non vegan spouse frustrations

Barb123

Any advice on dealing with a non vegan husband? He's generally supportive to some degree but refuses to even try my vegan dishes. Lately he blames every little sniffle I have on being a vegan. I've tried to get him to read some books on the topic and even a magazine but he thinks this is "a phase". VERY frustrating and to make matters worse there are no vegans at the gym or in my local area. Thank God for the Vegan bodybuilding and fitness community!

Any words of wisdom on dealing with this would be most appreciated.

He's generally supportive to some degree but refuses to even try my vegan dishes.

This is two contradicting statements in one sentence. Just hearing your side of the situation, to be honest it sounds like he really isn't supportive at all.

I have never been a fan of 'keyboard psychology', so the only advice I can give is that you should have some serious talks with him, explain your frustrations, and try and find a good compromise. Going to a pro psychologist is a good step too...

Thanks- you're right about the internet not being the go to source for advice......but it IS an accessible outlet at times. I'm making an appointment with a professional today. He is atleast willing to try that approach.....so here's to hoping it works!

Than you guys for all the feedback. I think we're slowly but surely working things out.....one day at atime.

Let it go, be you, and let him be him.

Someday he might change, but don't count on it, let it be a positive example, without telling him you are. If you love the person, you have to know we are all perceived as faulty by others.

I have a non-vegan husband so I can relate. He acknowledges all of the reasons to go vegan, but, in his own words, he "just likes meat too much."

Often I will make a veggie side-dish that is vegan and I will have some beans or tofu to go with it and he will cook himself a meat dish. Other than that I try not to criticize his food and he doesn't really comment on mine.

There are many vegans in this situation so you are not alone. It's a good sign that he has agreed to whatever professional help you both are going to see. If this was a huge problem like this becoming a personal issue he'd probably not agree to go. Your frustration most likely is coming from feeling like you have not been heard since our arguments to go vegan are rock solid and very convincing, how could he not go vegan? All his reasons are probably not very convincing to you, and they don't convince the rest of us either I agree with octo and the others on not pushing your husband to go vegan, and also for you to let the conversion or dealing with issue go and just be a positive model. Robert has espoused this philosophy for as long as I can remember and I think it's a great way to deal with a world that can be frustrating. We can live our lives the way we want and hopefully this will appeal to others more than getting in their face. It sounds like you both are working on this in a constructive way so I hope this continues. Stay positive and keep coming to the forum. This is a very supportive group with a great variety of experiences, knowledge and viewpoints.