so easy, and most people think they can hang for minutes, but really, "most" people can't last over 1 minute, and very few can make it past 2 minutes.