What is a Keto diet and does it work ?

It is a process of putting yourself in a state of ketoacidosis, very dangerous unless you can properly do it.

It happens when your body burns fats as its primary food source.

Eat mostly protein and veggies to get your calories.

Hope this helps

From what I've read your carbs should be at 30 or under...

That would be 120 calories from carbs, so if you were getting 2K then that would be a little over 5 percent of calories from carbs. 95 percent from Protein and fat. That sounds like a recipe for disaster

200g of peanuts =

42g of carbs

96g of fat

50g of protein

1140 calories

So that's already over for the carbs, if you want to make up the calories to near 2000 or more, I don't really see how you could do it healthily with no carbs. And you can't have more fat since you're already over just with those peanuts. Seems like a bad decision to me.

Ketosis and ketoacidosis are two different things, Tom. Look it up.

AFAIK:

You don't have to necessarily go as low as 20-30g - anything below 100g will do the trick. It's quite effective short term and can be done on a vegan diet. The scaremongering is greatly exaggerated. Besides, protein and fat are essential, while carbs are not, so a diet lacking (or devoid of) protein and fat would be much worse. Fact is, physiological requirement for carbs is 0g/day (provided that enough calories from protein and fat are supplied), whereas you'd die pretty quickly without protein and at least a minimal amount of essential fats. More on this here: "How Many Carbohydrates Do You Need" by Lyle McDonald.

Whether you want to do it or not, is up to you. I'd recommend trying less extreme approaches first. Try keto if NOTHING else works (which isn't the case in 99/100 cases) or as a sort of "finisher" for getting rid of the last few tablespoons of adipose fat and becoming ridiculously shredded.

I had actually posted a message on Lyle's forum in regards to PSMF and whether or not you could do it as a vegan...I was literally told no it's impossible...eat meat. So yeah that was the end of that!

I know for a while I tried to cut carbs low...around 30 grams...and had a hard time doing it...probably for the best anyway i need something long term.

Purely by chance, I discovered one lazy day when I made a ton of tasty tofu scramble that I ate the entire day with this lavish bread with 11 carbs, 10 of which are fiber, that I lost a pound. And it has stayed off, not water. During the day I felt fine, the next day I was aching for carbs, so I ate some fruit in the morning and my brain felt better. So I figure I can do that 2-3 days a week, plus the 7 days a week of exercise. Some days is slow and some days HIT, but a modified not going to kill yourself version. It's working, but it's slow, which is better for the skin. Plus, I figured that since I'm using muscles with push ups and other weights that probably in the last 5 months or so, I've gained some lean mass underneath the blubber, so my weight will be higher but I look trimmer, which I do.

I also noticed, that taking a few days off and then going back, kicks it back into gear again. Plus I changed from stationary bike, to dancing, to treadmill, to leg thingy (a really cool body by jake for 10.00 I found used, cardio when you have no weights, and then 55 pounds on your rear when you use your heels). So during the thirty min., three different machines for variety.

Edited by dropSoul

Purely by chance, I discovered one lazy day when I made a ton of tasty tofu scramble that I ate the entire day with this lavish bread with 11 carbs, 10 of which are fiber, that I lost a pound. And it's stayed off, not water. During the day I felt fine, the next day I was aching for carbs, so I ate some fruit in the morning and my brain felt better. So I figure I can do that 2-3 days a week, plus the 7 days a week of exercise. Some days is slow and some days HIT, but a modified not going to kill yourself version. It's working, but it's slow, which is better for the skin. Plus, I figured that since I'm using muscles with push ups and other weights that probably in the last 5 months or so, I've gained some lean mass underneath the blubber, so my weight will be higher but I look trimmer, which I do.

I also noticed, that taking a few days off and then going back, kicks it back into gear again. Plus I changed from stationary bike, to dancing, to treadmill, to leg thingy (a really cool body by jake for 10.00 I found used, cardio when you have no weights, and then 55 pounds on your rear when you use your heels). So during the thirty min., three different machines for variety.

Sounds like carb cycling maybe...I've read that works for some people...I keep jumping from method to method...need to just find something and stick with it for a while. Hey do you find that lavash fills you up? Whenever i make a wrap with it I seem to actually get full and stay full for a while...and what kind of lavash do you buy?? Mine doesn't have nearly as much fiber...

Sami's Bakery in Tampa, FL

Slim Trim Lavash

cal 130 per circle

Fat 2 g

Carb 22 g

Dietary Fiber 20 g

1/2 a circle is a serving.

