Do you use a Mac or PC?

robert

Do you use a Mac or PC?  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just curious for fun.

I've been listening to a lot of youtube videos with Steve Jobs and Bill Gates for fun lately and I thought I'd post this survey.

Reasons for your choices?

I use Dell PC's myself, laptop and Desktop. That is just what I'm familiar with, but I'd like to explore Mac World sometime.

I've been watching this kind of stuff:

good idea Robert. I'm curious to see the percentage. I guess there's still more PC users, but Mac definitely became more popular during the last couple of years.

I bought a PC about 5 years ago and it never really worked, because of a virus I think but everytime I paid to have it repaired it was even worse, it's like if there were many other problems.

After a year I got rid of it and bought an iMac.

I never had a single problem since I'm on Mac, not even a small bug in more than 3 years. I find it's just better computers than PC overall, better interface, everything.

I think I'm using Tiger now, and the new version of Mac Os is Panther, right ? I tried it for a few minutes and it's amazing. I should buy it and also a portable iBook instead of the desktop I have.

And from an ethical point of view, I prefer being a consumer of Apple rather than Microsoft, it's still considered more "intelligent consumerism", but also Mac are the best choice for artists, while PCs are more for office workers or video gamers :P

-

Way back in the day when our children were young I was sold on Apple, I had a choice at the time and being mainly for the kids benifit I bought one. Only at the time they had a choice of the IIGS or the MAC. The MAC didn't have color at the time, but the IIGS did. Well after a short time Apple put all there money into the MAC and I was left with a dinosaur with no software, because all the software venders were writing for the MAC. It cost me over $2000.00 at the time and I didn't have much money. Screw Apple

Robert, I think you need to add "other" to the list. I guess I'm on x86 hardware, but so are most Mac users these days. I have been running Linux only since about 2003 and only use windows occasionally when required at work. One of the first things I did when I joined my recent company was wipe my PC and drop Linux on there. I've also used OpenBSD a bit and Solaris in school on vastly different hardware. And while I doubt there's many people on here that use those systems, I'm sure at least a few run Linux. So mark me down for other

Sorry for the rant, but you asked for it!

Robert, I think you need to add "other" to the list. I guess I'm on x86 hardware, but so are most Mac users these days. I have been running Linux only since about 2003 and only use windows occasionally when required at work. One of the first things I did when I joined my recent company was wipe my PC and drop Linux on there. I've also used OpenBSD a bit and Solaris in school on vastly different hardware. And while I doubt there's many people on here that use those systems, I'm sure at least a few run Linux. So mark me down for other

Sorry for the rant, but you asked for it!

Yeah, I put "Mac" since I have an iBook G4 and generally run Leopard OS X, but I also have Linux on my machine, and every other computer I've owned since 2001 I've either dual-booted Windows and Linux or run Linux (Ubuntu, Debian, Mandrake, Red Hat, and a couple of other distros I don't recall) exclusively on them. I haven't used Linux much lately because Airport Extreme (the Broadcom 4318 is what it actually is) is a really hard wireless card to get to work under Linux, so I can only use it if I plug in.

As liftandcode pointed out, recent-vintage Macs use the same basic architecture (x86) as PCs (and can even run Windows if you want to put yourself through that torture! ) so basically Apple is now a PC manufacturer, just one that installs an operating system (OS X) on their computers that is far superior to Windows in security, stability, usability, and every other way. Linux is very good also for many purposes, has the same rock-solid Unix-based security and stability of OS X, and also unlike OS X is completely free and open-source.

My machine is about 4 years old, so it's one of the last Mac computers using the Power PC processor rather than an Intel x86 one. In other words, it doesn't (can't) do Windows, just Unix-based systems like OS X and Linux.

I use Ubuntu Linux on a custom built PC.

If I wasn't into Linux I would use a Mac and I tell all of my non-IT savy friends who are in the market for a computer to buy a Mac. Macs are better built, MUCH easier to use, require less maintenance, last longer and have fewer virus/spyware problems.

In addition to all of the problems PCs running Microsoft Windows usually have there are many MORE problems PCs running Microsoft Windows Vista has. Vista is a dud. Vista is so bad the New York Times had an entire article about how bad it is, even quoting microsoft executives who couldn't get it to work.

Vista was supposed to innovative, but the project was mismanaged and vista was released before it was ready.

I advise everyone to hang onto their computers until a revised edition of Vista comes out, use Ubuntu Linux on their PC instead, or buy a Mac for the easiest, best solution.

As liftandcode pointed out, recent-vintage Macs use the same basic architecture (x86) as PCs (and can even run Windows if you want to put yourself through that torture! ) so basically Apple is now a PC manufacturer,.

I wouldn't say that Apple is a PC manufacturer.

Comparing a box by a PC manufacturer like a Dell or an HP to a Mac would be like comparing a Franken box built out of mismatched spare parts by the local IT geek to a professionally built Dell or HP box.

Apple is strict about the parts they use and they make sure all of the parts tightly integrate with the OS for that "just works" effect. People buy Macs not for the particulars of the OS so much, but that "just works" effect produced by that tight integration. For example, picking up any peripheral like a camera, plugging it in, and having everything just work. No futzing with settings, not dowloading of drivers, no pop-ups with technical questions.

