Hanging Back Contest

Great job everyone!

I tried again to beat the record (my own record is 1:52), but I was well short with a 1:39.

I think we all drop for different reasons; grip fails, forearms burn, the shoulders get heavy and sore, or the back doesn't want to take any more.

Pushing yourself to the limit in something like this is fun, because it never lasts more than a few minutes. Pushing yourself to the limit, in say, a marathon race would be so taxing on the body, but this contest is just fun!

A lot of mental strength is involved as well. There is a lot to think about while you hang there, a powerful mind can extend your time by a significal amount. Focus on the mind and see how it makes a difference for you.

I am with some of you...I think it is my forearms that go out first, but no doubt the back is training as well.

I too will attempt anoter go of it soon, maybe a few times this week. I might work on some grip strength exercises as well.

Best of luck, HANG in there!

-Robert

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in a rut!

I'm getting stronger but my back hang isn't getting better. After I got 1:48 and 1:52, my last two attempts have been 1:39 and today 1:29.

My forearms were on FIRE!

I'm still working towards 2 minutes, not giving up, just seem to be moving in the wrong direction.

Anyone setting new personal records?

-Robert

I've decided to join this little contest. Two questions first. In what position are your thumbs? Are they wrapped around the bar or on top of the bar? Usually when I do pullups my thumbs are positioned over the bar. Also have any of you tried adding weight while hanging as a way to build up your grip strength?

By 'position' I assume you mean 'pozzish'. If that's the case, then I think you can put the thumbs in any pozzish that you like, although I guess I am not the law on this subject.

I hadn't thought of adding weights to myself to help grip, that's a good idea. I have a forearm strengthening device that I use for grip training, and I used to have those spring things that you clench, although they're not that hawt, because they don't provide much rezish (resistance).

Hey, rich,

you want really hard spring type grippers CoC (captains of crush) are ace, as is the Ivanko super gripper. they make any supermarket style gripper seem like nothing!

CoC http://www.ironmind.com/ironcms/opencms/ironmind/

Ivanko http://www.fractionalplates.com/cgi-bin/edatcat/PDAstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=9.12

I actually bought an Ironmind super squat belt for all my weight hanging needs. I've found you can do belt squats, hang weights from either front or back positions. I've even got my girlfriend to sew (yes, my girlfriends sews & I don't, that must make me a sexist pig ) a couple of shoulder harresses that I can attach & I reckon I could tow a vehicle with it Cool

Thanks, thats cool inflamation Pete, I will examine those links with my eyes. A shoulder harness sounds badass!

Damn american stow'z (stores). There must be a British alternulative? Packaging and delivery time from american generally is an ass, but sometimes it's okay though

Pullum sports in the UK does most of this stuff, but it works out more expensive than shipping from the US (?)http://www.pullumsports.com/index.html . But they do do some crazy stuff like atlas stones (which my girlfriend promised to make over the summer break, but hasn't ) & a nice selection of books you wont see most places.

I often do shop with them as they do support a lot of strength events & are descendants of W.A. Pullum (Famous British strongman & World record holder of the early 20th Century), check him out if you want to see how the oldtimers did it

HAHAha, what a great topic. I'm at work and I got bored, 2 minutes even, I think I could do better though but my hands started to hurt.

2 minutes on your first try!

Man, I've been doing this for weeks and weeks and 1:52 is my BEST! and there have been plenty of 1:20's in there when I'm not even close to my record.

I'll keep on working at it.

Today a martial arts guy I work with claimed to get over 4 minutes. I'm a bit skeptical (sp). I have a rock-climbing-martial arts friend I'm going to have do it. I think he could get over 3 minutes. He crushes me in grip strength contests.

Keep on Hanging around - Josh, let's see you break the record of 2:16 is that it? It's by Daywalker. Give him a challenge!

-Robert

rob - you ever tried a captains of crush gripper? with those monster forearms i would be curious to see what you can do.

there isnt that much over lap though to the hanging back, as grippers are more about pure power and the hanging back is endurance (probably why im crap at it! lol).

see if you can lay your hands on one - im sure you will easily close the number one and maybe eveb do the number two! they are another great mobile toy for showing that vegans are far from weak!

jonathan

Kalani and Topher,

I'm very interested to see how you guys do with this contest! I look forward to seeing the results.

Jonathan-I've never tried any gripping devices, not sure how I'd do.

I just look like Popeye sometimes, not as strong as him though

Thin Thin Flat Him

OK I gave this a try & managed 1min 15 secs with 5Kg loading pin attached to me trusty Super squat belt, bit disappointed about that. I had just done chins, bent over rows & shrugs (no straps), but I thought I'd get 2 mins no problems (before I did my rotator cuffs in I used to be the base doing trapeze. At one point I could one arm chin (only 1 rep, one arm) & I could hang a 10 stone women off me while on the bar. Unfortunately, I can't do it anymore & the old "use it or lose it" saying seems to have come true as I seem to have lost it a fair bit the last couple of years as I just daren't risk my shoulder anymore, with crazy trapeze antics (much as I used to enjoy it)

Topher used to do gymnastics I seem to remember, so all that work on the rings should mean he'd be able to do a good deal of time I'd imagine...

Hey Daywalker,

When I beat you in the back hang, I'll be doing this!

http://www.evrimgallery.com//temp/Tulips/robert.gif

Back attack....come get some!

-Thin Thin Flat Him

Lol, Robert!

The world is SO glad that you'll NEVER beat me!

Thanks for the animation, buddy (another thing we didn't want to see ).

Actually i tried to improve my own best yesterday but failed. I need K-oz to take the time again

And all the others, it's cool you're in! I'm looking forward to see incredible times from Topher and Josh here! I know kollision is very strong, but probably too heavy to hang there for very long - prove me wrong, Kalani!

Love and peace,

D.

Hey Daywalker,

When I beat you in the back hang, I'll be doing this!

http://www.evrimgallery.com//temp/Tulips/robert.gif

Back attack....come get some!

-Thin Thin Flat Him

Lol, Robert!

The world is SO glad that you'll NEVER beat me!

Thanks for the animation, buddy (another thing we didn't want to see ).

Actually i tried to improve my own best yesterday but failed. I need K-oz to take the time again

And all the others, it's cool you're in! I'm looking forward to see incredible times from Topher and Josh here! I know kollision is very strong, but probably too heavy to hang there for very long - prove me wrong, Kalani!

Love and peace,

D.

Exactly mate, the weights gonna play a huge issue on this. I think its easier to do pull ups than just a straight out hang, but I'll try it. Like I said, I have petite hands and it doesnt really work in my favor here hehe.

Didn't do cardio today, so I'll try this in two days.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey great job with the 1:24

The Greatest Olympia Bodybuilder of all time Lee Haney used to do this exercise to train the back.

I think it works well to train the grip, the forearms, the back, and gives a great stretch to the back and arms too.

It also trains the mind, you can add many seconds by being mentally tough.

And of course, it is for fun as well!

-Robert