Protein shakes

Bigwill

Hi. I was directed to this forum by my sister, who recently began eating vegan; it has helped her tremendously and immediately, healthwise. Since I've started to actively change my habits in order be healthier (I'm about 230 lbs heavier than I want to be), she suggested I give it a look. Although I love meat and animal products, I love my wife and son a lot more, and would be willing to give this a go.

Now that I have the background stuff out of the way

Since many protein shakes are derived from whey (which I think comes from milk), would eating a truly vegan diet exclude them? If so, are there alternative protein supplements out there that aren't derived from animal products?

Thanks

Edited by Bigwill

Welcome Will!

You don't have to worry about protein. The only ones getting too little protein are those that eat too little calories, ie they are starving.

I stopped eating meat like 5 years ago and have never really missed it.

Knowledge is important so I recommend reading The China study and Eat to Live. Both are based on scientific research. After reading them you will probably want to change your diet alot. The good news is that your chances of getting heart disease or diabetes on a whole-foods, plant-based diet are similar to that of a snowball in hell. You will also get strong protection from the most commmon cancers. The diet will feel horrible for the first few weeks and then it will taste better than your previous one. Go for it.

Edited by offense74

Agreed...you have more than enough fuel to not worry about protein for a while. I lost 85lbs trying to eat as little protein as possible and I think you should probably do the same. Its damn near impossible to suffer from a lack of protein unless you aren't eating so don't worry about that at all.

Agreed...you have more than enough fuel to not worry about protein for a while. I lost 85lbs trying to eat as little protein as possible and I think you should probably do the same. Its damn near impossible to suffer from a lack of protein unless you aren't eating so don't worry about that at all.

Did you have any problems with muscle wasting, strength loss, or athletic performance? That has been one of my biggest concerns, when it comes to the amount of weight I have to lose.

Did you have any problems with muscle wasting, strength loss, or athletic performance? That has been one of my biggest concerns, when it comes to the amount of weight I have to lose.

I'll let him answer, but I have to add, he still has a lot of muscle, his quads are huge!

No, he hasn't, he still goes on 50 mile bike rides. As long as you are eating a healthy diet and exercising, your body will burn the fat and retain the muscle. You don't need to worry about protein at all, people make too big a deal about it.

I've actually since been trying to lose muscle...and its not so easy. There a great benefit to being very overweight...you normally have a lot of extra muscle. This is especially true if you are active while being overweight. Sure you'll lose some muscle but you have way more than you need. The muscle you have was built to hold an extra 230lbs...if you lose even 20-30% of the muscle you have you should still be very muscular compared to the average person.

@Bigwill: First of all: Welcome to the forum and congrats on your (IMO) very wise decision to give veganism a try (be carfull: it usually is highly addictive )!

VP, Ad, Zack and Offense answered your questions very elaborately.

Concerning your diet I would add some suggestions: (and the others won't be surprised by the first... ):

1. Make sure you eat enough fresh fruit and vegetables. Do not make the mistake to replace animal derived junk food with vegan junk food. It maybe healthier this way but it is not a truely healthful diet IMO.

2. Start a (training) log in the corresponding forum section. This will help you to stay motivated and it is a lot easier for other members to to you advice.

3. Please write an intro-post in the corresponding section so that the other members ahve the chance to say "hello", too.

Again: Welcome and all the best for the journey you just started!

Hi. I was directed to this forum by my sister, who recently began eating vegan; it has helped her tremendously and immediately, healthwise. Since I've started to actively change my habits in order be healthier (I'm about 230 lbs heavier than I want to be), she suggested I give it a look. Although I love meat and animal products, I love my wife and son a lot more, and would be willing to give this a go.

Since many protein shakes are derived from whey (which I think comes from milk), would eating a truly vegan diet exclude them? If so, are there alternative protein supplements out there that aren't derived from animal products?

Thanks

As a vegan, you wouldn't want a whey protein drink (whey is derived from the cheese making process). If you feel the need for extra protein, there are plenty of soy based protein powders. However, as most have noted in this thread, you probably don't need as much protein as you think you do.

Since becoming a vegan, I have reduced my total protein intake dramatically. And you know what...........I'm still improving each year as a bodybuilder. All these weightlifters and bodybuilders thinking they need 2 grams of protein per pound of body weight, etc. are crazy.

Best of luck to you and welcome to the board. Peace.

Thanks

As a vegan, you wouldn't want a whey protein drink (whey is derived from the cheese making process). If you feel the need for extra protein, there are plenty of soy based protein powders. However, as most have noted in this thread, you probably don't need as much protein as you think you do.

Since becoming a vegan, I have reduced my total protein intake dramatically. And you know what...........I'm still improving each year as a bodybuilder. All these weightlifters and bodybuilders thinking they need 2 grams of protein per pound of body weight, etc. are crazy.

DrJoe. I know you are out in MA but do you think you could comment on and recommend a fitness plan & diet for me based on the GOALS I have and where I am now? (I'll post more information about it).

If might end up moving to the east coast in maybe 6 months.. and maybe meet you in person at the time. But until then.. any help would be welcome.

Thanks

DrJoe. I know you are out in MA but do you think you could comment on and recommend a fitness plan & diet for me based on the GOALS I have and where I am now? (I'll post more information about it).

If might end up moving to the east coast in maybe 6 months.. and maybe meet you in person at the time. But until then.. any help would be welcome.

Sure, I'll be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

Good Alternatives to Whey protein are Pea. Rice, Hemp, and possibly soy protein powders. I like pea and hemp the best. I don't care for the taste of rice, and I really don't feel soy protein isolate is healthy.

I definitely agree about the soy protein isolate. I avoid it. Hemp protein is my new favorite. Living Harvest makes some great stuff. Certified organic.

Good Alternatives to Whey protein are Pea. Rice, Hemp, and possibly soy protein powders. I like pea and hemp the best. I don't care for the taste of rice, and I really don't feel soy protein isolate is healthy.

I definitely agree about the soy protein isolate. I avoid it. Hemp protein is my new favorite. Living Harvest makes some great stuff. Certified organic.

Manitoba harvest and nutiva harvest are organic too.

I use Manitoba Harvest and I agree, it's good. They also make yummy hemp seeds to sprinkle on salads or eat on their own. I also use Vega meal replacement which has hemp and pea protein. Super tasty!

The great thing about vegetable protein is that is digests so easily! I was on whey protein in my competitions days and it made me bloated.

Best to you.

If you aren't looking for a completely raw source, but still want a whole foods protein powder, try finding some hemp flour. From what I have seen, it is the same as Nutiva's hemp protein (high fiber content), but is ground more finely and at a temperature which I think takes away its status as a raw food. I bought some at herbal hut, which with shipping included was four dollars a pound. Envirodriven has it cheaper, but I can't get their orders to work and they haven't helped me with any form of customer service I have requested. Another option may be defatted, heat-treated soy flour, if your stomach can handle it. Mine couldn't. I ordered 50 lbs for $50 (way way more than I needed, but I got a deep discount at this quantity) from honeyville grain (the brand is ADM, Archer Daniels Midland if you want to find another source).