As liftandcode pointed out, recent-vintage Macs use the same basic architecture (x86) as PCs (and can even run Windows if you want to put yourself through that torture! ) so basically Apple is now a PC manufacturer,.

I wouldn't say that Apple is a PC manufacturer.

Comparing a box by a PC manufacturer like a Dell or an HP to a Mac would be like comparing a Franken box built out of mismatched spare parts by the local IT geek to a professionally built Dell or HP box.

Apple is strict about the parts they use and they make sure all of the parts tightly integrate with the OS for that "just works" effect. People buy Macs not for the particulars of the OS so much, but that "just works" effect produced by that tight integration. For example, picking up any peripheral like a camera, plugging it in, and having everything just work. No futzing with settings, not dowloading of drivers, no pop-ups with technical questions.

What parts, specifically, are different/better in Macs than in PCs? Not saying you're wrong, just that I'm not aware of any evidence that the majority of the components used in a Mac (I think the motherboard might be) are much different than a comparably priced and featured PC. The processor in current Macs is, in fact, exactly the same as in the majority of PCs--dual or quad core Intel. Also, the wireless card (Airport Extreme, or Airport on older Macs) is manufactured by Broadcom and is the same wireless card found in many PCs. The Airport Extreme card in my iBook G4 is a Broadcom 4318, and in all honesty it sucks. (Ironically, I lost my wireless connection and had to restart Airport as I was typing that very sentence!) Very unstable connection with some routers. As for getting it to work in Linux, unless I turn off the security on my router, forget it! I spent several days trying a few months ago, and I eventually gave up, which is the main reason why I do almost everything in OS X rather than Linux these days; it's too inconvenient to go plug my laptop into the router.

Don't get me wrong, I like my Mac a lot; it's about four years old, but is a very good machine still if you don't mind a little slower processor and less memory than what a new PC or Mac would have. But the reason why stuff "just works" better in Macs than in Windows machines (or machines running Linux, thus far) is the operating system, not the hardware. OS X is designed so that, for example, installing new software involves nothing more than dragging the .dmg file from your desktop to the Applications folder. Most everything else is that easy, too, because the OS makes it so; it has nothing to do with the hardware. The virtual immunity of OS X to viruses is largely because it's a Unix-based system rather than Windows crap (and secondarily because OS X doesn't yet have a big enough market share to be a major target of hackers). Ditto for the fact that it's somewhat more stable than XP and vastly more so than Vista. Macs (both the computers themselves and the desktop and graphics) look way cooler than PCs, too. But as far as functionality, the difference between Macs and PCs is mainly in the operating system.

When I worked for a publishing company in Georgia I used a Mac. They are so nice for Desktop Publishing. I loved it!!! At the time (1996) Mac computers weren't as compatible with other computers. When I made my first computer purchase, I bought an IBM compatible computer. I later accepted a position in Missouri (2000) where I traveled and presented to groups all over the state. Part of this position also required a lot of Desktop Publishing. I would have loved to have had a Mac for that however it wasn't compatible for my presentations. I think the Mac is the best computer however it has only been the compatibility with other computers that has kept me from owning one. I haven't researched them lately. I have heard there have been major improvements with compatibility.

I have a G5 2Ghz x 2 and an intel mac mini at home. The mini has dual boot the G5 is my main machine. At work I have an intel iMac (dual boot) where I test run stuff. It's inside an microsoft enterprise environment and it works really well. We use AdmitMac to put the macs in the AD. I've also played around with Ubuntu a bit. One of our mail servers (it's on the outside of the isa) is a HP-UX machine that uses ksh as a shell and I do minor stuff on that one too.

The microsoft server products works really well and if you put clients on these system you'll get a good environment for a decent price IMO. Standalone, Mac or Linux (read Ubuntu) takes the price.

...I think the Mac is the best computer however it has only been the compatibility with other computers that has kept me from owning one. I haven't researched them lately. I have heard there have been major improvements with compatibility.

They are, in fact, completely compatible with Windows programs now because they use the same processor as PCs and can therefore run Windows as well as OS X. They can be set up either to run Windows from within OS X or to boot one or the other operating system. (The PowerPC chip that Macs made before about 3 years ago ran on would not run Windows; hence the incompatibility.) The drawback to running Windows on a Mac, though, is that your computer is then just as susceptible to viruses (when you're in Windows) as any other computer that runs Windows, so you have to be just as careful about viruses as if you had a PC.

definitely mac has everything you need for home and pro user.

everything is compatible, and you can even install windows on the mac for those applications not made for mac *(which is rare nowadays(

with windows you need to be quite advanced and install lots of stuff running in the background for the machine to function with no viruses, mac has no big trouble with it.

Macs are so wonderful.... I grew up with PC's and can't count how many times I had to completely 'reboot' them due to viruses and such. I'll never go back!

(On the other hand... it is frustrating how incompatible certain things are with macs.... like consumer camcorders. But I feel like those issues are slowly being resolved. The idea that I can't plug a $1200 camera into final cut is ridiculous.)