Gym rants

happened today when i arrived in the gym and wanted to do squats as usual at the only rack in the gym. i asked the guy how long his curling would take and he answered: "about 25 minutes". wtf? i told him that this is a squat rack not a curl rack and he left after one set..

Good thing he left. All gyms should have the "no curling in the squat rack" sign.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

happened today when i arrived in the gym and wanted to do squats as usual at the only rack in the gym. i asked the guy how long his curling would take and he answered: "about 25 minutes". wtf? i told him that this is a squat rack not a curl rack and he left after one set..

Good thing he left. All gyms should have the "no curling in the squat rack" sign.

If I end up training people at a gym, I am definitely pushing for such a sign.

On the Swiss ball squat and similar things: I am really starting to hate Swiss and BOSU exercises. They are so trendy, but aren't anywhere near as useful as people think. They are great for core and balance training, but when I see someone go through a routine, doing every exercise with it, I almost want to shove the person off.

http://super-trainer.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/bosu-barbell.jpg

WTF?

yeah, i've seen a lot of lame crap like this at my gym.

there's this fool who comes to the gym everyday, stands in front of the mirror, right in front of the cable crossover machine, and does slow motion karate moves for about an hour!

there's a bunch of showoffs at my gym and you can tell, they don't have a life.

I am really getting sick of seeing all these people with cell phones in the gym. Every time I am at the gym there is at least 2 women on the Stair climber talking on their phones, 1 guy texting in between sets and one younger girl chatting it up during her stretching routine. Why bother. If you come to the gym come to workout not to chat or text. Hell you can do that anywhere else on this earth.

Guy yesterday asked me if I needed a spot on dumbbell presses, I said no. He spotted me anyways, for 5 sets, and made me do forced reps. Force-spots is not okay.

Haha! That sounds super awkward.

Edited by xCx

Guy yesterday asked me if I needed a spot on dumbbell presses, I said no. He spotted me anyways, for 5 sets, and made me do forced reps. Force-spots is not okay.

Haha! That sound super awkward.

I don't know if akward is the right word . The thing is, I like doing forced reps but I want them planned out. He just forced himself on me despite the fact that I said no. I'm kind of a rep-rape-victim to be honest.

Lately my gym has been over run with Stupid people,

I know that they tend to breed fairly well, but up until now they have only been at my gym in small numbers.

1. Newspaper Man - he brings a newspaper with him to the gym to read between sets. Eg. Do 5 or 6 partial squats, read the newspaper for 10 mins... Do a few Dumbbell Bench Presses with the princess weights, read the newspaper for 10 mins

2. Stupid Fcuking Exercise Guy - My gym buddy and I, tend to watch this guy so we can have a laugh ( I asked him about what he was doing etc, thinking maybe he needed help and did ridiculous exercises because he didn't know any better, and copped a whole bunch of attitude, so he deserves to be laughed at)...

Exercise Example 1 - Side Jumping Axe Cut thing - Get a Cable, then jump to the side, whilst swinging your arms sort of axe cut style, jump back to the starting position and repeat... (Good for Obliques... not yours, it's for the people watching and laughing)

Exercise Example 2 - Cable Curls - Back Variation - Grab a flat bar and a cable and put a moderate amount of weight on it. Do curls with about a 50% range of movement, but make sure you use your back plenty to make this exercise benificial. Rock backwards and forwards as much as humanly possible, range of movement on this is important, time it with the curling movments.

3. The Mouth - Over weight with not a lot of muscle tone? Well if you can't walk the walk, then make sure you can talk the talk. Give people advice, chat to the trainers, train newbies in the gym, all the while averaging around 1 set every 20 mins! When you do actually do a set, make sure you grab the heaviest weight possible, then swing it, or use about a 20% range of motion. Afterwards talk about how big you are getting and how pumped you feel... Eg. Dumbbell bench Press - Grab the 50kg - 110lbs dumbbells, get a spotter to help you on this one (Don't want to risk getting squashed - oh hang on, you are using dumbbells - 0h well). Lift the weights into starting position with the help of the spotter. Lower the weight about 6", with the help of your spotter, groan, then push it back to the starting position, making sure your spotter does most of the work, repeat 3 times, then drop the weight... Good Work, now you should go and give someone advice... Oh, there is a massive guy that looks lost, I'd better go chat to him....

1. Newspaper Man - he brings a newspaper with him to the gym to read between sets. Eg. Do 5 or 6 partial squats, read the newspaper for 10 mins... Do a few Dumbbell Bench Presses with the princess weights, read the newspaper for 10 mins

I have to say that, during a particularly rough squat routine where I typically needed 8-10 minutes rest between sets, I have read the newspaper while I was resting One time I even brought in my math text book to read... I did make sure no one was around to see, though

Dudes who have bigger arms than legs...

Oh man, there's plenty of those at my gym. There's one group of guys who train together, who were standing around the other day, chatting about how they don't train legs. I heard one of them say "Oh yeah I can squat 180 kg".. I've seen this guy "squat". I wouldn't even call his squats partial squats. More like bouncing up and down with about 5 cm range of motion..

Usually my gym has some crappy dance radio station in the speakers but the last two days a mix cd has been playing. It features music that will make you physched and pumped as fuck. For example Jeff Buckleys version of Halleluljah. Instead of focusing on lifting heavy I just think of how fucked up my love life is.

Usually my gym has some crappy dance radio station in the speakers but the last two days a mix cd has been playing. It features music that will make you physched and pumped as fuck. For example Jeff Buckleys version of Halleluljah. Instead of focusing on lifting heavy I just think of how fucked up my love life is.

Hahaha. Great song definitely wrong setting. At least on the playlist at my gym they had Jeff Buckley's "Last Goodbye" slightly more upbeat.

• 3 weeks later...

Just as I though nothing could get any more annoying than the medicin ball craze, lord and behold a new fad hits my gym. Apparently the medicin ball isn't enough, no! now you have to perform every exercise in a sloth-like manner. Imagine walking into your gym only to notice everyone moving in slow motion.. Scared the crap out of me as I thought I was having a stroke

Dudes who have bigger arms than legs...

Oh man, there's plenty of those at my gym. There's one group of guys who train together, who were standing around the other day, chatting about how they don't train legs. I heard one of them say "Oh yeah I can squat 180 kg".. I've seen this guy "squat". I wouldn't even call his squats partial squats. More like bouncing up and down with about 5 cm range of motion..

This was really bad in my college, because guys were after quick fix beach bodies, using 'roids and such. We had a hypodermic needle depository in our locker room.

At least it leaves the curl rack open more often for squatting.

• 2 weeks later...

1. I'm tired of people coming up to me and asking me what Kettlebells are and why am I using them. I politely say that I'm in the middle of a set and I will speak to them later if they are interested.

2. Not happy about a guy checking me out in the shower room the other day. I'm not homosexual nor am I homophobic, but that was way out of line.

Maximus.