Ingredients: Stone Ground Wehat, Bran Flower, Rolled Oat, Wheat Fiber, Sesame Seed, Millet Seet, Water, Non-Aluminum Baking Powder, Salt

It fills me up for 6 hours if I eat a whole circle with about 1-2 tbs of peanut butter and fruit spread. Breakfast when I have to work straight on deadlines. On the day I discovered the 1lb. loss and most days -- though I just eat beans and whole grains and don't watch carbs too much -- I eat small, hand fulls, throughout the day. I work at home and also have a home gym. I think I would be more ahead if I exercised in the morning, but I usually end up exercising late at night. I'm going to start morning work outs and see if I can get more done, but I'm not freaking about it any more (I was and that was probably causing cortisol and thus inhibiting fat loss). Plus I don't deny myself the occasional vegan treat, but it has to be ultra good because why waste those calories unless it's divine, right? If I did deny myself, it would backfire because then the mediation on treats would happen and then over indulgence could happen.

I hear ya! I think restricting myself is what led to my two week long binge...my diet has been ok the past few days but motivation is low and I'm sick...

I wish I could still do morning workouts...I used to about 5 years ago...and I tried again recently, but i'm so tired in the morning...and I have to be at work at 7am so it doesn't really work out. I'm starting a new workout schedule on monday...so we'll see. I'm trying not to freak out about my recent set back because I have read about the cortisol connection to inhibiting fat loss...just trying to take my time and least get on track with my diet, vitamins and start to feel better and then be back at the gym Monday. I have a decent home gym, weights, bike, dvds galore but can't motivate myself here...I give you a ton of credit!!!!!!!!!

I think Low carb diets are very dangerous and Unhealthy. It's mainly Meat and Daily industry propaganda telling people you need massive amount of animal proucts and that you only need little amounts of carbs. You need a good amount of carbs to be healthy and more so if your active. Anyone can get lean with a balanced diet with carbs being higher and fat/ protein being around the same. The only time i could see going on a low carb diet a good idea is if your a body builder and are all ready lean at 10 percent fat and looking to cut that extra 5 percent. Keep in Mind though being below like 6 percent protein isn't healthy, but people have to things that are unhealthy to compete in alot of sports.

It's funny on hear alot of people talk bad about raw food diet being radical and all that(which i agree with to a certain degree) yet people will Follow a vegan Version of akins diet which is just or more radical in a different direction

It's funny on hear alot of people talk bad about raw food diet being radical and all that(which i agree with to a certain degree) yet people will Follow a vegan Version of akins diet which is just or more radical in a different direction

It's funny to hear alot of people talk about raw food when nobody was talking about raw food in the first place.

It's funny to hear alot of people talk about raw food when nobody was talking about raw food in the first place.

Yes, but the keto diet is more radical then even a raw food diet which is thought of as crazy on here

I think Low carb diets are very dangerous and Unhealthy.

Yes, we know... you say this on any thread involving protein. And I feel like a broken record when I say... no one was asking you whether or not you feel it is healthy. You've lectured us on the evils of protein a million times... we get where you stand.

I very much agree with what xzebrasx said. You can acheive the same results/effect with slightly higher carbs than that.

I think most people on this board would say that a vegan atkins diet, if it's even possible, would be unhealthy - and I don't think there are many (or any) people following such a diet on here. And I also think that most, if not all people on this forum would say that eating raw food is healthy - and certainly it is not unhealthy. The arguments that come up are not about whether eating raw food is healthy, it's about the claims that some rawfoodists make, which can appear to be unscientific and lack evidence.

I think Low carb diets are very dangerous and Unhealthy.

Yes, we know... you say this on any thread involving protein. And I feel like a broken record when I say... no one was asking you whether or not you feel it is healthy. You've lectured us on the evils of protein a million times... we get where you stand.

I very much agree with what xzebrasx said. You can acheive the same results/effect with slightly higher carbs than that.

You can get lean on the Coffee and cigerett diet. Is it a good idea? No just like eatting a unhealthy diet like that other then for very short periods of time to trim a little extra fat for comp. besides that it would not be needed for anyone. Anyone loses weight with proper diet and exercise

I really don't think it's dangerous to be on a ketosis for a while. You can use fair amounts of carbs but you have to time them near physical exercise if you want ketosis to work efficiently.

I believe ketosis is the fastest way to get rid of excess fat and I think I'll try it when I'll go on a cutting phase. But it's going to take a while, since I don't have nearly enough muscle under my fat. I do know it will feel like s**t for the first week or two but after that you should be fine, with lots of energy. I think liver can produce about 200 grams of glucose per day so you'll have carbs in your body, but the carbs are made of your own fat by your liver.

In other words, I agree with xzebrasx and veggieprincess.

In that, she says she eats fruit 3 times a day - so that's going to still be a considerable amount of carbs, along with other things like oats, rice, chocolate, soy milk and other soy products and stuff. I guess it depends what people mean by low carb, each person would have a different opinion of what they class as low