So Proud...

veggieprincess

So my 9 year old daughter is a Vegetarian. She doesen't eat any meat, chicken, fish, eggs or honey but she hasn't given up dairy. I never wanted to push her, so since she NEVER EVER wants to eat any animals or honey, I figure she will come to the decision not to do dairy on her own.

So yesterday at school she was offered some cookies from a box and she read the ingredients and saw they had honey in them so she didn't want them. The friend that offered them to her said to her; "You whimp" because she didn't eat honey.

Without hesitation, she said back to her, "What if you were allergic to honey and I called you a whimp for not eating it, how would you like that?". The friend had nothing to say back to that one.

She came up with that totally on her own. I was just beaming with pride because my daughter has had a hard time sticking up for herself in the past. Apparently not when it comes to her Vegetarian morals!! So cool!

That is great

Both that your daughter is so clever, consequent, cute and ethical, AND that you're so proud of her! It's so important for kids to have loving, proud, supporting parents!

But - 9 year old daughter?

That means you must be at least 9 years older than you look in the pics of you i saw in the forum... or they were a decade old

I'd be a rubbish parent. I couldn't do what is necessary to get a kid to become vegan. I know that the best thing to do is leave them to make their own decision, and educate them as best as possible. But the problem with that is that I don't trust that they'd end up going vegan, and if they didn't then I'd be disappointed with them and want to sell them at the earliest opportunity

It's really not that difficult to be a vegetarian growing up. I was born vegetarian, and now that there are so many vegan alternatives to dairy I think it could easily be done vegan. Of course dairy products can be quite addictive, and that's where I believe the difficulty lies. I suppose that's why some young people have a hard time making this change.

• 2 weeks later...
But the problem with that is that I don't trust that they'd end up going vegan, and if they didn't then I'd be disappointed with them and want to sell them at the earliest opportunity

LOL. Yes, it might not be wise to reproduce until you workout the desire to sell your child when they dissapoint you

Watching people, it seems to me like people go back to the values of their parents starting in their mid 20's, unless they had severely incompetent parents, assholes for parents, or they had some major life/value changing experience.

Walking your own talk and raising your kids right with lots of love seems to be the most effective way to make sure they turn out a certain way.

Wow that's great! What a smart girl. I have a little girl 4, and she's into the veggie thing right now. Likes to tell people she's a vegetarian, and she doesn't eat animals. We worry about when she gets older though, lots of peer pressure and negitive info out there. I hope she has the strength of your little one when she is 9.